Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E20: Live Top 11 Eliminations

• Start Topic

I struggled with the right word choice to describe the Voice results show last night.  Was it more painful or more disheartening?  Finally I decided to go with painfully disheartening.

The song T-shirt is a great example of the overly repetitive crap too much of country (and other genres, to be fair) is churning out.  If you can't be bothered to write at least two full verses, singing the chorus over and over doesn't actually hide that fact.  The band was too loud (as usual, or maybe it's my tv) but that may have been a plus on the group numbers.  My first thought when watching "Live and Let Die" was Olympic Games Opening Ceremonies.  I think that means they were trying too hard.

Pharrell is still pimping the Cactus Plant Flea Market streetwear brand with his hats.

And to top it off, I get Love Boat Daniel for another week at least.  One positive: I'm pretty sure we won't have to hear "Jealous" again until next season.  Got that over with.

Random snark tossed out from the Simply Household during The Voice this week:

SimplyMom: "If they save Nick again, I'm going to barf."     Carson: "Nick!"      SimplyMe: "Don't barf!  Don't barf!!  Let me get the trash can first!"

Shalyah: "If God is in your life, you can do anything."      SimplyMe: "God does my homework for me."     SimplyMom: "I don't have to go to school cuz he gets all the answers right!"

• Love 5

Okay, PTB here on previously, I FLOVE this site and everyone's diverse opinions, but I do not like these new forums. Maybe I'll get used to them, but I just tried to look back at Monday's nights performances topic and couldn't find the actual posts. So.

On to the show: admittedly, I have not yet watched the results show because I work ten hour days and didn't get home until crack of dawn.

But, Daniel and NIck: just. do. not. get. it. I've tried. I get Daniel more than Nick. Nick's all kinds of adorable little boy can only carry him so far, right? RIGHT?!? Sigh. Daniel smiles at inappropriate times, but I've also said that about Mary Sarah. Speaking of, I'm tired of Blake's country artists getting through just because they're country. Mary Sarah was better Monday night, but has yet to blow me away since her audition. Adam = talented, but again, meh. And I'm still pissed off at his hair.

I'm team Laith 100%. It would be so awesome if someone who actually deserved it, won it. Not that it will actually do anything FOR him, but still. Having said that, I'm okay if Alisan wins. As long as it's not one of Blake's country artists. Honestly, people, I'm a FAN of country and I don't understand voting for someone who is only okay JUST because they're on Blake's team or because they call themselves a country singer. Use your ears!

Sorry about Owen leaving, especially before Nick, but he really seemed uncomfortable on the show, so I hope it got him some exposure he can exploit.

• Love 2

Every other team sing along is relatively straight forward (well Team Adam did one in the round I guess)....and cue Team Xtina getting backed up by some crazy OTT Cirque du Soleil stage show last night. I think we can comfortably add that to the overwhelming list of things that let you know this show is blatantly begging for a female coach to finally get a win.

Pharrell cannot sing live in this situations. It's just not in the cards.

I'd really love to see the exit polls for those voting for Nick...

Poor Owen, you could just tell he was internally reading himself the riot act after forgetting the same lyrics twice in Burning House. On merit that gave Daniel the win.....but man I still go back to that awful decision to bring back the Coach's comebacks. Really think that was when this season completely went off the rails.

A little off topic, but is anyone else kind of sad at the beige-ness of these new forums? My eyes are screaming out for some sort of color differentiation or contrast...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, simplyme said:

I struggled with the right word choice to describe the Voice results show last night.  Was it more painful or more disheartening?  Finally I decided to go with painfully disheartening.

Yup, that's a good way to put it. Owen out before Daniel and Nick, the two Kings of Cheese. Daniel almost made it to the end of a fairly decent version of "Time after Time," but couldn't resist getting smarmy at the end. It's in his blood. And if this show was really about "the voice," they wouldn't be giving Nick an unfair advantage by pimping his cute kid. That's probably all that's been keeping him out of the bottom two.

"The Climb" is at the top of my list of songs I never want to hear covered again. There's no doubt that Shalyah's talented, but she leaves me cold. Now that the God cat is out of the bag, I expect we will get more gospel and religious songs from her.

Wow, win or lose, what's happened to Laith is every journeyman musician's dream, with his old recordings getting lots of activity on ITunes.

At this point my favorite is probably Hannah. There is something really sincere about her. Alisan is just too show-biz for me, in addition to the screeching. (And please Pharrell, shut up about Nebraska already).

Of the people who have a shot at wining, I would be okay with Adam. I think he's a talented musician, and seems genuinely humble and like a good dude.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7

On technique or performance, it's difficult for me to argue for Owen over Daniel.  Owen forgot words and hit a bad note and he knew it.  Daniel has a clear, trained voice.  That said, Owen actually feels every song he sings, and I feel like I can hear that in his voice.  For once in my life I actually get what Adam is going on about and agree with him. (Yes, I'll see a therapist soon.)  I've loved Owen's voice even with all his flaws from the beginning with the exception of that god awful 7 Years song.  Ah, well.  I'll just have to try to follow him online.  I just can't figure out how Dad Jeans Josh went so far (darned if I remember his last name) when everything he sang sounded like an inferior cover to me (omg, Fields of Gold gave me an eye tic) but Owen goes home so early.  Owen: Get a hot wife and cute kid, maybe?

Peppermonkey, totally agree with your entire post.  The new forums are driving me nuts, but I'm sure we'll adapt.  You guys are worth it.  I need to whine to someone about Nick!  SimplyMom is too nauseated by him to risk the topic anymore.

I made the mistake of saying, "Live and Let Die?  I love this song!" before the, um, performance.  That'll learn me.

• Love 3

I figured out that I can make it through a Hannah performance if I imagine a sock puppet on her right hand.  

Who in the hell is voting for Nick?

X-Tina and her back up singers were God. Awful.

The longer Alison is with Christina the less I like her.  Bring back that girl from the blinds!  

Hannah's about my favorite female with Laith my favorite male.  I do love Owen, but he didn't deliver so that's what happens - buh-bye.

• Love 2

Sorry, shalyah. God is not going to solve your problems or anyone else's. Maybe instead of that ridiculous, contrived and also untrue answer, you could have thanked your tutors, family, and others who help you through it. God? Please grow up kid. 

• Love 1

Well, her answer was "true" for her. (And I say this as an atheist myself). As for growing up, when people hold these beliefs, age doesn't seem to change them. Look at all the football coaches and players (including the pros) who literally thank God when they win a game, as if the Almighty is rewarding them for their moral superiority over their opponents. (Or something like that. Not sure what criteria God is supposed to be using when he takes time out from his busy schedule to pick the winner of a sports event).

And didn't God decide that Jordan Smith should win The Voice? Pharrell, for one, seems convinced that he's a regular Voice viewer.

Edited by bluepiano

I don't mind Shalyah believing in God or singing gospel songs.  I did think that was a cutesy, pandering answer.  If she had said God helped give her the strength and clarity to prioritize or even just to get through, or He made sure to put people in her life to help her with everything on her plate, or something that made sense I would have bought it.  But her answer was essentially, "Yay, God!"  Hence the snarkiness in the Simply household, as we don't really think God is giving her extra hours per day or anything.  Then again, she is 16 and was thinking on her feet, so I may be being overly critical of her answer.  

It's not like I thought any of those questions and answers were worth the time it took to show them.

1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

And didn't God decide that Jordan Smith should win The Voice? Pharrell, for one, seems convinced that he's a regular Voice viewer.

Maybe it's God voting for Nick?

Edited by simplyme
Forgot to quote bluepiano
22 hours ago, simplyme said:

I don't mind Shalyah believing in God or singing gospel songs.  I did think that was a cutesy, pandering answer.  If she had said God helped give her the strength and clarity to prioritize or even just to get through, or He made sure to put people in her life to help her with everything on her plate, or something that made sense I would have bought it.  But her answer was essentially, "Yay, God!"  Hence the snarkiness in the Simply household, as we don't really think God is giving her extra hours per day or anything.  Then again, she is 16 and was thinking on her feet, so I may be being overly critical of her answer.  

It's not like I thought any of those questions and answers were worth the time it took to show them.

Maybe it's God voting for Nick?

*snort*

More like the Devil.

• Love 1