Type keyword(s) to search

Synchronized Swimming: Really?

There actually is a mixed duet event at the World Championships now so we might actually see a more co-ed sport for duet and group at the Olympic level come 2024 or 2028 if FINA is willing to tweak their quota for aquatics and carve it out of existing synchro allotment.

Given the success of pairs and dance in figure skating, I think that mixed gender synchro actually has a lot of potential to be something interesting. The height you'd get from three or four dudes flinging someone into the air in group performance from the water could be rather spectacular. The only thing I dread is the inevitable recycling of the figure skating pairs/dance music standards as Romeo and Juliet artistically drown themselves.

(I'll admit I've come to automatically defend synchro and rhythmic gymnastics because it seems like they're devalued as 'real sports' because they're largely women in competition but if an artistic sport is more gender-balanced like figure skating and artistic gymnastics, of course it's a real sport and not a joke punchline.)

• Love 3

I went to the synchro prelims in '96 in Atlanta. I didn't know ANYTHING about the sport, but the people seated around us were experts and happy to explain things, like when they put their legs up out of the water, look for the height above the water line - the higher the better.

Just try holding your breath when the swimmers go under. Even sitting relaxed on my couch, I can't do it. I remember on an interview with one of the teams years ago, the interviewer asked "how long can you hold your breath?"  They said they didn't know (!), so they did it right then and timed them. I think it was over 3 minutes, and they didn't act like they were passing out at the end; they just gave a little "phew" and let out their breath. Amazing!

• Love 2

I haven't watched Synchro in like, forever, but watching the women's duet competition now: these women are CUT. In that long, lean, ballerina way. Some of it still comes across a little cheesy, but the choreography is way more sophisticated than I remember it. (Who knows about Team synchro, though.)

The elements are so physical, and most of them are done with the swimmers upside down; the breath control is awesome.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

It's the out of water choreography they do to start their routines that really makes me laugh. They should really start from one of the diving platforms to avoid that weird out of water stuff.

Yep. And they should also lose the whole 'theme' thing. The Canadian duet has something to do with woodland creatures or something. Ugh. That's not helping to legitimize your sport ladies. Lose it.

Edited by briochetwist

Being physically demanding doesn’t necessarily make something a sport. Ballet is hell on the body. There are competitions for it, too. But it isn't a sport. Same with ballroom dancing.  I watched synchronized swimming the first year it was in the Olympics, just out of curiosity. I can't say it ever interested me enough to care about it, though. 

23 minutes ago, briochetwist said:

Yep. And they should also lose the whole 'theme' thing. The Canadian duet has something to do with woodland creatures or something. Ugh. That's not helping to legitimize your sport ladies. Lose it.

Um, excuse you! Some people like cheesy and weird. It's part of the appeal.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, GinnyMars said:

Um, excuse you! Some people like cheesy and weird. It's part of the appeal.

Well forgive me, but this is the Olympics, and I don't think that cheesy dance moves on the pool deck and pretending to catch nymphs and sprites while swimming in a pool is very sport-like. But that's just my opinion and you're most definitely entitled to yours.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

Being physically demanding doesn’t necessarily make something a sport.

I know there are debates about whether or not events that have an element of subjective judging can truly be classified as "sports": gymnastics, diving, figure skating, half pipe snowboarding, dressage, etc. I go back and forth about this issue, but I think I fall more heavily in favor of calling them sports, mainly because they do have an objective element of judging too (required parts of the routines that have precise guidelines and techniques), which I think is weighted more heavily than the subjective "execution" points in most cases.

Even though synchronized swimming in particular is not my favorite thing to watch, I'm always impressed with how strong and flexible these competitors are, and that they are able to do such amazing things while maintaining huge grins. I can't imagine many other athletes being able to compete with such controlled facial expressions!

• Love 3