Type keyword(s) to search

One-Punch Man - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Saitama kicks ass inside the ship while the other heroes eventually kick ass outside. Saitama confronts the leader, who turns out to have the same motivation that he does; finding someone who can give him a decent fight.

So Saitama gets kicked to the moon and then jumps back. Both in a few seconds. It took the Apollo missions around 2 days to do that. He also landed a few feet from where he started. I loved that the action was paused for a bit so that it could sink in what just happened. Even that and his Serious Punch isn't even the height of Saitama's power.

So Drive Knight seems to know about Genos's history. I wonder if he is implicating Metal Knight in order to throw suspicion off of himself.

Amai Mask is a bit psycho, isn't he? I guess the 'Mask' part of his name is apt. Also, Speed O-Sound Sonic shows up late again.

I'm glad I started watching this show, I thought it looked kind of dumb based on the commercials. I'll be back for season 2. See you all then, probably a few years.

If Amai Mask acts and talks like that on a regular basis, it's a wonder that he's considered a hero at all. He just murdered a bunch of prisoners in cold blood.

I noticed that the tsuba (hand guard) on Atomic Samurai's sword looks like a stylized atom.

4 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

At least they didn't drag out the big fight for 10-15 episodes like Dragonball Z would have. ;-)

It helps that Saitama is so impatient about getting on with it. His "blah, blah, blah" comment cracked me up.

Edited by Sandman87
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:57 AM, ZoqFotPik said:

So Saitama gets kicked to the moon and then jumps back. Both in a few seconds. It took the Apollo missions around 2 days to do that. He also landed a few feet from where he started. I loved that the action was paused for a bit so that it could sink in what just happened. Even that and his Serious Punch isn't even the height of Saitama's power.

So Drive Knight seems to know about Genos's history. I wonder if he is implicating Metal Knight in order to throw suspicion off of himself.

Amai Mask is a bit psycho, isn't he? I guess the 'Mask' part of his name is apt. Also, Speed O-Sound Sonic shows up late again.

I'm glad I started watching this show, I thought it looked kind of dumb based on the commercials. I'll be back for season 2. See you all then, probably a few years.

I LOVED that finale!!! Man, this is one of the funniest, coolest animes they've ever had!

I'm so glad there's gonna be a season 2,. At the end of this I was going, "I want MORE!"

10 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I wonder if we'll ever see "Consecutive Serious Punches" and what the level above "Serious" is.

This made me think up a stupid joke:

Q: What does Saitama drink when he's really thirsty?

Spoiler

A: Consecutive Hawaiian Punches.

• Love 1

Caught up with the remaining episodes. If you liked the anime, pick up the manga. I'm thinking the second season will kick off with the exposing of a Class-S hero's darkest secret.

The manga spoiled the arc for me, but it was still fun. New bits got added . . . Tornado smashing Genos into rubble with in the manga, but not Saitama accidentally pulling off one of his arms. Man, Genos' mentor must be awesome with repairs.

I finally caught up on One-Punch Man… I just finished it, and it didn’t leave a lasting impression, frankly. If I hadn’t marathoned it, and had tried to watch it episodically, I think I’d have forgotten it was on.

I did laugh during many of the episodes, and the hero hierarchy and rules were entertaining sometimes. I also enjoyed the visuals in the finale—especially the spaceship scenes and Saitama’s time on the moon. But otherwise, my attention wandered whenever some fighter or monster started monologue-ing or bragging, which was often.

Part of the issue was that the title character looks like a grownup Charlie Brown with a towel pinned on as a cape. I just couldn't invest in Saitama because of it. I also suspect that OPM spoofs shows that I never watched (DBZ) or never liked, so I just don’t get the references.

The comic-relief male rapist was almost a deal-breaker, too. The hypocrisy of a group of “heroes” not apprehending him and returning him to prison because he was also a hero had social commentary potential, though.

May as well power through the OVAs next…

Oh. The OVAs were only 10-15 minutes each. They start out humorous but slow AF, but fortunately get more interesting as they progress. #5 even manages to pass the Bechdel Test, which is an out-of-the-blue surprise.

Heh, Genos really cannot stick to “20 words or less” and is now taking up entire OVAs.

My favorite is #3, “The Ninja Who is Too Complicated”, because Ino, the boar piglet, is insanely cute. Normally, I prefer a good anime flying squirrel, but grief good, so much cuteness! How dare Saitama consider eating him? (Her?)

The best episode is probably #4 though, with its “martial arts rock-paper-scissors” sequence.

I’m still not sold on some of the hero’s names. They're either too generic, or they make as much sense as the Wu Tang Name Generator. Oh look, there's a One-Punch Man Hero Generator. It tells me my secret ability is wiggling my ears, I assume because of "bunny".

According to the OPM Hero Name Generator, I would be; Ultimate Vagabond, the S-ranked master of fire and speaker to goldfish who has no friends.

Oddly enough, when I plug in my real name, it still says that I talk to goldfish.

I put in my name and got:

Beefy Dude
Power: Weapon Mastery
Secret Ability: Can wiggle ears
Weakness: Lazy

As for the show I really enjoyed it.  It is kind of light but the Hisoka style Fishman (complete with Hisoka's voice actor) was pretty awesome as was the entire last arc.   Really hope we get some more.

Here's what I got without my middle name:

Egg Man
Power: Super-Strength
Secret Ability: Ocelot gun spinning
Weakness: Chicken nugget obsession

I can live with Class B. And I used to like Chicken McNuggets a lot as a kid.

ETA: Where can I see the OVAs? And has there been word on a second season?

23 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Here's what I got without my middle name:

Egg Man
Power: Super-Strength
Secret Ability: Ocelot gun spinning
Weakness: Chicken nugget obsession

You are the Egg Man, goo goo gajoob. And you have an Ocelot Gun! I'm picturing a muscular, gun-toting cowboy Humpty Dumpty robbing a McDonald's. "Gimme the nuggets, or I'll ocelot ya'!"

Here's what I got for the name generator thing.

Dashing Guru
Power: Weapon Mastery
Secret Ability: Very flexible
Weakness: Soloyoloing

What the heck is Soloyoloing?

I never read the manga, but I assume the art direction is basically the same, is there a reason why they use the Charlie Brown face most of the time and then switch to the typical hero anime face at times for Saitama?

Hope Season 2 comes out soon!

I was recently on the hospital and binged this on Netflix. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to a new season. 

Oh...

Cool Knight
Power: Intelligence
Secret Ability: Ambidextrous
Weakness: Pervert

I forgot to mention: Toonami will be running the first season starting tonight at 2:30 a.m. Relive the fun of Unfortunate Chin Boy, Titan Knockoff, Piccolo Knockoff, and a bad dude who just wants to be a hero for fun.

While we're waiting on the second season (airing April in Japan), I figured this Honest Trailer could tide us over. "Pretty Pretty Offensive" is pretty much exact.

ETA: And I already linked it about fourteen months ago. Screw it, I'm keeping it. Also, I'm still reading the  manga from the library. I think I'm up to vol. 15; the one with Watchdog Man on the cover and Saitama sticking out of one of his nostrils.
Edited by Lantern7

Primer on the series heading into the second season.

As for the item on top of the list? (Manga Spoiler)

Spoiler

King is not powerful. At all. See, he accidentally took credit for taking out Vaccine Man, whom got one-shotted (natch) by Saitama. It's said that the "King's Engine" is loud enough to make villains quake. Nope . . . it's King's heartbeat anytime he's in a situation where he might be exposed. He's not a charlatan by any means, but his S-class ranking shows how dubious the system is . . . but he gets away with his secret just about every time. Also, the truth clashes with his fierce look.

Also: King and Saitama become video game buddies. King likes dating simulators. Sad, right? Never meet your heroes.

Saitama is back and still a chill as ever. He finds out King's deep dark secret - he has no super-power and became an S-rank hero through a misunderstanding he's too cowardly to come clean on (and has questionable taste in video games). Saitama's not judging, however.

The Hero Association wants to enlist villains in the effort to stave off the prophesied Armageddon but Speed of Sound Sonic only has eyes for Saitoma.

I’ve read the manga, so I know what’s going on. I reckon we had a little too much of King and Saitama. As far as ironic looks go, King’s is a winner. He looks tough as hell, a guy you’d assume was Class-S, but he’s entirely rep. At least Mr. Satan can wrestle. Nice touch that the sound of the “King Engine” is the sound of his heart pounding.

Here’s a sketch I got of King from Jim Zub in 2016. I’ve been carrying references of two other characters, one of them being “Hellish Blizzard.” I hope I can get her sketched soon. (ETA: The artist wasn’t aware of the character, so there’s no irony about the character)

King

Edited by Lantern7

I get the impression that they're easing into the new season, ramping things up as they go. Might be wrong about that.

Loved the way that Saitama disposed of the giant bird monster off-screen, like it wasn't even worth our time to see it.

*sigh* I can't seem to find the full credits that I want. There's this, but it has an annoying frame obscuring bits of it. My guess is that YouTube is cracking down on posting the credits.

Segue: I just found out JAM Project -- the supergroup that's done both opening theme songs-- will be coming to Anime NYC in a few weeks.I'll see if I can see and/or hear them. It's funny . . . back in 2017, I went to another anime con in the city, and the last thing I did there was watch a band perform . . . and they did the song from the first season.

I read the manga covered here a while back. While I can understand the frustration over the downgraded animation, I can say that I like the idea of Garou. What would be more insane in that world than a hero that aspires to be a monster? And now that Saitama has one-shotted him (without knowing who he was), it's safe to say Garou is officially a cast member.

Also, Saitama goes wig-shopping. I hope the tournament arc looks good.

ETA: Tatsumaki is going to be in a Death Battle next week. Her opponent? Mob. Should be fun!

Edited by Lantern7

Just checking to see reactions for the second season. The general vibe I got online was that it was a letdown due to the animation downgrade. Also, I feel the Monster Society's invasion arc was monotonous . . . and it's still going on in volume 18 (I think) of the manga. Garo/Garou's backstory was interesting . . . sure, it's about an outcast who decides he's a monster, and he is a human killing machine (eight class-A heroes taken down!!), but he's nowhere near as evil as actual monsters. Oh, and Saitama wrapped up Season 2 by punching a gigantic centipede. To be honest, I think it was more intense in the manga. I think it took at least eight-pages of destruction from the impact of the punch.

My main issue with season 2 was it stopped mid-story.  I would have been okay with the lower quality animation if we got an entire story arc but this didn't seem worth it.  That said, I love King and Garo is very interesting as well.  So at least I have something to look forward to if/when we get another season.

I'm leaning more towards satirical. Taika Waititi would be the ideal choice, but he's too big these days. The story shouldn't just be the audience suffering for two hours before Saitama gives his version of the money shot.

Also, given the pandemic, I'd skip Vaccine Man (aka Fake Piccolo) at the start. I'd go straight to the Attack on Titan riff.

I can’t believe S2 sat in my DVR for that long 😕 .  I do feel let down that it didn’t end with the big bad like S1  

Favorite line:  “Hey, you’re pretty strong for a guy not wearing a tank top!”