Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

So in regards to Billy Lynn’s Long Walk Home, I had a conversation with a friend this weekend and he told me that Ang Lee shot the movie in 4D and the whole thing was some kind of technology experiment.  The film was releases in like 40 markets or something that was all it was supposed to be.  How stupid (and expensive) is that?  The movie industry really pisses me off sometimes.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:07 AM, SopranoKris said:

30s are great! You're more mature mentally, but yet still young physically. Once you hit 45, it all goes downhill physically. I can workout every day and can't get rid of the "softness", UGH! That clock is closer to 50 for me...sigh.

Totally happening for me!  I do work out everyday and HARD but I'm now always the softest looking one in class.  I also love my candy, cookies, noodles, rice, etc. so guess it is 80% diet!

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:41 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Progesterone cream and copious amounts of vitamin D has bought me a few years to whip my arse into shape. It really has affected my metabolism and energy level, but you have to use the right amount of progesterone. You're in the medical field, I bet you know WAY more about hormones than I do!!

And I have a mask that actually isometrically "lifts" your facial muscles. No, I don't sell it. Used to. But the company changed hands and now I don't. But it's good stuff. If you put it on half of your face, after you wash it off, you look like you've had a stroke. It's pretty amazing. But you have to lie on your back and sort of hang your head off the bed when it's setting. It's rather time consuming but it's worth it.

what????   you look like you've had a stroke?  is that a good thing?

does Vitamin D help?  I just found out I have a very very deficient level of vitamin D ... hmmm, can I eat cake everyday if I start taking vitamins?

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Totally happening for me!  I do work out everyday and HARD but I'm now always the softest looking one in class.  I also love my candy, cookies, noodles, rice, etc. so guess it is 80% diet!

I always thought the "low carb" stuff was a lot of nonsense & I'd argue with anyone who told me otherwise.  Plus, Cheez-Its are practically a food group for me.  Well, I saw a documentary called "Fathead" on YouTube, and, ummmmm, yeah, there really are scientifically sound reasons why low carb works.  I've been eating more meats & vegetables lately, and as hard as it is for me to believe, what I've heard is true, when you stop the cravings really do go away...in my case surprisingly fast.  Of course when Christmas comes around all bets will be off!  But really, it's what you do day-to-day that matters, it's just a matter of being able to get back on track!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ByTor said:

I always thought the "low carb" stuff was a lot of nonsense & I'd argue with anyone who told me otherwise.  Plus, Cheez-Its are practically a food group for me.  Well, I saw a documentary called "Fathead" on YouTube, and, ummmmm, yeah, there really are scientifically sound reasons why low carb works.  I've been eating more meats & vegetables lately, and as hard as it is for me to believe, what I've heard is true, when you stop the cravings really do go away...in my case surprisingly fast.  Of course when Christmas comes around all bets will be off!  But really, it's what you do day-to-day that matters, it's just a matter of being able to get back on track!

But butter cookies and BEC sandwiches are so delish?  :)

13 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

You look like you have had a stroke because half of your face has moved up and half of it hasn't.

Most women in their 40s have a major D deficiency. The key for me was to find one that's very easily absorbed. Estrogen is a fat storage hormone, topical (NOT oral...it doesn't absorb) progesterone, to simplify it, sort of "fights" the effects of progesterone dominance. Included but not limited to weight and water retention. I know it sounds like new age crap, but it works.

WOMAN! Do you want cake or do you want dat azz?!

Can't do low carb diets. Kidneys are shot. From doing low carb diets. Quinoa (in appropriate portions) is my friend.

I dunno ... cake is pretty damn good... sigh.  ok must be strong and must be better.  help me oh wise one because I would be shoving cake in my mouth breakfast lunch dinner if possible.  sigh, as I type, I'm eating butter cookies with sprinkles and it's only 8am here!!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

BTW, please just read through the lines if I refer to this as "Billy Flynn's long walk home" or "Billy Flynn's long halftime walk" or any combination thereof. It's not sticking in the ol noggin for some reason.

Ha!  I so got the title wrong! 

You’re all gorgeous as far as I’m concerned.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

HAHA!!! That's freaking awesome. Seriously. I just found the right combo that makes me NOT morbidly obese and NOT murder someone in a pre-menopausal fit. I personally don't adhere to the "no sweets" thing. But it's a choice.

I hear ya!  Honestly, I think being insanely strict & rigid to a certain way of eating is unhealthy in its own right....unless of course you need to be particularly strict for health reasons, like a diabetic staying away from sweets.

I've been hearing grumblings that the teams (and, by association, the NFL) has all this money to throw at players (among other things), why are they sticking the cities with the bill to build a stadium with all the extras?

This was by @EricaShadows from a different thread, and I just want to comment that I cannot possibly agree more with this.  Why screw over taxpayers?  Let the million/billionaire owners foot the bill.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Exactly. I have to be extreme with some dietary stuff. Lettuce, nuts, anything with a peeling, anything high fiber. At the risk of oversharing, I had two feet of my innards removed. I have wicked diverticulitis and have to be so careful what I eat. I basically spent the summer of '14 in the E.R.! Lots of veggies are off limits so it's hard to not just eat kraft mac and cheese and cupcakes. Which, from a digestive standpoint, are A+ foods, but are nutritional asphalt. My diagnosis is no excuse to live on white food and blimp out!

whoa ... I hope you feel better now .. that sounds tough

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

guys, in the spirit of all this healthy talk, I wanted to ask if anyone had any good cookie recipes?  I'm in the mood to bake!  I'm not very talented in the kitchen so hopefully nothing that can be messed up? 

This is my favorite "sinfully delicious" cookie recipe. So incredibly easy to make. About a million calories per cookie...YUM!

http://www.eaglebrand.com/recipe-detail/sevenlayermagiccookiebars-3966

• Love 1
1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

I've made these for three office parties, two family gatherings, Christmas at my house and the bigget test: The husband. Nobody believed they were what they were and they pried the recipe from me. They are soft and delicious and super addicting. I triple the recipe and freeze half because they're SUCH a great snack or even a breakfast. They do have splenda chocolate chips out there as well. http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013/04/flourless-chocolate-chip-chickpea-blondies-with-sea-salt-vegan-gluten-free-healthy/

I'm neither vegan nor gluten free, but these really sound great.  I'm going to have to Pin this recipe.  Thanks for the link :)

• Love 2

I've made these for three office parties, two family gatherings, Christmas at my house and the bigget test: The husband. Nobody believed they were what they were and they pried the recipe from me. They are soft and delicious and super addicting. I triple the recipe and freeze half because they're SUCH a great snack or even a breakfast. They do have splenda chocolate chips out there as well. http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013/04/flourless-chocolate-chip-chickpea-blondies-with-sea-salt-vegan-gluten-free-healthy/

wow sounds delish ... it also sounds hard though ...

• Love 1

I had a sales luncheon for Christmas for work today and I work on the front desk but I'm technically a part of sales as well so the non sales lady who covers the desk when I'm out was watching the desk for me. She was told we'd be there till 2 which was a mistake by the person who told her the times of the lunch cause we're usually there till 3. So she calls up the other girl she's friends with and says how much longer are you guys going to be, at like 2:15. I called her back and was like we didn't even have dessert yet, I'll come when I'm finished. Whyyy can't I just enjoy this? I hardly ever get to participate in things.

TL:DR i got shortchanged a half hour for a sales lunch that's supposed to last 3 hours. Pissed me off.

11 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

I had a sales luncheon for Christmas for work today and I work on the front desk but I'm technically a part of sales as well so the non sales lady who covers the desk when I'm out was watching the desk for me. She was told we'd be there till 2 which was a mistake by the person who told her the times of the lunch cause we're usually there till 3. So she calls up the other girl she's friends with and says how much longer are you guys going to be, at like 2:15. I called her back and was like we didn't even have dessert yet, I'll come when I'm finished. Whyyy can't I just enjoy this? I hardly ever get to participate in things.

TL:DR i got shortchanged a half hour for a sales lunch that's supposed to last 3 hours. Pissed me off.

so annoying!  did you end up going back before you were finished?  did she have something important to go to or do afterwards?  That's unfortunate she was told the wrong information though.

• Love 1
Just now, tobeyoungagain said:

so annoying!  did you end up going back before you were finished?  did she have something important to go to or do afterwards?  That's unfortunate she was told the wrong information though.

I finished my dessert like insanely quickly and left. Everyone just started coming back like 10 minutes ago. I don't think she had anything important, her boss who is the CEO isn't even here. She could have done everything she needed to do on my desk. I may look pissed off right now but I have a right to lol she's been doing this 3 years now for me, it's not like this is the first time we've had a sales luncheon. It's always been at least 2 and a half hours.

6 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

I finished my dessert like insanely quickly and left. Everyone just started coming back like 10 minutes ago. I don't think she had anything important, her boss who is the CEO isn't even here. She could have done everything she needed to do on my desk. I may look pissed off right now but I have a right to lol she's been doing this 3 years now for me, it's not like this is the first time we've had a sales luncheon. It's always been at least 2 and a half hours.

that's annoying you couldn't relax and enjoy yourself.  ugh ... flash her a DCC worthy smile and take a deep breath.  Was it a good dessert?

• Love 1
Just now, tobeyoungagain said:

that's annoying you couldn't relax and enjoy yourself.  ugh ... flash her a DCC worthy smile and take a deep breath.  Was it a good dessert?

Haha she's nice, it's just annoying I couldn't enjoy the lunch. It was pretty good, it was a lava cake but not really lavaish lol

14 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

guys, in the spirit of all this healthy talk, I wanted to ask if anyone had any good cookie recipes?  I'm in the mood to bake!  I'm not very talented in the kitchen so hopefully nothing that can be messed up? 

Gingerbread Cookies

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 cup butter or margarine

3 tbsp molasses

1 egg

2 tbsp milk

3 1/4 cups flour

2 tsps baking soda

3 tsps cinnamon

2 tsps ginger

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cardamom

1 tsp cloves

Beat sugar, butter, and molasses in a large bowl until well mixed.  Beat in egg and milk until blended.  Mix in salt, soda, and spices; then add flour 1/2 a cup at a time.  Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour (up to 24).  Heat oven to 350.  Roll out dough and cut into shapes with floured cutters.  Place 1" apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 6-7 minutes or until set.  Remove to wire rack and cool.

Absolutely the best gingerbread cookie recipe I have ever made - people go crazy over them and if you like pillowy soft, cinnamon-spice, melt-in-your-mouth cookies these are it.

Also, does anyone else here love no-bake cookies?  I thought everyone did, but when I moved to Chicago there were so many people here who had never heard of them before.  I'm planning to make some this weekend for sure.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Spray a crockpot with non stick spray.

I have two crock pots that I never use; one was a gift, one I bought so I could reheat meatballs for a potluck, so ok not never, I used it once :)  I just don't like the idea of an electrical appliance being in operation all day when I'm not home.  My sister, however, swears by hers; I quoted the nonstick spray comment because my sister swears by the crock pot liner bags.

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I have two crock pots that I never use; one was a gift, one I bought so I could reheat meatballs for a potluck, so ok not never, I used it once :)  I just don't like the idea of an electrical appliance being in operation all day when I'm not home.  My sister, however, swears by hers; I quoted the nonstick spray comment because my sister swears by the crock pot liner bags.

You might want to try an Instant Pot. I got one on Black Friday from Amazon and knocked out a pot roast in less than two hours. It's a pressure cooker crock pot hybrid and it's freaking awesome. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

I'm a native Minneapolitan and my grammy'd slap my mouth if I uttered "No bake" and "cookies" in the same sentence. I'd be open to try them though! Got any good recipes?

LOL sounds like your grammy and mine must have been friends....mine lived in Duluth for a while, perhaps they met and swapped recipes there ?

No-bake cookies aren't actually cookies, really, I suppose - they're more chocolate-peanut-butter-oatmeal-fudge clusters - it's funny, I thought everyone loved them but no one outside of Michigan seems to know what they are - are those what you made?

27c23fd516b3225feae53680c32df239.jpg

C8PF8ROSfqvwmZUtBDZc_no-bake-cookies.jpg

They are delicious and my calories counts are about to go to hell because I have every intention of making them this weekend.  I use this recipe:

No Bake Cookies

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup butter

4 tbsp cocoa

1/2 cup milk

2 1/2 cups 1-minute quick oats

2 tsps vanilla

1/2 cup peanut butter

Heat sugar, butter, cocoa, and milk together in a saucepan.  Once mixture is at a full rolling boil, cook for 1 1/2 minutes, stirring as you go.  Remove from heat, and stir in remaining ingredients.  Drop in delicious blobs on waxed paper, and allow to set (usually an hour or so, if you can stand to wait).  Devour immediately thereafter.

In other news, you made me extremely hungry for lasagna, and very sad since I do not yet own a slow cooker or a crockpot.  Also, what is the difference between a crockpot and a slow cooker?  Is there any difference, or can you make the same things in both?

On 12/16/2016 at 6:11 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Anyone know where @Oranaiche is?! Has she been around and I just have missed her?

I'm here! I go off the grid at Christmas because I work so many hours and I'm So. Damn. Tired. I've popped on to do a bit of reading here and there. Miss you girls!

Guffman Club Unite!

(I tried to insert a gif of Corky from my gif keyboard but it didn't work. ?)

• Love 3

@QuiteContraryMoni I've almost violently murdered a few people in the last couple of months, but thankfully for me you don't go to jail for almost homicides. I'd be f***ed if you did.

There was an episode of "Doctor Who" where they had a creature on a distant planet that could read minds, and anyone who thought about murdering, stealing, etc., got arrested. Hmm...guess it's a good thing I live here on earth.

Ummm, anyway, how about them Cowboys?

PS -- congrats on the new house!

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

There was an episode of "Doctor Who" where they had a creature on a distant planet that could read minds, and anyone who thought about murdering, stealing, etc., got arrested. Hmm...guess it's a good thing I live here on earth..

Was that NewWho or Classic Who?  I don't remember that episode, but then, there's nine seasons (or series) of the reboot and probably twice that of the Classic (my math could be WAY off, though),   The Weeping Angels are SCARY (though less so after that whole two-parter with "Bob") though they and the Vashta Nerada are so far my favorite of the villains.

40 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

Was that NewWho or Classic Who?  I don't remember that episode, but then, there's nine seasons (or series) of the reboot and probably twice that of the Classic (my math could be WAY off, though),   The Weeping Angels are SCARY (though less so after that whole two-parter with "Bob") though they and the Vashta Nerada are so far my favorite of the villains.

This is a NewWho episode. Season 8, episode 5. It's called "Time Heist." It's one of my favorite of the Capaldi era. He's my least favorite Doctor yet, but I did really enjoy that episode. It's like a mashup of the Doctor and "Oceans 11" all in one.

Since you mentioned the Vashta Nerada, "Silence in the Library" is one of my favorite episodes EVER. So so good. Are you currently watching the series?

2 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

So, gals, I'm so excited to share this! We just bought a house, and sold our old one. It's a nicely finished townhome but the master bath needs a little updating. Just cosmetic stuff. It's kind of got his and hers bathrooms, and the hubby's is totally updated. It's got a self flushing toilet and everything!

So this means that I've got to do a few things to the "hers" bathroom. So, I've decided.....A DCC THEMED BATHROOM!!! Navy, Royal, Pink, grey, silver and white. The countertop is ugly so I'm going to use navy tinted chalkboard paint (an excellent laminate countertop makeover-super durable and easy to use. Cheap too!). I'm doing a custom rhinestone shower curtain, hot pink and navy towels, a faux crystal chandelier and well, even a framed "Optimist Creed" and a few other touches! I'll do before and after pics and post them as soon as I'm done mid-January. I even got two mini fatheads of Alyssa and Kaitlin Ilseng! I'm SO excited to show you girls how it turns out! My inspiration is: DCC locker room + The Star facility + the DCC history/uniforms. Husband has made a garlic necklace and has armed himself with a crucifix but I don't care. It's MY bathroom!!

Congratulations!!!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

This is a NewWho episode. Season 8, episode 5. It's called "Time Heist." It's one of my favorite of the Capaldi era. He's my least favorite Doctor yet, but I did really enjoy that episode. It's like a mashup of the Doctor and "Oceans 11" all in one.

Since you mentioned the Vashta Nerada, "Silence in the Library" is one of my favorite episodes EVER. So so good. Are you currently watching the series?

I REALLY liked the Russell T Davies years and have slowly drifted away after Moffatt took over so I must have either missed the episode or watched and forgot it.  However, I have to give Moffatt credit for the Weeping Angels and a few other good episodes.  If kept on a tight leash, Moffatt is amazing, otherwise, he tends to get a bit sloppy with pacing, loose ends and tangents among other things, but that's just me.  I did love "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead" and "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances".  Those four and and "Blink" are my top five favorite episodes.

Ironically, there's a vision care place in my area that's called "Blink".  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ClosetBachJunkie said:

Those are all my faves too!  And I'm in the same boat- I drifted away after Moffat took over, which is weird because all those episodes are Moffat episodes.  I just loved Tennant so much I can't get into a new Doctor...

I felt that way for the first season of Matt Smith, but then I fell in love with him. I honestly flip flop between which one is my favorite depending on the day and my mood. I also adored Eccleston, but with only one season of him, he's not quite as near and dear to my heart.

Capaldi is a different story. I just can't get into him. I will say the penultimate episode of season 9 was EPIC, but I have really struggled through his seasons in general. I wish they would stop trying to make the electric guitar and sonic sunglasses happen. At least they gave him a screwdriver back before season 9 ended.

On 12/17/2016 at 8:46 AM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Know what weirds me out? A plastic bag that can withstand hours of high heat. Like, what's IN that??

STOP IT!!! You just changed my life. BTW....my galpal and I are starting our own quilting stitch n bitch!

Seriously. Hot plastic will apparently kill us all. 

And YAY for the stitch and bitch! It's what I did all afternoon, right after I gifted that dick pillow. Ah, quilting. So mannerly ?

• Love 2
20 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

So, gals, I'm so excited to share this! We just bought a house, and sold our old one. It's a nicely finished townhome but the master bath needs a little updating. Just cosmetic stuff. It's kind of got his and hers bathrooms, and the hubby's is totally updated. It's got a self flushing toilet and everything!

So this means that I've got to do a few things to the "hers" bathroom. So, I've decided.....A DCC THEMED BATHROOM!!! Navy, Royal, Pink, grey, silver and white. The countertop is ugly so I'm going to use navy tinted chalkboard paint (an excellent laminate countertop makeover-super durable and easy to use. Cheap too!). I'm doing a custom rhinestone shower curtain, hot pink and navy towels, a faux crystal chandelier and well, even a framed "Optimist Creed" and a few other touches! I'll do before and after pics and post them as soon as I'm done mid-January. I even got two mini fatheads of Alyssa and Kaitlin Ilseng! I'm SO excited to show you girls how it turns out! My inspiration is: DCC locker room + The Star facility + the DCC history/uniforms. Husband has made a garlic necklace and has armed himself with a crucifix but I don't care. It's MY bathroom!!

That's why he has his own. You do what you want to do with yours. That sounds like a fun, kitzchy room :)

7 hours ago, kalibean said:

Seriously. Hot plastic will apparently kill us all. 

And YAY for the stitch and bitch! It's what I did all afternoon, right after I gifted that dick pillow. Ah, quilting. So mannerly ?

Can we count knitting for stich-n-bitch? I'm not a quilter (can't sew a straight seam for the life of me), but I can knit just about anything. I just finished my degree and I have a little over 8 months off from school before I start my dual masters/doctorate program. I would *love* to knit some Aran sweaters during my down time. Not to mention, read a book for FUN again :)

• Love 2

So I went to NYC on Friday, went to the NBC studio tour and in the welcome video they had a video from a skit that I forgot who had as their avatar. I was like OMG

I certainly don't see why knitting should be left out of the loop! (HAHA! HA! HAHAH!! SEE WHAT I DID THERE!? HUH!? DO YA GET IT? HUH? GET IT?!). Sorry. I injured my back and I'm all hopped up on goofballs over here so I've lost my mind.

I am starting off quilting but I would LOVE to learn knitting and crocheting.

Could you please DO something with your life?! My god. Have a little ambition.

Hahaha, yes! No ambition, you goofball :)

Crocheting is easier to start with, but knitting produces more wearable garments. I only crochet for blankets. Sweaters, I only do knitting. My granny is an avid quilter and I wish I could make some of the gorgeous creations she's come up with over the years. I have no eye for it, nor the sewing skills. I can seam a sweater, but that doesn't involve a sewing machine.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

So I went to NYC on Friday, went to the NBC studio tour and in the welcome video they had a video from a skit that I forgot who had as their avatar. I was like OMG

Really cheezy, right?

Just now, PBSLover said:

All those “corporate" tours are silly to me.

In all honesty, this one was kind of cool. I got to see them creating the sets for Saturday's SNL. I went inside of the studio where they shoot nightly news with lester holt as well. It would have been cooler if I had seen a celebrity though lol

I personally love factory tours.  Back in the day when I was an auditor I specialized in Commercial Enterprises because I love manufacturing and the tours!  I saw such interesting things being made...my favorites being chocolate, beer, and storm doors. 

• Love 1

I was going to write the same thing.  The behind the scenes at NBC aren’t so great, it’s the people that make them interesting.  I was at the SNL studio and I didn’t even realize where I was for about 1/2 hour.

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I personally love factory tours.  Back in the day when I was an auditor I specialized in Commercial Enterprises because I love manufacturing and the tours!  I saw such interesting things being made...my favorites being chocolate, beer, and storm doors. 

You'd be interested in a mill tour of my work then. We make steel to certain specifications for industries like Aerospace, Medical tools and such. You can watch them roll the steel on the mills. I found it hypnotizing.

4 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Sounds VERY interesting!

I always find it awkward walking through there in my fancy clothes while they're all in jeans and a shirt lol I'm not down there unless I have a meeting but that's rare for the receptionist lol