Type keyword(s) to search

Paul Abrahamian: Fear The Beard

OK guys.  I figured it out.  I figured out who Paul reminds me of, and I think it is something Paul is doing on purpose.  Paul is a Dan Bilzerian wannabe.  

From the article:

Five seconds of looped video were all it took to make Dan Bilzerian an icon.

The clip, lifted from the live TV coverage of the 2013 World Series of Poker in Las Vegas, shows a player sitting at a felt table, betting on a hand, with $7 million in the pot. Or at least that's what you think it shows the first time you watch it. But then the clip repeats, and repeats... until, finally, you notice the intensely staring, Tom Cruise-ish figure in the top-left corner of the screen. He's sitting in the spectators' gallery, bathed in blue mood-lighting, watching the game. More to the point, there's a young woman draped over him - black dress, long hair, adoring eyes - who appears to be employed for the sole task of, well... stroking his beard.

Thus the internet - and the world - was introduced to the strange and unsettling phenomenon of Dan "Blitz" Bilzerian, the 35-year-old son of an exiled Eighties corporate raider, and a kind of Bruce Wayne-meets-Hugh Hefner for the social-media age.

Before the beard-stroking video went viral, few had heard of Bilzerian outside the sweaty male sub-culture of high-stakes poker or the core group of fans who kept track of him online.

The similarities are...pathetic.  Only Paul couldn't really go for the uber macho lifestyle of his idol, he had to go for a softer version of "fashion design" and "rock star" rather than "SEAL training" and "professional gambler."  I suspect Paul's wealthy parents aren't quite as filthy rich as the Bilzerian family, thus reducing his scope.

Paul is just a huge douche-canoe trying to imitate a huge douche-canoe.

• Love 3

In case it was ever in doubt that Paul is now a "how not to play a reality show" meme, Rob Cesternino's post-Survivor podcast with Stephen Fischbach had Adam from Survivor Millennials vs Gen X as a guest, who was talking about how important friendships are in a game like this:

"You have to make actual friendships, not just say the word 'friendship' over and over."

Blink and you'll miss it, but I laughed.

• Love 9

Am I going nuts, or is that Paul in the new Heineken ad?  You know, the one where the stiff guy goes to a wild party by mistake (it turns out the "9" on the apartment door had gotten loose and was looking like the "6" he was searching for…how this drip thought that "6" came after "8" goes unexplained) and as he's pulled inside for dancing and happy Heineken-flavored fun, some other guests enter…and one of them has the same beard and same-shaped head and same stupid glint in his eyes as Yer Boy.  Only difference that the guy in the ad isn't obviously Paul-sized, but he's far from tall, and perhaps I'm just misremembering Paul as being shorter than he is.

Ugh, I don't know which would be worse:  Paul reaching beer-ad "stardom" (even as a non-speaking extra), or that Paul has a döppelgänger out there and I'm seeing him where he isn't.  Be gone, Bobble-Beard!

• Love 1