Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Chapter 14

POLL OPEN

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Frank, in his new job as the Vice-President of the United States, clears up all the connections that tie him to the death of Peter Russo, by killing Zoe by pushing her into an oncoming subway train. Doug, meanwhile, forcibly relocates Rachel. He also makes a new ally in Jacqueline "Jackie" Sharp, his choice for the House Majority Whip, being a loyal war hero. Claire deals with Gillian Cole by pulling a few strings and offering her the company. Claire consults a doctor about her wanting to get pregnant, but later decides not to do any tests.

• Love 1

About to dip in to this one, very excited! I've heard mixed things, but it's such a dead period for TV that I think Netflix is smart in releasing this during the Olympics because everybody who doesn't care is just going to watch this. 

I need some help interpreting the F.U. cufflinks -- both within the story and on a meta level.

Meta-ly, I assume this is an F.U. to those who found the direct-to-camera speeches stylistically annoying?  As in, "F.U., they're back."  Or is it just meant to be Frank Underwood's F.U. to the world?  Or the world's F.U. back to Frank Underwood?

Storywise... I've kind of forgotten the deal with the security guy who bought the cufflinks.  Is this just a nice, thankful gesture?  Or is he also subtlely saying F.U. to Mr. Frank Underwood too?

I'd say it was a genuine gesture on Meechum's part. He owes Frank a lot and knows it. While he doesn't know all of Frank's misdeeds he's seen enough to know the character of the man he works for and I'd say all involved were in on the joke. I didn't really read any viewer-creator metaness into it though.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was binge-watching over the weekend, but this episode has put a big check on my addiction. I'm going to take a break before going back.

For Zoe, I was spoiled unintentionally at IMDB, which thoughtlessly gives away her death in their episode summaries. I wasn't even looking to be spoiled with this one...but now I'm glad I was. I am no longer proud....& freely admit I prefer to be forewarned for anything this nasty coming down the tracks.

Killing off your most watchable/likeable/best acted characters isn't ALWAYS the bold innovative thing it's made out to be IMO. It can get formulaic just like everything else. Also annoying: how smooth and unobstructed Frank Underwood's path is getting to total domination.

I read a good review that noted that a positively uncontrollable pandemic of stupidity breaks out at every turn of the plot. And everyone gets uncharacteristically stupid except Francis, who comes out the winner each time. Zoe was always foolhardy, but to get this trusting without taking a single step to protect herself...come on. Hopefully we'll discover that she wasn't that clueless..and that she did keep the traces of her contact with Frank. 

Whatever happened to the concept of worthy adversaries?

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I would be SO happy if the good guys won, or made the teeniest of headways, just once in a while.

Edited by Athena
Removed spoiler tag
  • Love 3

Having had seen the Brit verzh, I was actually surprised that Zoe didn't catch her train last year. Aah, Francis, I've missed you!

Do miss Corey Stoll, tho,'

• Love 2

I figured something must happen to Zoe, but that was too much. I don't root for either of the Underwoods - I don't like them. The wife will get to the point where she seems to be a human being, only to return to this cold, calculating robot.I prefer her when she shows emotion, and regret for her actions. Zoe, as well - she was only ambitious to a point. I want the good guys to win. The one murder was bad enough - and Stamper, helping to send a fellow addict off the rails, and then be complicit in killing him? I want him to be found out, as well. 

• Love 1

I'm watching the second season on DVD. I love how evil Frank and Claire are. I also enjoyed his making the viewers complicit toward the end of the episode. "You thought I'd forgotten you..."

• Love 3

Just watched the first episode of season 2 last night.  Man, the speed of him shoving her in front of the train and then hightailing it out of there was almost unbelievable.  Or was he counting on the "everyone minds their own business" attitude of the subway station for no one to have seen him do it?

Ms. Underwood is a stone cold bitch.  I love to hate her, but am glad I don't know someone like her in real life.

I realize I am late to this party but nonetheless I've jumped on this series with gusto. Looking forward to reading all the posts here because at certain point,s 1) they are too good to not share and, 2) I get a little lost on a character or two. But, is there no discussion on Seadon 1? And what about Season 4? I thought I read there are actually 5 seasons... from Wikipedia.

• Like 1

I realize I am late to this party but nonetheless I've jumped on this series with gusto. Looking forward to reading all the posts here because at certain point,s 1) they are too good to not share and, 2) I get a little lost on a character or two. But, is there no discussion on Seadon 1? And what about Season 4? I thought I read there are actually 5 seasons... from Wikipedia.

Season 1 happened pre-PTV forums, but you can discuss it in the All Eps thread. There are only three seasons so far so I am not sure where you read there would be five. Even the original UK series had 3 seasons. For S4 speculation, go here. Hope this helps.

• Love 1