Type keyword(s) to search

Rory and Tristan

• Start Topic

Who thinks they would have made a good couple? I feel like if CMM had stayed a bit longer, they may have been given a chance. Personally I would have liked to see them give it a go as I think Rory could have tamed Tristan a bit and I think Tristan did genuinely like Rory. :)

Let me know what you think! All opinions are welcome! :)

20 minutes ago, Aloeonatable said:

I think that Logan was college Tristan. 

I agree, which is why I think Rory and Tristan could have worked. :)

I liked the snarky side of Rory that Tristan brought out. I crack up at her comments to him when she's buying the dance tickets in season 1. It's an interesting side to the "angel child". Not sure if they would have been a good couple though it seemed like Rory was more fond of him (or less annoyed) in the Run Away, Little Boy episode. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

I liked the snarky side of Rory that Tristan brought out. I crack up at her comments to him when she's buying the dance tickets in season 1. It's an interesting side to the "angel child". Not sure if they would have been a good couple though it seemed like Rory was more fond of him (or less annoyed) in the Run Away, Little Boy episode. 

Yeah I noticed that. She actually seemed sad that he was leaving.

Tristan was a jerk. It was how he was written. Rory gave people the benefit of the doubt (gave them a pass) because that is how she is written. I see absolutely no reason for a Tristan/Rory hook up.

• Love 3

Tristin or Tristan????  Did we ever get clarification on this?

Anyway, while yeah maybe teenaged boys aren't particularly good at or interested in reading subtle social hierarchies amongst teenaged girls, the biggest problem with Trist[i/a]n for me is how he was such a sore spot for Paris. And what was a sore spot for Paris, was a sore spot for Rory. 

Of course, I'm the classic "nice guy" (waaaah) and I hate when absolute jerks are sexxx gods. Jess gets a bit of a pass for having a hard knock life as opposed to Trist's silver spoon existence. I guess his dad was an ass to him though.

Why exactly would Trist and Rory have been good together?

I'm surprised at the popularity of this 'couple' at least when it comes to fanfiction.net. I had to do a double take when I saw how many Rory/Tristan fics there were. I don't ever really see them discussed around boards really so maybe that's why I was surprised.

I think Rory was too young to go there and much to occupied with being the perfect daughter with the perfect image. Tristan is a mix of Logan and Jess so if he had come along later then maybe.

9 hours ago, dustylil said:

I saw Tristan as a moneyed Jess.

I think I read somewhere that the character of Jess was created because Tristan was leaving the show. If I had to choose, I prefer Tristan, though that's faint praise. I did like that we got to see him being a little vulnerable. Also Paris' comment that he had an unhappy home life like she did gave a little insight into some of his actions. Tristan seemed to have a sense of humour and a little fun, I would have liked to seen more of him.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

I think I read somewhere that the character of Jess was created because Tristan was leaving the show. If I had to choose, I prefer Tristan, though that's faint praise. I did like that we got to see him being a little vulnerable. Also Paris' comment that he had an unhappy home life like she did gave a little insight into some of his actions. Tristan seemed to have a sense of humour and a little fun, I would have liked to seen more of him.

Also, he was bright as well. Even Rory knew that. I think that's why she got annoyed with him, because he was throwing all that away.

I wasn't a fan of what little we saw of Tristan (and that's saying a lot because I LOVE Chad Michael Murray). I think they never explored that relationship too much because Dean was still too new and there was too much to explore with her first relationship and also investing in a Rory-Tristan relationship would've meant sacrificing the Rory-Paris friendship as those two relationships were clearly mutually exclusive. Paris would not have ever gotten over that. And I'm guessing they thought there was more longevity with the Rory-Paris friendship.

6 minutes ago, timimouse said:

I wasn't a fan of what little we saw of Tristan (and that's saying a lot because I LOVE Chad Michael Murray). I think they never explored that relationship too much because Dean was still too new and there was too much to explore with her first relationship and also investing in a Rory-Tristan relationship would've meant sacrificing the Rory-Paris friendship as those two relationships were clearly mutually exclusive. Paris would not have ever gotten over that. And I'm guessing they thought there was more longevity with the Rory-Paris friendship.

Yeah I get what you're saying about Paris but I think maybe if they brought Tristan back in season 3 after Paris had met Jamie, she may have gotten over it.

2 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

To me, they are as different as night and day

Well, they were both bright young men, had troubled family lives, liked to stir things up - even to the point of fisticuffs - and were enchanted by Rory.

9 hours ago, dustylil said:

Well, they were both bright young men, had troubled family lives, liked to stir things up - even to the point of fisticuffs - and were enchanted by Rory.

I guess you could say the same for Logan. I found Tristan more like Logan. 

50 minutes ago, Aloeonatable said:

I guess you could say the same for Logan. I found Tristan more like Logan

We never met Logan until he was in college and in his early twenties. As a result, I have difficulty comparing him with a teenage boy like Tristan. After all, look at the difference between Rory at sixteen and at twenty-two.

• Love 1

Logan did commiserate with Chris about their prep school days, so we did learn a little what he was like as a teen. Both Logan and Tristan were from the upper class, bright, disappointments to their fathers, in and out of trouble and "enchanted by Rory."

I can see the Jess/Tristan comparison, especially when they were overlapping as a foil to Dean in early season 2 (CMM's farewell episode is actually kind of jarring because it's sandwiched between some Jess heavy episodes, and jeez, is everyone in love with Rory?) but I always saw him more as teenaged Logan. The more I think about it though, the comparison doesn't really stick beyond them being rich and entitled. To me, Tristan was less complicated. CMM owns being an a-hole, and even when he's being sensitive, you don't quite trust him. He's a Chuck Bass wannabe, and that can be fun in small doses. With Logan, he didn't seem very self aware. It never seemed like he was genuinely out to hurt anybody's feelings, and when he did, he would try to make up for it by throwing his money around.

I actually shipped Tristan/Rory but never liked Logan/Rory, and I think that had to do with the dynamics, and who Rory was around them. With Tristan, Rory saw through his bullshit and had no time for it. She would have been good for someone like him, but I'm not sure that he would be great for her, which is why I wouldn't see them lasting for more than a fling. With Logan, Rory let his charm bulldoze right over her. I really disliked Rory when she was in his orbit, in part because she didn't seem to feel good enough for him, which, I guess, the same could be said about Dean and Jess when they were with her.

I did have this head canon before the revival came out that Rory was an overseas correspondent covering the war where an enlisted Tristan was stationed. It's too bad that military school didn't seem to have an impact on him. Why was Tristan even at an alumni event though?

• Love 6