Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E17: I Went To The Woods

In the aftermath of his brother’s fateful decision, Stefan awakens to find himself thrown into a life or death situation with only his basic instincts to rely on. With time working against him, he sets off on a journey of survival while forced to confront a lifetime of irreversible damage Damon has done to their relationship. Meanwhile, desperate to save his brother, Damon follows an unusual lead he has come across, while Matt sends Valerie to Dallas to enlist Alaric’s help in the search for Stefan. Finally, when Rayna discovers the emergence of a new threat, she sets off on her own mission to find Stefan before the others do.

I seriously can't with all of the stupid retconning this season. Now Rayna is trying to tell us that she only stabbed the worst of the worst, the most evil vampires of the last 200 years. The previous version was that she would stab any vampire that crossed her path as well as hunt down anyone had managed to stab but somehow wasn't in the phoenix stone.

Did Valerie's spell somehow connect her to Rayna's visions? If not, this is the first I've heard of a locator spell suddenly giving the witch visions of where he was. When she said he was at a fraternity house in Memphis, I was like well, that's REALLY specific.

I guess the Stefan in Marty's body/serial killer in Stefan's body storyline is here to make Paul Wesley happy by giving him something to do besides brood without turning him back into Ripper Stefan again.

I know I was supposed to be rooting for Stefan in Marty's body, but when that girl on the side of the road fought him off and was able to drive away, I was proud of her for getting away.

I was totally cracking up when Damon compelled the Arkansas police officer by telling him that he was Matt Donovan, the bravest and least stupid police officer ever. Hee!

The best thing about Mary Louise and Nora releasing all of the vampires in the phoenix stone is that I can hold out hope that we'll get to see Oscar again. And hey, maybe Beau will get put into a non-mute body and he will be able to speak and sing again!

• Love 3

ElectricBoogaloo get out of my head! 

I had so many of the same thoughts while watching this yesterday. 

They have done such a poor job with Rayna and the huntress mythology. If her true purpose were to trap the most dangerous vampires why didn't she ever put a single Original in that stone? Or Kathrine or any  number of other evil and powerful vampires. She never even put any of the heretics in there just Julian. And the vamp in Jo's body seemed pretty decent.

And yeah I did a double take when Valerie said that as well. We've had how many witches on this show and OT. I haven't heard of a single one of them being able to get that specific. I also found it silly that a locator spell could work on Rayna. 

I thought about Beau and Oscar returning for a second but then I reminded myself that they are minorities so their chances of coming back on this show are about 0. 

I am so over the back and forth with Stefan and Damon this season. I like when the show uses their brotherly dynamic but I prefer when it isn't all angst ridden an plagued by the same things it was in season 1. Stefan's speech about why Damon never takes action and acts heroic was so dumb. He has known him how long? Damon just isn't that type. He'll act if it's someone he cares about otherwise he won't. So what? Not every person is going to be a rush into a burning bus type of hero. 

I am going to need Bonnie and Caroline back next episode. 

• Love 6

Damon and Stefan have never been better than when they are kinda getting along, working together on a plan but still annoying the crap out of each other.

I agree that this melodramatic angst is bringing this season down in a way that feels forced and flies in the face of everything we have witnessed over the last 6 seasons. The running commentary from characters like Valerie, who has known the brothers, or at least Damon for precisely 5 minutes is beyond grating.

I have my fingers crossed for the appearance of Oscar, he was a cool dude.

I wasn't a fan of the over lengthy scenes of "Marty" in the cabin house thing, or the dialogue that he was spouting. Talk about heavy handed, however I did like the reverse body-jacking story with the serial killer in Stefans meat suit. He was more entertaining, and I like the irony of that more than the meta like version of Stefan stuck in a human body with addiction issues.

Rayna continues to confuse and disappoint. For me she has been an epic fail, and so has her corresponding mythology. The writers can't even keep the fact that she is immune to magic consistent, never mind her motivations. It's a shame, because the glimpses we saw of her earlier in the season via the flash forwards were promising, and I was excited to get to that part of the story until they ruined it with her Stefan obsession. We get it show, all the women in Mystic Falls want be Stefan's girl.

The Damon impersonating a cop was fun, especially hilarious when he named himself Matt Donovan. Never change Damon. 

• Love 2

Loved the episode...This was from me the best episode of the season...Paul Wesley is an amazing actor and this was an opportunity for him to shine...I loved Stefan as Marty scenes..Also loved the Defan scenes..They really were heartbreaking...Loved to watch a Stefan centric episode after such a long time..I am personally not looking forward to the Armory track and saving Bonnie track...Excited for next episode...This episode belonged to Stefan and Defan

• Love 3

Meh.

I'm really, really bored of the "it's not Stefan" storylines. It's always the same snarky, murderous jerk just with a different name. Ripper Stefan, Silas, amnesia Stefan, now serial killer guy. Boring. If Paul Wesley is so unhappy with being Stefan, I don't know why he signed on for S8? I love the guy but I'm over Stefan being someone else.

I'm also over everything in the universe that isn't unicorns and rainbows being Damon's fault. I get it already, Damon's the baddest person to ever be bad! He's the burden his poor, saintly brother and everyone else who knows him must bear. Oh Damon, you selfish jerk, you can't do anything right! Ugh.

Rayna continues to be on an even par with the heretics as most disappointing villain yet. Now that she's given the exposition about the vamps being loose from the stone, can she go away? She's just awful.

They're probably setting up serial killer Stefan as next season's big bad. Won't that be just so entertaining?

It was nice to see Alaric again, I missed him. I miss Caroline and Bonnie too, hope we see them soon.

I'll watch this show until the end but I hope it gets better soon! I had high hopes with Elena out of the picture but so far, not so great.

Sorry for the ranting downer post. This show made me frustrated tonight!

• Love 4
(edited)

If Paul Wesley is so unhappy with being Stefan, I don't know why he signed on for S8?

The paycheck? I mean, seriously, I understand getting tired of playing the same character for almost a decade but that's when it's time to leave the show. Instead it feels like the writers just keep coming up with ways for him to play Not Stefan to keep him around.

Couver, one of my many issues with the contradictory Rayna mythology is that every time we get new vamps on the show, they're described as the most notorious/dangerous/evil vampires EVER yet in the past 200 years, the only one we know Rayna has stabbed is Julian. And despite Stefan's previous ripper status, she only accidentally stabbed him instead of Damon this season because he was at the hospital while she was tracking someone else (Beau? I can't be bothered to remember the details of this convoluted plot anymore).

I wasn't a fan of Stefan's cabin monologues either. Ugh.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
(edited)

In a season where he is living without his soulmate and love of his life that has given him his only moments of true happiness his entire life, I'm truly gobsmacked at the audacity of this story.

If Damon were truly selfish, he would have left Bonnie for dead. Kai legit killed her for all intents and purpose and Damon chose to save her life when he could have let her die legitimately with zero blame attached to him, but he didn't.  Bonnie was standing between his life with Elena and a lifetime without her and he chose to save Bonnie. The whys and wherefores will be debated forever, but there is one thing for certain, this decision did not benefit Damon but he did it anyway.The show gives zero credit for that, the same way it gives Damon zeo credit for recklessly risking his life in saving Stefan in S5.

The show shows us one story whilst narrating another, it baffles me. 

Edited by miss-vanilla
  • Love 7

I like the complicated Damon/Stefan relationship, and I wanted it to get more development in the earlier seasons instead of always getting pushed to the side for the Damon/Stefan/Elena stuff, but I'm getting whiplash with all the flip flopping the writers keep doing.

In Season One, according to Stefan, Damon and Stefan were brothers and best friends before Katherine came along.  In the first flashback, Damon is very much the worldly older brother and Damon/Stefan do get along.

Then it supposedly wasn't Katherine that came between them, but the fact that Stefan made Damon become a vampire.  Except according to Damon that wasn't it at all.  Damon thought he was the only one Katherine was going to turn.  However, then it went back to Damon being angry Stefan made him become a vampire, even though Damon likes being a vampire, except for a couple of times when he didn't.  Then it turns out Stefan felt Damon abandoned him when Damon left Stefan with Lexie, and then there were all those times Damon showed back up in Stefan's life, and according to Stefan ruined everything and he didn't want Damon around, except that when Damon leaves Stefan feels abandoned.

Could the writers pick a road and drive it already?

Then there is Stefan's love life.  Stefan loved Katherine, no Katherine compelled him, it wasn't real.  Stefan wasn't in love until he met Elena.  Then it turns out Stefan was in love with Rebekah, but Klaus compelled Stefano to forget about them.  Elena eventually got together with Damon, and Stefan moved on.  Now according to Valeria (who it turns out Stefan knew before he ever met Katherine), Stefan and Caroline have some great love that she and Alaric cannot compete with.  {face palm}

Stefan's body is inhabited by yet another serial killer vampire.  How original.  Except not.

At least PW and IS are fun to watch.

• Love 3

Loved the episode...This was from me the best episode of the season...Paul Wesley is an amazing actor and this was an opportunity for him to shine...I loved Stefan as Marty scenes..Also loved the Defan scenes..They really were heartbreaking...Loved to watch a Stefan centric episode after such a long time..I am personally not looking forward to the Armory track and saving Bonnie track...Excited for next episode...This episode belonged to Stefan and Defan

I usually stay out of this forum because it's a downer.  But this post made me happy.  In complete agreement with this.  I don't see melodrama.  I see two brothers finally getting honest with each other.  The scenes of them on the phone were two actors who still love the characters they play.  I was riveted.  When Stefan said "I don't believe you'll be there." and it cut to commercial my heart broke.

This show is scores better without Elena and with Stefan and Damon being the central relationship.  Great episode.  It brought me back to the days of this show when I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

• Love 4

It was definitely nice having an episode that didn't involve the stupid Armory and had barely anything related to the heretics (even though Valerie was present, her role was limited to finding Stefan, not bringing up all the boring heretic plots).

I like the complicated Damon/Stefan relationship, and I wanted it to get more development in the earlier seasons instead of always getting pushed to the side for the Damon/Stefan/Elena stuff, but I'm getting whiplash with all the flip flopping the writers keep doing.

I usually stay out of this forum because it's a downer.  But this post made me happy.  In complete agreement with this.  I don't see melodrama.  I see two brothers finally getting honest with each other.  The scenes of them on the phone were two actors who still love the characters they play.  I was riveted.  When Stefan said "I don't believe you'll be there." and it cut to commercial my heart broke.

This show is scores better without Elena and with Stefan and Damon being the central relationship.  Great episode.  It brought me back to the days of this show when I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

It's kind of weird, but I agree with both sentiments. I don't really miss Elena at all and think the show is better finally focusing on the brother's relationship. But I do think there's a lot of inconsistency that can get a little frustrating.

Now according to Valeria (who it turns out Stefan knew before he ever met Katherine), Stefan and Caroline have some great love that she and Alaric cannot compete with.  {face palm}

I thought that whole conversation was stupid because before Stefan and Caroline got together he admitted that while he loved her, it wasn't an epic love and that was okay. But Valerie made it seem like Caroline was some epic, star-crossed lovers thing which just doesn't track for me at all.

The paycheck? I mean, seriously, I understand getting tired of playing the same character for almost a decade but that's when it's time to leave the show. Instead it feels like the writers just keep coming up with ways for him to play Not Stefan to keep him around.

It's not like PW put a gun to these people's heads and makes them write this stuff. Yes, the someone else in Stefan's body stuff is repetitive, but really what on this show isn't repetitive as all hell at this time? At least, IMO, this is a fun kind of repetitive. One of my all-time favorite moments on this show was Silas, giving this long, snarky monologue to two random people he found at a bus stop. PW excels at that kind of stuff (though I think he's great as regular, snarky Stefan too) so I can't fault the writers for coming up with excuses to write it. Same way I didn't fault Angel for finding ways to bring Angelus out because Boreanaz was great at it. 

• Love 1

I think the directing opportunity is what keeps Paul Wesley around more than anything. It would be a lot harder for him to get directing jobs on his own.

With Valerie being the only heretic left, I'm guessing that storyline is fairly dead. With, what, five episodes left? I really wonder what's in store for the rest of the season, unless this Stefan-body-swap storyline is supposed to sustain us through the rest of the season, which-- no. Basically, I'm saying that there seems to no longer be any ongoing plot right now with the heretic/Rayna stuff mostly wrapped up and that we just seem to be biding time.

I'm disappointed they didn't do more with Damon and Stefan's relationship, and with their relationships with the other characters.  Instead they brought on a bunch of new annoying useless characters that I'm glad are dead.  Except Oscar, he was fun.

I would much rather have watched Damon's friendships with Bonnie and Alaric.  Damon could have gone overboard in the other direction of trying to make sure Bonnie had a great human life.  I also disagree with the premise that everything Damon does is only about Elena.  Damon had friendships with Liz, Carole, Alaric, and Rose that had nothing to do with Elena.

I hope the remaining episodes of the season focus on the main characters.

Alaric snarking at Matt that they had gone three years without a supernatural disaster was funny.

• Love 3

Meh.

I'm really, really bored of the "it's not Stefan" storylines. It's always the same snarky, murderous jerk just with a different name. Ripper Stefan, Silas, amnesia Stefan, now serial killer guy. Boring. If Paul Wesley is so unhappy with being Stefan, I don't know why he signed on for S8? I love the guy but I'm over Stefan being someone else.

I'm also over everything in the universe that isn't unicorns and rainbows being Damon's fault. I get it already, Damon's the baddest person to ever be bad! He's the burden his poor, saintly brother and everyone else who knows him must bear. Oh Damon, you selfish jerk, you can't do anything right! Ugh.

Totally agree, the only person who has had more "it's not" storylines is Elena (& they've got Rayna for that now). And I'm over the blaming Damon for all the world's woes too. It seems like we're seeing the same plot over & over, they need to move on & try something new.

I usually stay out of this forum because it's a downer.  But this post made me happy.  In complete agreement with this.  I don't see melodrama.  I see two brothers finally getting honest with each other.  The scenes of them on the phone were two actors who still love the characters they play.  I was riveted.  When Stefan said "I don't believe you'll be there." and it cut to commercial my heart broke.

This show is scores better without Elena and with Stefan and Damon being the central relationship.  Great episode.  It brought me back to the days of this show when I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

Yes exactly, That Defan phone convo was so heartbreaking and beautiful, It was perfect! I agree the show is better off without Elena and Defan being the central relation is the best thing for the show right now...Also I loved Stefan's experience as a human, it was something which hadn't been done before..I loved his struggle for survival..all those scenes of Stefan as Marty were gold and Paul nailed.. I am glad that I will get to watch Paul play a Psycho serial killer..It would be fun to watch...Some might say it is repetitive but isn't a lot of story lines repetitive in this show like the repetitive 'saving Bonnie storyline' or the Enzo storyline or Damon screwing up for the millionth time and then him trying to make amends...So instead of cribbing one must give due credit to Julie for the beautiful direction, to the writer for writing such beautiful scenes and for the actors who performed them brilliantly...Kudos to Paul for being so wonderful in this episode..He nailed it..This episode belonged to Stefan/Paul and Defan :)

• Love 3

So what's going to happen to Alaric's adorable twin toddler daughters? I'm guessing Caroline isn't in love with him at all even though that's not how it is for him..so is Caroline just going to abandon them and run off with Stefan by the end of the season? Compel them to forget her (can they even be compelled since I think they're witches?)

Damn, I hope Plec and Dries don't kill them off by the end as an attempt at shock value.

(edited)

So what's going to happen to Alaric's adorable twin toddler daughters? I'm guessing Caroline isn't in love with him at all even though that's not how it is for him..so is Caroline just going to abandon them and run off with Stefan by the end of the season? Compel them to forget her (can they even be compelled since I think they're witches?)

Damn, I hope Plec and Dries don't kill them off by the end as an attempt at shock value.

If the writers kill off Alaric and Caroline's twins, I will be beyond angry.  Caroline should not want Stefan.  Stefan will always chose Damon.

Katherine Pierce, for someone who was pretty crafty and smart when it came to surviving and saving her own ass, missed the boat on Damon.  She should have taken Damon with her when she left Mystic Falls in 1864, because Stefan would have followed.  Damon would have done anything to keep Katherine alive, and Stefan would have done anything to keep Damon alive.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 2

If the writers kill off Alaric and Caroline's twins, I will be beyond angry.  Caroline should not want Stefan.  Stefan will always chose Damon.

Preach! This is true and IMO will remain true until the show ends. I mean the little girls think of Caroline as their mommy, so it'd be a little harsh if she just abandoned them to run off with Stefan (who will always choose Damon over all..mostly) so I just have no clue how this is going to be resolved.

Is Candice even coming back full time for Season 8? I wonder if she might want to be dropped to recurring since she just had a baby not too long ago and maybe doesn't want to be on the show for an entire 22/23 episode season? I guess it depends on if Season 8 is the last or something. 

In a season where he is living without his soulmate and love of his life that has given him his only moments of true happiness his entire life, I'm truly gobsmacked at the audacity of this story.

If Damon were truly selfish, he would have left Bonnie for dead. Kai legit killed her for all intents and purpose and Damon chose to save her life when he could have let her die legitimately with zero blame attached to him, but he didn't.  Bonnie was standing between his life with Elena and a lifetime without her and he chose to save Bonnie. The whys and wherefores will be debated forever, but there is one thing for certain, this decision did not benefit Damon but he did it anyway.The show gives zero credit for that, the same way it gives Damon zeo credit for recklessly risking his life in saving Stefan in S5.

The show shows us one story whilst narrating another, it baffles me. 

is it possible i can marry you post, i mean, im already in love and 2 minutes pregnant with its child :P

this is how i feel!!

what gets me is that damon took every single beating for stefan, everyone that was meant for stefan he took it!! he even took the ones that should have been his mother's beatings, even though unwittingly. he even left his brother because he thought he was so damn worthless, and that he would be a serious detriment to his own brother.

i was thinking, when stefan said he wanted to hear what damon really was thinking, i was like, that he hated himself and knew he didn't deserve anything, what he actually said was what everyone thinks of him. 

im not the biggest fan of stefan, mainly because they always whitewash his sins, if they wrote him as a person who actually accepted that he had a dark side and worked towards becoming better, that would be interesting. but he written as if he does no wrong!! it is beyond tiresome!!

rayna, is a psycho bitch. i only go after the baddest of the baddies, so what did beau do?? he seemed like a guy who wouldn't hurt a fly. oh wait, he's black. what did the vamp inside jo do? oh, nothing!!

this, oh evil, selfish damon, he deserves to be punished for all eternity, because i am so in wuuuuuuv with stefan. give me a break!!

• Love 1

I'm not sure if "I went into the woods" was to be viewed as a foray into the mind of Thoreau in order to provide studious access to the theory that engaging in behavior that enriches your life makes you a better person; or that frivolous, silly waste of time pursuits negates a purposeful life. Reflection and soul searching seems to be the theme here. What I did appreciate, was a forlorn fable retrospective of contrition, disappointment and expectation starring the Salvatore brothers in another Groundhog loop from hell. Yes, that very space which Stefan imagined he fell into, is the very spot this episode, indeed the season (so far) has imported moi.  To wit, repetitive themes and dialogue. Supporting characters that are not only useless, they are  boring, poorly conceived and under developed albatrosses, rewarmed fraternal issues and unclear mythology, has left me wanting.

I wanted to be moved by the brother's emotional give and take. I wanted to be carried away by the emotionalism and sensitivity of their you-didn't-wouldn't-couldn't-be-there-for-me-I-can't-won't-because-I'm-b-bb-bad to the bone recitation. I wished that there was some sort of lightening bolt moment, where I'd learn something significant and new about these two--anything. I wanted dialogue between these two grown ass men that was..dunno...transcendental maybe? (for lack of a better word). What I got instead was Damon's urged declaration that he's unabashedly selfish (except with/for and about Elena) and Stefan's pouty assertions and blind expectation that his brother be better than what he is or who he claims to be. You know what? I get it. I get the message. I am bludgeoned by it--even as awkwardly as it's been presented and in spite of appearances, this was not a literal conversation with the tough I don't give a rat's ass Damon who says shit for effect; nor was it about a Stefan who believes that (despite words to the contrary) Damon won't always find him. Wanna bet he did when they played hide-and-seek? I believe he clings to those memories of a brother who he looked up to and loves. I--we have heard the 'promises of divorce' from each other once too often to believe in the reality of it (even in the dire circumstances in which they find themselves). That option will never come to pass.  I know that, you know that, I know JP knows that, and I know she knows that I know she knows that.

Stefan and Damon are the heart and soul of the show. Only Damon can 'save' Stefan, be he human or vampire, in whatever body he's in or mind trip he's on. Elena told us and him that. They save each other.  While I have some problem with the character of Damon, selfishness being one of them, I don't buy that he's solely defined by that trait. Likewise, Stefan is as complex as his brother, and I can't buy that he would complain about his brother 'leaving him'. After-all, Stefan has, in the past, requested that Damon do just that. So this insistence on making these boys appear one dimensional for...dramatic license? is just irritating and it doesn't work. And while the visuals (Stefan struggling in the cold and having a phone conversation with a deliberately resolute Damon) was meant to be heart felt (I mean I thought I heard angels singing when Damon appeared near Stefan, surrounded by the white light) it fell a little flat. All style no real substance, they can do better.

Meanwhile Stefan is once again saddled with an invasive being. This is like..what..the third time? How fortunate though, that he was able to get cable news in the cabin in the woods.

Matt..why? I cannot care about this character's grief if I don't know (or care) about his Penny! I suppose we will get the back, or forward, story soon. But the degree of interest I have is minus infinity.

The walking dead is coming to MF?? How exciting...well, if only. So, per Rayna the escapees from the stone are the worst of the worst. Wow. So what now? Will MF be bombarded with more unstable entities? Wait, wasn't Jo nice? So was Rayna responsible for imprisoning nice vamp Jo? I'm confoozled.

*Sigh" If only Spike and Angel were among the escapees...

• Love 3

I would be very amused if Spike and Angel showed up in MF snarking at each other, but I just know the writers would screw that up somehow.

I find the simplistic Damon is BADDDDDD, Stefan is GOODDDDD annoying, but I also find the other characters behavior inconsistent.

Vicki is dead because of Damon and Stefan.  Rebekah killed Elena (Elena came back as a vampire, but Rebekah didn't know that would happen).  Jeremy and Bonnie died how many times.  Tyler's a jerky teenage boy, then he is a werewolf, then a hybrid, then a werewolf.  Matt FINALLY decides he has had enough of supernaturals and deaths only after Stefan does something that gets Penny killed.  His family, friends, everyone's parents, the people he grew up with get killed, but it's Penny's death that sends him over the edge.  And Matt's solution is to free Rayna to go after Stefan, except that Rayna doesn't want to kill Stefan she wants to kill Damon, and now supposedly some of the worst vampires ever are on the loose which begs the question why imprison them in the stone instead of just killing them for good, and also this is, of course, all Damon's fault, no one else did anything to bring this about.  {face palm}

• Love 3

If Rayna is a vampire hunter....why isn't she killing every vampire in her path?

I think Rayna only goes after vampires that have been marked by the Phoenix Stone dagger.  It didn't matter whether the vampires were evil or not, as long as they were marked by the dagger, Rayna had to hunt them down and kill them.  Anyway, I think that's how it works.  I could be wrong.

It's been a very confusing season for me too. A lot of interesting characters like Stefan and Damon's mom was killed off too quickly.  I felt like she had more of a story to tell and the way she died was so anti-climatic.  Mary and Louise was a cute couple but they felt kind of superficial to me.  I didn't expect them to meet their end "Thelma and Louise" style so quickly. 

Does anyone understand what Enzo is doing these days?  The Armory people are pure assholes and I don't understand their motivations at all. What the fuck is going on with Matt?

I've watched all the episodes and still can't get a good grasp of the storylines.

The only thing that interests me are the Defan moments, but Damon is really trying my patience these days since he is such a selfish jerk and Stefan still needs to be the freakin' martyr. 

I guess I'll be watching to the bitter end and I hope the confusion of this season of VD will clear up soon.

She was chasing Nora & Mary Louise even though they didn't have the mark initially. She only marked Nora right before she died. But that could be explained due to her hatred of Julian? I don't think they thought her backstory out very well to be honest. Though I do think the actress is doing the best with what she has been given. 

I like the actress who plays Rayna, and I agree the writing is the problem for her and the other characters.  The Phoenix Stone makes no sense.  Rayna can use her sword to mark a vampire or to stab them and put them in the Phoenix Stone.  If she marks them, she has to chase them down, put them in the Phoenix Stone, or kill them.  So why doesn't Rayna just kill them instead of wasting time marking them?  Why put them in the Phoenix Stone if they can get out, and murder more people?

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 1

I really don't think they thought about the mythology behind the Phoenix Stone. It's too inconsistent. She allegedly puts them in there because it is a fate worse than death since they are suffering for eternity. And she did say in this episode that she destroys most of the bodies so they cannot return to them. Originally it seemed like you were trapped in the stone forever unless a witch pulled you out. But then Stefan & Damon got out by resolving their issues but also still needing a witch to pull them out. Which made the stone seem like a type of purgatory where you do penance and then get let out. So then why destroy the bodies if you're hoping the vampires in there will be changed? It's a mess. 

I'm not sure if "I went into the woods" was to be viewed as a foray into the mind of Thoreau in order to provide studious access to the theory that engaging in behavior that enriches your life makes you a better person; or that frivolous, silly waste of time pursuits negates a purposeful life. Reflection and soul searching seems to be the theme here. What I did appreciate, was a forlorn fable retrospective of contrition, disappointment and expectation starring the Salvatore brothers in another Groundhog loop from hell. Yes, that very space which Stefan imagined he fell into, is the very spot this episode, indeed the season (so far) has imported moi.  To wit, repetitive themes and dialogue. Supporting characters that are not only useless, they are  boring, poorly conceived and under developed albatrosses, rewarmed fraternal issues and unclear mythology, has left me wanting.

I wanted to be moved by the brother's emotional give and take. I wanted to be carried away by the emotionalism and sensitivity of their you-didn't-wouldn't-couldn't-be-there-for-me-I-can't-won't-because-I'm-b-bb-bad to the bone recitation. I wished that there was some sort of lightening bolt moment, where I'd learn something significant and new about these two--anything. I wanted dialogue between these two grown ass men that was..dunno...transcendental maybe? (for lack of a better word). What I got instead was Damon's urged declaration that he's unabashedly selfish (except with/for and about Elena) and Stefan's pouty assertions and blind expectation that his brother be better than what he is or who he claims to be. You know what? I get it. I get the message. I am bludgeoned by it--even as awkwardly as it's been presented and in spite of appearances, this was not a literal conversation with the tough I don't give a rat's ass Damon who says shit for effect; nor was it about a Stefan who believes that (despite words to the contrary) Damon won't always find him. Wanna bet he did when they played hide-and-seek? I believe he clings to those memories of a brother who he looked up to and loves. I--we have heard the 'promises of divorce' from each other once too often to believe in the reality of it (even in the dire circumstances in which they find themselves). That option will never come to pass.  I know that, you know that, I know JP knows that, and I know she knows that I know she knows that.

Stefan and Damon are the heart and soul of the show. Only Damon can 'save' Stefan, be he human or vampire, in whatever body he's in or mind trip he's on. Elena told us and him that. They save each other.  While I have some problem with the character of Damon, selfishness being one of them, I don't buy that he's solely defined by that trait. Likewise, Stefan is as complex as his brother, and I can't buy that he would complain about his brother 'leaving him'. After-all, Stefan has, in the past, requested that Damon do just that. So this insistence on making these boys appear one dimensional for...dramatic license? is just irritating and it doesn't work. And while the visuals (Stefan struggling in the cold and having a phone conversation with a deliberately resolute Damon) was meant to be heart felt (I mean I thought I heard angels singing when Damon appeared near Stefan, surrounded by the white light) it fell a little flat. All style no real substance, they can do better.

Meanwhile Stefan is once again saddled with an invasive being. This is like..what..the third time? How fortunate though, that he was able to get cable news in the cabin in the woods.

Matt..why? I cannot care about this character's grief if I don't know (or care) about his Penny! I suppose we will get the back, or forward, story soon. But the degree of interest I have is minus infinity.

The walking dead is coming to MF?? How exciting...well, if only. So, per Rayna the escapees from the stone are the worst of the worst. Wow. So what now? Will MF be bombarded with more unstable entities? Wait, wasn't Jo nice? So was Rayna responsible for imprisoning nice vamp Jo? I'm confoozled.

*Sigh" If only Spike and Angel were among the escapees...

It's always a pleasure to read well written snark, and you do it so well.