Type keyword(s) to search

Sookie

• Start Topic

(edited)

With the fabulous news that Melissa McCarthy will make an appearance in the upcoming Gilmore Girls revival, I thought it would be fun to start a thread for Sookie to celebrate. We can share favorite scenes or arcs involving Sookie, or just discuss the character.

One of my favorite Sookie bits is when she accidentally makes a date with Joe in season 3's, I Solemnly Swear. Her panic is so sweet, adorable and Sookie-esque. I absolutely crack up at her "let me give you some money" after she lets Joe down gently. Hee...so random.

I mentioned in the rewatch discussion how much I'm enjoying Sookie this time around. I've always liked her but seem to be appreciating even more than ever her sweetness and humor.

Edited by cantbeflapped
  • Love 1

One of my favorite Sookie bits is when she accidentally makes a date with Joe in season 3's, I Solemnly Swear. 

Lorelai:  (Says something kind and logical about how it must have been an innocent misunderstanding.)

Sookie:  I'm a whore.

• Love 4

Lorelai: (Says something kind and logical about how it must have been an innocent misunderstanding.)

Sookie: I'm a whore.

And then Jackson realising at the end!! :D

I know some have made the case for it, but I had a hard time buying Sookie's behavior in The Hobbit, the Sofa, and Digger Stiles, or the entire set up. I buy that she would be uncomfortable around children she wouldn't know, and even setting out a chaffing dish to keep food warm, and being surrounded by a couple dozen kids at a birthday would case her to have a panic attack about her her own impeding motherhood, including snapping at those children, but she went she went into that speech about how she doesn't even like kids and would heckle her 6 year old niece, it lost me. It seemed they were writing with either Paris Gellar or Michel in mind. From everything I had seen of Sookie for the 3 season beforehand, I don't buy she would be so cruel as to heckle a small child or go off  read somewhere to avoid kids (though she might try to hide out in the kitchen to avoid people, kids in particular.) I also don't believe she would botch a catering job that badly. For one thing, I am sure the boy's mother wouldn't be like "Sure, make whatever you want!" anymore than Emily did later. Second, even Sookie has shown a preference for casual food, whether it is making a simple birthday cake for Rory's 16 birthday, which would have been perfect for the boy's party instead of a liquer based cake for 8 years old (she would know better than that), to the fact she rejected a fancy restaurant in favor of burgers during her first date with Jackson. Adults eat kids food, but rarely is it the other way around, she would know this. She has also put on large spreads for the entire Stars Hollow, which was mixed age affairs, so it wasn't really her first rodeo. There were other ways to bring about her insecurities about motherhood, I thought this episode didn't do a good job of that. 

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I know some have made the case for it, but I had a hard time buying Sookie's behavior in The Hobbit, the Sofa, and Digger Stiles, or the entire set up. I buy that she would be uncomfortable around children she wouldn't know, and even setting out a chaffing dish to keep food warm, and being surrounded by a couple dozen kids at a birthday would case her to have a panic attack about her her own impeding motherhood, including snapping at those children, but she went she went into that speech about how she doesn't even like kids and would heckle her 6 year old niece, it lost me. It seemed they were writing with either Paris Gellar or Michel in mind. From everything I had seen of Sookie for the 3 season beforehand, I don't buy she would be so cruel as to heckle a small child or go off  read somewhere to avoid kids (though she might try to hide out in the kitchen to avoid people, kids in particular.) I also don't believe she would botch a catering job that badly. For one thing, I am sure the boy's mother wouldn't be like "Sure, make whatever you want!" anymore than Emily did later. Second, even Sookie has shown a preference for casual food, whether it is making a simple birthday cake for Rory's 16 birthday, which would have been perfect for the boy's party instead of a liquer based cake for 8 years old (she would know better than that), to the fact she rejected a fancy restaurant in favor of burgers during her first date with Jackson. Adults eat kids food, but rarely is it the other way around, she would know this. She has also put on large spreads for the entire Stars Hollow, which was mixed age affairs, so it wasn't really her first rodeo. There were other ways to bring about her insecurities about motherhood, I thought this episode didn't do a good job of that. 

I do believe it was just another case of over-exaggeration for comedic effect on this show (which we saw a lot of). And I will admit, that while a lot of the time, that bothered me when they did that, in this instance, I LOVED it! For some inexplicable reason, that is probably one of my favourite scenes in the series... "Hey we're talking!"... cracks me up every time.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, timimouse said:

I do believe it was just another case of over-exaggeration for comedic effect on this show (which we saw a lot of). And I will admit, that while a lot of the time, that bothered me when they did that, in this instance, I LOVED it! For some inexplicable reason, that is probably one of my favourite scenes in the series... "Hey we're talking!"... cracks me up every time.

Yeah, it was OTT but so funny. "They're small! How much can they eat?"

4 hours ago, Melancholy said:

Yeah, it was OTT but so funny. "They're small! How much can they eat?"

That I didn't mind either. On that same note, the amount of food for only 10 adults was crazy. I noticed only a few months later she served pot roast and cookies to adults when the Dragonfly Inn was opening. I just that that entire scene made Sookie look incompetent. 

I think the Sookie storyline demands some kind of fanwank that Sookie was rebelling in her mind from Jackson's OTT efforts to restructure their whole lives around lots of kids and his paranoia that they must develop these ideal-For-kids lives. Sookie subliminally wanted to rebel and test her limits on exactly how kids can keep up with her most adult tastes and behavior. She was subliminally looking for the internal confrontation point that she reached in the ep on whether she wants kids and whether she'll be a good parent. 

I always took Sookie's seemingly out of character meltdown at the birthday party to mean a couple of things.  The fear of impending motherhood, but also that she missed being able to cook how she loved to cook - all fancy and for adults.  I think she was in "professional chef" mode, not "make cheese fries for your BFF" mode.

... also, TV show pregnant lady crazy hormones.

• Love 4

I was just amused by a thought, as I was listening to the June 3rd episode, when Lorelai is going through the list of things that had all gone well, including Sookie okaying a caterer for the wedding. I just thought, "Never!" ;) 

I actually can't remember if she got better with that sort of thing, but in earlier seasons, she hadn't asked for resumes for chefs to replace her when she was on maternity leave or bed rest, and was apparently crying when she found out that Rory went elsewhere for the world's largest pizza. 

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:50 AM, Anela said:

I was just amused by a thought, as I was listening to the June 3rd episode, when Lorelai is going through the list of things that had all gone well, including Sookie okaying a caterer for the wedding. I just thought, "Never!" ;) 

I actually can't remember if she got better with that sort of thing, but in earlier seasons, she hadn't asked for resumes for chefs to replace her when she was on maternity leave or bed rest, and was apparently crying when she found out that Rory went elsewhere for the world's largest pizza. 

I agree, there's no way Sookie would okay any caterer but herself. She never found someone to take over for her while she was on maternity leave with Baby number two when Luke had to fill in. She was really upset with Rory for going to someone else for the pizza.

• Love 1