Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: The Negotiation

• Start Topic

Jacob is great and Frankie babbling everything that happened since they last saw each other cracked me up.  As did Frankie telling Brianna that the Vitamix fell off a truck.

I really enjoyed Frankie standing her ground with Brianna and the assistant taking the minutes had me rolling with his reactions.  

• Love 10

I'm having issues with how much time has passed from season 1 to season 2. I thought it was a year?!  Madison would be alot younger. She was born sometime in early season 1. So at best she would be 2 ?!? 

I hated Grandma Jean. She was very high and mighty to Grace.  Sure she maybe the more maternal grandmother but she didn't have to shut Grace out. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

I'm having issues with how much time has passed from season 1 to season 2. I thought it was a year?!  Madison would be alot younger. She was born sometime in early season 1. So at best she would be 2 ?!? 

I hated Grandma Jean. She was very high and mighty to Grace.  Sure she maybe the more maternal grandmother but she didn't have to shut Grace out. 

Madison was five in Season 1.  Her birth was part of the flashbacks Grace, Frankie, Sol, Robert and Bud had while they were trapped in the elevator.  They were remembering a Labor Day gathering which took place five years prior.

• Love 4
(edited)

I may have misheard, but did Brianna refer to Mallory now having two sets of twins (she's pregnant with twins again, or something like that) in the first episode? The kids seemed to be at least close to the same age in this episode, but I didn't think Mallory had twins last season. It's entirely possible I misunderstood what Brianna was getting at in the first episode but based on Brianna's comment I was assuming Mallory had twins already and there was nothing in this episode to make me question that.

Although, Mallory specifically mentioned Madison's christening in her conversation with Grace, so I must have misunderstood Brianna's comment and there's at least a bit of an age gap between the two kids. I guess it doesn't matter: Mallory has two young kids and she's going to have a couple of more and Grace is a very different kind of grandma than the other grandma - the kind that brings vodka (or gin) to a tea party and differentiates between a stomach and a womb, which is not a bad grandma, in the end.

Edited to add: What the hell was with Frankie's insistence that she needed NINE MILLION DOLLARS!!!!! What the hell was that all about? How am I supposed to take her seriously as a business woman when she marches into the office demanding NINE MILLION DOLLARS? It was kind of funny the first time but it wore thin.

Edited by Maysie
  • Love 2

I loved that Grace didn't let her grandson win at cards. My dad didn't do that either - he was a RUTHLESS Monopoly player.

I also liked the young people sitting around while Frankie was thinking, typing dirty words on their calculators. When the assistant said "hillbillies" I was like "Wait, slow down!" Also, Brianna's "good luck peddling lube as a mother-son team" made me laugh.

I was confused about Frankie's nine million dollars. Does she actually need nine million dollars - like, does she owe that? (In which case, shouldn't a bigger deal be made of her shitty finances?) Or was that just an arbitrary figure she landed on?

• Love 3

I hated the way Frankie was treated/dismissed in this episode. It bothers me still that they treat the moms like they're old ladies. And by old ladies I mean senile. It's really frustrating and I'm sure it will be firmly addressed in season 3. I like the growth we see in Grace. Turns out she's not a cold hearted bitch, she just didn't know HOW to express love since it was never expressed to HER. Once she opens up she's pretty sweet.

• Love 6

I love Conchata Ferrell, but Grandma Jean shouldn't be pulling the children into whatever damage she has with Grace (although I suspect based on the social xrays Grace and Robert had in their lives that she probably wasn't made to feel all that welcome herself). 

I loved Frankie telling Grace to be the anal-retentive aspirational cute little fairy tale woodland creature. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/7/2016 at 2:07 PM, Maysie said:

I may have misheard, but did Brianna refer to Mallory now having two sets of twins (she's pregnant with twins again, or something like that) in the first episode? The kids seemed to be at least close to the same age in this episode, but I didn't think Mallory had twins last season. It's entirely possible I misunderstood what Brianna was getting at in the first episode but based on Brianna's comment I was assuming Mallory had twins already and there was nothing in this episode to make me question that.

Brianna said Mallory already had two kids, and twins would then make it four. She didn't imply the existing kids were twins, only that there were two of them.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, the guys were both, "Yay and congratulations" and Brianna was, "Are you crazy, you're going to have four kids!"  Good stuff.

The kids will do well to have both kinds of grandmas in their life, because it's great to have someone who'll play car wash and remember your fears and favorites, but it's also great to have someone who says babies don't reside in the stomach and teaches you to pay attention to what your opponent discards if you want to win at gin.

I liked the business meeting all around, but Brianna telling Bud, "Have fun with your weird mother-son vaginal lube sales team" was definitely my favorite part.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

I think I'm done with this show.  I couldn't even make it through this episode.  It'd be nice to have more shows with a mature perspective but this one is just not very funny to me or well done.  

17 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think I'm done with this show.  I couldn't even make it through this episode.  It'd be nice to have more shows with a mature perspective but this one is just not very funny to me or well done.  

Seriously?!  Wow.  I've watched every episode so many times that I can even recite some of the dialog as they're saying it.  I wish it came on every day like the daytime soap operas.  

• Love 3

Sorry, I rarely click with sitcoms.  They've got to feel pretty fresh and fast paced for me to like them.  This one feels 80s/90s to me, which makes sense since that was Kaufmann's heyday.  I mean, the broad subject matter of gay retirees is very contemporary but the pacing, acting, writing, etc. just isn't my thing.  I do like the kids minus Decker and I like Tomlin and that stunning beach house.  But I heard 'yam lube' enough for a lifetime, only halfway through this ep.  It was cute the first couple times.