Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Best Laid Schemes...

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm reading through the script notes on Inside Outlander website. There's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it change. In the script, when Suzette tells Claire about Maison Elise, the actual script says, "The English soldier came hurtling out of a doorway, half-undressed, staggering and smashing into the walls." 

Interesting they cut "half-undressed". I'm guessing it's because they want to leave the non-book audience slightly in the dark of what happened at the brothel. Cutting it also takes away the chance that Claire could infer there was a justifiable reason for Jamie to break his promise. Even not knowing about Fergus, Claire could wonder if BJR had sexual assaulted someone at the brothel - maybe even Jamie. Amazing how one (hyphenated) word can make such a difference in the plot.

• Love 1

It also has the "dream scene" that was cut. I thought Matt Roberts described Jamie being in a car between Frank and BJR. This one is better because it is more logical but I'm still glad it wasn't there.  I don't think Jamie was ever dreaming about Frank!

On May 15, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Thalia said:

My main memory of Book!Murtagh is him following Claire around at the hospital, and then the scene at the end where he witnesses the signing of the deed.  I definitely don't remember J/C telling him the truth of her origins.  Am I right that this was a deviation from the book?   

I can't believe I am beginning to crush on Murtugh of all people.  I thought he and Jamie both looked so tall, straight and handsome in that scene where they were circling each other in the courtyard.  No wonder Suzette is always so cheerful.  

I have a hard crush on Murtagh. What's not to like?!

The only thing I have to say about this episode is that there was a moment where Jamie was wearing his kilt and he sat down. As he sat down, he hiked his kilt up a bit so when he was sitting his knees were showing. I actually said "thank you" to my computer screen when he did that. I don't know why, but those legs in that kilt...rawr!

• Love 5
On 5/14/2016 at 11:46 PM, nodorothyparker said:

Prince Charles' foppish whining that "I will take my own life if I am forced to live in god-forsaken Poland" made my half-Polish husband snort.  As in every episode, it's simply confounding that people who actually spent any time around this man would follow him to their eventual deaths.

I'm eternally grateful that for once the show managed to find some restraint and not force us to watch Black Jack hurt Fergus.  

There's a lovely song in Irish Gaelic, "Mo Ghile Mear" which is said to be about BPC.  It  means "my gallant hero."  Hard to think it's about this popinjay!  Maybe from a distance he seemed heroic.

On 5/15/2016 at 10:59 AM, chocolatetruffle said:

Oh yeah, and one more thing that kind of bothered me was when Jamie made Claire promise to go back to Frank if things went bad w/ Culloden.  I kept thinking, that's all well & good, but what about the baby?  What if it can't go through?  Is Claire supposed to leave it? J&C don't know that Claire is going to miscarry, so it seemed like it should have at least been mentioned.

On 5/15/2016 at 12:53 PM, nodorothyparker said:

now that I'm back you won't mind dropping whatever else you might have been up to these past three years to raise the child of the guy I've been sleeping with and chose over you this whole time, right?  We knew you'd be fine with it.  But hey I thought about you from time to time.  Sure, we know that Jamie is approaching it from the standpoint of this is just what an honorable man does, but Jamie's not the time traveler here.  He doesn't really know anything at all about what is considered an honorable man in Frank's time or even anything about Frank as a person beyond what bits Claire has shared.  So it's a huge leap from a very limited perspective.

They waited at least 8 or more episodes to let us know, on the show, that Claire made a choice between Jamie and Frank at the stones.  Jamie says "you chose me" too as if no other consideration were there, like not knowing when the stones would take her back to for sure.  And I suppose he's thinking you can hold your child as you go through.  The wedding rings and clothes come through.  Only later does Claire learn that a fetus comes through.  And when making this promise, neither knew if you can carry a child through.  I wonder if children time travel for free!  🙂

On 5/15/2016 at 4:52 PM, Archery said:

I don't think that Jamie is all, Of course Frank will take you back, even if that is what he himself would do (which he would).  For him, Frank and 1948 is all theoretical -- he believes Claire but he doesn't own the concrete idea of what 1948 means. (We see this also with Murtagh, who has to write out the years on paper to wrap his mind around the concept.)  So he's saying, if anything happens to me, take the baby back to Frank (meaning "the future" and the life that you know there).  And the concept of "Frank"/the future is enough to get him to promise not to kill BJR.  So, no, I don't think he is being presumptuous; he is he can't even imagine "the future" beyond the concept of Frank, which is all that he knows actually exists there.   

I wonder that he does not think Claire will be OK as his widow, probably have a home at Lallybroch and she does have friends.  In fact, she has Dougal ready to marry her.  He can't be certain the stones will take her back to her time.