Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

(reason - fall on the first pass stepped out of bounds, touched the floor on third pass, and just looked like she got hit by a truck). poor thing :(

And she's limping a bit too :( 11.8 (-0.3 penalties)

Aly is up next. 

Edited by Daisy
3 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

Jim Watson: "I don't like that people were EXPECTING her to win five gold medals. No one has ever done that. She has three golds and a bronze--that's spectacular!" Between that and Jon saying yesterday that an Olympic medal is an Olympic medal and it's great--no judgment--I give our livestream commentators major props.

Also love Jon asking self-proclaimed "dumb questions" about women's gymnastics to Courtney.

Why can't they be our prime time commentators? So much better than Al and Tim.

That poor Swiss gymnast.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Sad for Ponor, though. I still think the Sydney Olympics had the most fucked up gymnastics ever. From the misalignment of the vaulting horse that ended it for Khorkina to the stripping of the AA gold over fucking cold medicine. If that lost AA medal really did signal the end of it for Romania, that sucks. (Although I have my doubts about that claim by the melodramatic twosome on NBC, since they still took gold and silver.)

Plus didn't they retroactively give her the medal back? I thought they did. The reason for the decline is that they just weren't able to keep up and even on their good events, their form kinda sucked. They never improved bars and it was always very weak, and they were surpassed on beam and floor but other countries. Everyone got sick of the Romanian choo-choo.

I always thought they were overrated. They played it safe and it paid off a couple of times.

Edited by DawnDavenport

Aly's routine was good but not better than Biles. Her form is so bad. I'll be pissed if she outscores Simone. 

She may have stuck landings but horrible, horrible leaps and ugly legs.

• Love 5
Just now, DawnDavenport said:

Plus didn't they retroactively give her the medal back? I thought they did. The reason for the decline is that they just weren't able to keep up and even on their good events, their form kinda sucked. They never improved bars and it was always very weak, and they were surpassed on beam and floor but other countries. Everyone got sick of the Romanian choo-choo. 

She never got her medal back, unfortunately.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

Aly nailed it. I think that was cleaner and executed better than Simone. but I think SImone gets the difficulty. 

It really wasn't. Courtney is being diplomatic by saying she has form problems in the air. Aly has a lot of form problems and always has. Part of it is her poor flexibility compared to other gymnasts. Part of it is her inability to get a lot of amplitude in her leaps. Part of it is her not point toes and bending her legs. She has some ugly form.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, pivot said:

It really wasn't. Courtney is being diplomatic by saying she has form problems in the air. Aly has a lot of form problems and always has. Part of it is her poor flexibility compared to other gymnasts. Part of it is her inability to get a lot of amplitude in her leaps. Part of it is her not point toes and bending her legs. She has some ugly form.

I noticed that on the replays :) (the first time I was looking more on the landings, and such). 
I am noticing that Aly isn't very flexible. (which is weird, because you'd think a gymnast would be incredibly so). 

• Love 2

Amy Tinkler holds on for bronze.  YAY Simone and Aly!  Great job US ladies.  One of the best years we've ever had.  4/6 Golds.  Everyone minus Gabby gets an individual medal (not discounting you in any way Gabby we love you, screw the haters.)  A wonderful end to Marta's Final Five.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, DawnDavenport said:

Why is Ferrari even using music? Her routine is completely disconnected from what we're hearing. Terrible. 

Yeah, it was bad. Thrilled she didn't medal and not just because her routine was crap. She also said some incredibly racist stuff about Biles last year. 

Love this lineup. Nice to see Tinkler get a bronze. And for Biles to become the reigning Olympic Floor Champion. She truly is out of the world on this event.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Elsydeon said:

She never got her medal back, unfortunately.

what pissed me off on that - is that 4 years later that drug was taken off WADA's doping list. like crying out loud give the woman her medal. 

• Love 2
Just now, kittykat said:

Amy Tinkler holds on for bronze.  YAY Simone and Aly!  Great job US ladies.  One of the best years we've ever had.  4/6 Golds.  Everyone minus Gabby gets an individual medal (not discounting you in any way Gabby we love you, screw the haters.)  A wonderful end to Marta's Final Five.

Gabby has 3 golds total so I'm sure she's not too disappointed. So the Women have

Team Gold

AA: Gold, Silver

Vault: Gold

Bars: Silver

Beam: Silver, Bronze

Floor: Gold, Silver

What a feat!

• Love 7
Just now, Daisy said:

I noticed that on the replays :) (the first time I was looking more on the landings, and such). 
I am noticing that Aly isn't very flexible. (which is weird, because you'd think a gymnast would be incredibly so). 

She tends to get hammered for her poor flexibility, toe points and bent legs but this Olympics they really overlooked a lot of it. She scored a lot higher than I expected on many events. But, to Aly's credit, she has worked on her flexibility and toe points. She used to be a lot worse. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, pivot said:

Yeah, it was bad. Thrilled she didn't medal and not just because her routine was crap. She also said some incredibly racist stuff about Biles last year. 

Love this lineup. Nice to see Tinkler get a bronze. And for Biles to become the reigning Olympic Floor Champion. She truly is out of the world on this event.

Was it Ferrari or Ferraro who said the nasty stuff about Simone?

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

what pissed me off on that - is that 4 years later that drug was taken off WADA's doping list. like crying out loud give the woman her medal. 

I remember reading about the Andreea Raducan situation.  I felt so bad for her.  It was kind of out of her control and, yeah, the stupid ingredient was removed.  WAG in Sydney was just a bitter blotch on its history.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, kittykat said:

I remember reading about the Andreea Raducan situation.  I felt so bad for her.  It was kind of out of her control and, yeah, the stupid ingredient was removed.  WAG in Sydney was just a bitter blotch on its history.

I still very much maintain - the moment they realised the vault was off - that meet should have been scratched, and could have easily been done a day or two later. The fact that Svetlana Khorkina didn't go nuclear about learning that vault was the wrong height is beyond me, i would have gone legitimate Carrie in that situation. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, choclatechip45 said:

9 medals by the US women's team most ever. Previous was 8 for the '08 team. Simone has the most golds ever while Aly is now behind Shannon Miler for most Olympic Medals.

That's impressive. Miller is still ahead of Aly in National/World medals. But, Aly has definitely exceeded expectations. 

I am hoping Gabby sticks around for another Worlds so she goes out on a happier note and that Aly has everything she needs and retires. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Ferrari was the one Ferraro originally made the comment too. 

So I guess all the other Americans that beat them was because they were white? Ferrari was able to capitalize in a transition year when the new scoring and code was introduced. She's been a non-factor since. What about all the other white people between her (Ferlito) and Simone? I guess they don't count. It's not like she finished second or anything in a close battle. 

Edited by DawnDavenport
8 minutes ago, Apocalypse Cow said:

Was it Ferrari or Ferraro who said the nasty stuff about Simone?

Man, now I feel terrible. I've been blaming Ferrari for Ferraro's comments.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Apocalypse Cow said:

So, do we hate Ferrari because of that? Or did she do something else? I'm just wondering why everyone is made at her.  I don't care that she didn't medal, I'm just curious at the vitriol towards her.

The only thing I am aware of is that Carlotta Ferlito made her racist comments to Ferrari.  I don't hate Ferrari for it because one cannot control what someone else says to them but YMMV.

Great medal ceremony. Congrats to all the winners!

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I still very much maintain - the moment they realised the vault was off - that meet should have been scratched, and could have easily been done a day or two later. The fact that Svetlana Khorkina didn't go nuclear about learning that vault was the wrong height is beyond me, i would have gone legitimate Carrie in that situation. 

I agree with you on that. Not a Khorkina fan but she had every right to be pissed. They are just lucky no one got seriously injured.

• Love 6
Just now, Apocalypse Cow said:

Carlitta Ferraro is the one who made the racist comment. To Vanessa Ferrari.  It's hard to keep those names straight.

No. Her name is Carlotta Ferlito.

I feel like I'm in a "who's on first" sketch.

• Love 22
10 minutes ago, pivot said:

That's impressive. Miller is still ahead of Aly in National/World medals. But, Aly has definitely exceeded expectations. 

I am hoping Gabby sticks around for another Worlds so she goes out on a happier note and that Aly has everything she needs and retires. 

Crazy that Gabby and Aly have the same exact individual World medals both have one. If Gabby wants to stick around she should try for 2017 worlds easier field.

I agree Aly exceeded expectations I remember when people thought she wouldn't make the 2012 team and she should only be a 3 event gymnast.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3