Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 07/11/2016

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 6:18 AM, NewDigs said:

I think the difference is that cross-dressers don't necessarily identify nor want to be the opposite gender. Eddie does identify with the opposite gender. Ergo, transgender.

I disagree.   He doesn't identify himself as a woman, so it's confusing when he says he is transsexual.  I think the confusion is that he calls himself a transsexual  MAN.  Usually, if someone is born male and identifies as female, they call themselves a transgendered or transsexual WOMAN.  A transgender man would be someone born female who identifies and appears male.  Izzard was born male, identifies himself as male (because he calls himself a man)  but also says he is transgender, and sometimes dresses like a woman, sometimes like a man, with some more feminine embellishments like lipstick and nail polish.

As I understand Izzard's view, he is being deliberately confusing, saying that gender and sexual orientation do not define people, as he sees himself as having both male and female aspects. He has called himself a straight transvestite, a male lesbian, a transgender man, among other labels. 

As I understand it, it's a non-binary way of identifying.  Binary means you are one OR the other, male or female, the non-binary view rejects this.   Izzard is putting himself in that "both/neither"  category.  he is male and female.

• Love 4