Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Mars Bars/I Smell Bread

Lisin
  • Start Topic

From IMDB: "Veronica is let out of jail, while Mac, Parker, Logan, and Bronson go on Valentine's Day Savenger Hunt. Josh decides to flee the country after learning the truth about his dad and Lamb goes after Steve at Mindy's house."

The scene with Veronica doing cell pushups with her braided hair and her tattoo is amazing. It's really clear how much these actors like each other in these scenes for me. Really all the scenes of Veronica behind bars are great. Logan taking her picture is hilarious, and the doing a favor for Mac from jail is great. Even if it leads to a scavenger hunt which on the surface I like, because it's cute and harmless and nice for everyone to be friends and having fun with each other, but on the other hand I'm not a fan because Parker likes Logan and no. I'm already mad at her about it. I need to get over it though because so much more happens here that is important.

Man, this show's body count just keeps going up. RIP Lamb, you sucked it badly but I'm sad your last words were "I smell bread." 

I also like the resolution of the coach story. I like that he did what he did to spare his family the pain of watching him die slowly and I like that the son's going to go be on the run so the family can have the insurance money. I'm not exactly sure that was dad's plan, but I like the resolution. 

Keith putting back on the uniform and informing Mindy that his name is Sheriff Mars thankyouverymuch is great. 

• Love 2

You beautifully recapped all the things about this show and this episode that make it great, so I don't have much to add. 

But I will say that I remember people FREAKING OUT when Lamb's last words were "I smell bread."  It was a bad way to go, for sure.  

• Love 1

Aww thanks! I have really enjoyed this rewatch and am just waiting to post the next few episodes because I have very little to say about a lot of them beyond NOOOO! I don't want it to end!!!

• Love 1

Poor Lamb. You died as you lived: trying to do more or less the right thing but being like 40% competent, 60% moron at it.

Liked the scavenger hunt, and even Parker/Logan isn't so bad: they both need something to do, and rebounding to Parker is way better than rebounding to Madison. I had completely forgotten about this Bronson boy, though. This show takes a long time cycling through stories about the supporting characters.

Coach story ended well, though it sucks for their family that, like, little brother is probably gonna eventually think that older brother did it. Also: yay insurance fraud!

• Love 2

I didn't mind Logan/Parker -- to me they always seemed like the perfect rebound situation -- like they both healed and had fun, then moved on with no bad feelings or regrets on either side.

To this day, for me Lamb's death packed a pretty big whallop -- one that stayed with me. I thought Michael Muhney was pretty great in the role, and that he brought the character occasional nuance that made him more than a cartoon character.

And I was so shocked at the time that I actually blogged about Lamb's loss years ago (and my tiny blog was nonexistent and I basically blogged, like, every 6 months, at the time) -- I thought it would be fun to mention as a totally lame historical artifact or something.

(The fun part is that Michael Muhney stopped by and was really appreciative of the post, which was a nice little extra.)

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 3

I was really shocked that Lamb died, totally wasn't expecting that.  Laid up for a while, sure, but not dead.

So there were a bunch of scavenger hunts each having a different ending place?  Since obviously two other teams finished ahead of them, but the heart balloon was still in the ocean.  Pretty cool idea.

I was really shocked that Lamb died, totally wasn't expecting that.

marathoning and reading along :)

I knew Lamb was dead when they were leaving and Keith asked whether he needed him to go with, cause the guy is unstable or smth. And Lamb being all macho main guy brushed it off, saying that he'd call him if he needed a backup.

I saw that as major telegraphing.

• Love 1

And I was so shocked at the time that I actually blogged about Lamb's loss years ago (and my tiny blog was nonexistent and I basically blogged, like, every 6 months, at the time) -- I thought it would be fun to mention as a totally lame historical artifact or something.

That blog piece is terrific! Really well done.

BIG plot hole in the coach story? The guy who was filming him (assistant coach) knows it was a suicide, as will the coach's wife if Josh tells her, making them both accomplices to insurance fraud. And Josh can only safely come back to town and escape charges if he comes clean with the DVD, which means he then exposes his family's having benefited from the fraud. For that matter, Keith and Veronica are both accomplices as well. This is not a happy ending!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Until Parker went for a swim, I had been willing to pretend that her wig had just improved a lot after the first couple of attempts. But there is no way her hair could have grown out from buzzed off in September to that length by Valentine's Day. They should have cast an actress with cute short hair and used the wig for before the rape if they weren't going to commit to the head-shaving properly and keep the wig going. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
On 6/2/2018 at 9:39 AM, rejnel said:

That blog piece is terrific! Really well done.

BIG plot hole in the coach story? The guy who was filming him (assistant coach) knows it was a suicide, as will the coach's wife if Josh tells her, making them both accomplices to insurance fraud. And Josh can only safely come back to town and escape charges if he comes clean with the DVD, which means he then exposes his family's having benefited from the fraud. For that matter, Keith and Veronica are both accomplices as well. This is not a happy ending!

This! Typically, fraud statutes run from discovery of the facts that would lead the victim to know fraud occurred. They mentioned a statute of limitations, but it might be worthwhile to look at that a bit more closely before Josh comes strolling back into town.