Type keyword(s) to search

Ethan Chandler: Man Of Action

Character Bio:

A charming American who finds himself trapped in the darkest corners of Victorian London, Ethan's charm and brash ways are catnip to the ladies. When Sir Malcolm enlists him to help in a personal quest, Ethan meets Brona Croft, a beautiful local with a mysterious past. But behind Ethan's bright eyes lurk dark secrets. He is running from something, and his troubling past threatens to overtake him at every turn.

Penny%20Dreadful%20-%20Ethan%20Chandler.

He's got the biggest secret and the most horrifying. Victor's is pretty big of course, but the monster presents as another character, not something horrifying in seemingly human guise. But I don't think Ethan and Dorian will have much to do with each other again. Over all, I'd say it was Ethan who was ahead in the secrets department, not least because they basically brag about how they have secrets. Ethan just flies under the radar.

(edited)

I have partially solved the mystery of Ethan Chandler. Like many watching the show most have speculated that he is a Werewolf but how? What is his story? The answer is in his wiki.

"At some time in his past, he visited a desolate Anasazi village where he remarked upon the pictures the natives had painted on the rocks, citing them as his favourite painting."

For those who don't know the Anasazi also known as the Ancient Ones where an ancestral Native American tribe that vanished mysteriously and where possibly victims or practitioners of cannibalism.  They practiced a form of Witchcraft that included Skin Walking ie turning into Animals. Initiation as witch involved breaking Taboo, I.e. Bestiality, Necrophilia, Murder, Incest, Homosexuality. The Navajo and other Native tribes have a similar myth involving Skin Walkers or Wendigo. 

Ethan came from a wealthy family but was disowned by his father. I believe Ethan's homosexuality may be the reason why. 

The American military occupied Navajo territories and did horrendous things to them. I believe Ethan was possibly in the military and encountered the Skin Walkers during that time. 

I believe that Ethan is a Witch/Shaman. 

Edited by WuYi

I remember this actor from the 90's.  He seemed to get type cast as the teenage rebel with a heart of gold type of guy.  I was worried that's all I would see in this show but praise beejeesus I see him as he is suppose to be!  I am so impressed with his acting abilities so far and he is my favorite character on the show!

• Love 1

After binge watching the series in a matter of a couple days, I have to say that Ethan is probably the character that impressed me the most. I started watching the show once I saw that poster with Vanessa and was intrigued by her, so I wasn't surprised when she turned out to be one of my favorites, but to be honest, I never expected to be impressed with Josh Hartnett. I never really thought anything of him one way or the other when he was extremely popular, even though the other girls my age adored him. And I don't know if it was intentional or not, but even on the first episode of this show I wasn't too excited for his character (ladies' man, drinks too much, etc.) as he seemed generic. If the show presented him that way in the beginning to throw us off guard, then bravo to them. Cause now at the end of the season, his character is one of the bigger mysteries, and I'm excited to find out what happens to him next more than anything. And shockingly, I'm guess I'm now a Josh Hartnett fan. Definitely did not see that coming at all. 

I also expected little from Josh Hartnett.  In fact, I read many comments where people thought he was going to be the most boring and weak link of the cast.  I like that his secret was revealed more slowly.  The scenes with Vanessa and the other men around her possession were just amazing.  He just brings tears to my eyes how tender he is with Vanessa and Brona.  I shouldn't be surprised though.  He was great in 30 Days of Night, and I always tear up when he dies at the end.

I'm not crazy about his ONS with Dorian Gray.  Not because I'm homophobic or have a problem watching their love scenes.  I just think television has done a very poor job of portraying bisexuality - which I think both these guys are.  There's already comments that Ethan is closeted, etc. and I think it's an unnecessary distraction.

I really enjoyed Josh Hartnett in the role. If someone asked me whether I thought he'd be a good choice for a Victorian supernatural horror tv show I'd have laughed but I think he did amazingly as Ethan and wow, he looked so incredibly sad whenever he cried. I never felt sad for Victor when he was in tears but Ethan? Oh man, I just wanted to give him a hug. 

I really hope that the show revives Josh Hartnett's career and he gets some great parts in good movies. Or he plays Ethan Chandler forever, either way :P

I can't wait till everyone finds out that he fucked Dorian Grey.

Not many people have a high horse to ride in that race--we just watched the ballroom episode with the blood rain and realized that at one point Dorian was talking to a group of four people and he'd boned/was boning three of them! Is there anybody left in London that hasn't checked out Dorian's gallery, so to speak?

But back to Ethan. I was really surprised at how much I'm enjoying him and Vanessa's evolving relationship (halfway through season 2 so far) and how great it's been since the werewolf's been let out of the box, so to speak. And of course we have a wonderful time making wolf/dog jokes. 

Ethan: I'm going up to check out my room.

Me: And by check I mean pee in the corners.

Ethan: *comforting words to Vanessa whilst sitting on her bed*

Husband: BAD WEREWOLF! DOWN!