Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Chloramphenicol

This episode left me with the sickening certainty that the Center will kill Paige.  

The kicker was Oleg's father, Mr. Soviet Railroad Minister, speaking of the enormity of this kind of loss, for parents.  Followed by Gabriel's crafty manipulation -- ensuring that the Center (and Paige's parents) would continue to see Paige as potentially "recruitable," in exchange for keeping Pastor Tim and his MIssus alive.  

Followed by my own conviction that Paige could never be reliable, from the Center's perspective.  Her existence must eventually become untenable for those Soviet spy masters.  

• Love 1

I can understand if there is a story line ( carefully planned out thesis), but I see it more as a Ret Con ( creating a back story, when a writer realized s/he fucked up).

I don't understand--what's the retcon? I don't remember any backstory being introduced for Nina that corrected anything.

• Love 1

well.. Filming for the season is wrapped...the show has not been canceled.... Yet. So we know Kerri and Mathew are in for at least another season.

I have a question, even though the season is not over....why did Nina even have a storyline? Why are we supposed to care about ANY of the Jailed Russians? It doesn't seem to mesh with anything.... Other than fbi guy misses her.

I think there is a parallel in themes that these characters have no freedom and are imprisoned by their lives. Nina was trying to buy her life back by doing her government's bidding, but she didn't like who she had become and decided to help Anton. Phillip is not happy with who he has become, either. Elizabeth rationalizes that all the lies and murder is for a cause or a higher good, but is she free to determine her own fate or the fate of her family? I think that is where the prison theme fits into the story.

• Love 3

From a story telling prospective,.. They should be killing off a character a week.

I love this show... But it's not long for the graveyard... Wrap it up and kill everyone.

Like you say yourself, this show looks to have at least one more year ahead of it. So no need to kill characters off just for the sake of resolving story lines.

• Love 1

Like you say yourself, this show looks to have at least one more year ahead of it. So no need to kill characters off just for the sake of resolving story lines.

The showrunners have said, I think pretty much from the get-go, that they see the show running a total of 5-6 seasons. So, 1-2 more seasons after this 1 ends. And it's apparently up to the showrunners when to end it, instead of FX pulling the plug &, God forbid, unexpectedly leaving us with a massive unresolved cliffhanger. Of course the showrunners could do that, seeing as they get to decide when it's over, but I don't think they would.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎.‎4‎.‎2016 at 9:34 AM, NicoleMN6 said:

3) Oleg signed Nina's death warrant... once his dad saw that Oleg loved her enough to give up on his beloved Amerikanski lifestyle, he had to make sure Nina didn't make it out alive. Sigh.

I think just the opposite: Nina was a traitor, so it would hardly be even possible for Oleg's father to save her. I suspect that he didn't even try - why would he endanger his career for a traitor even if told Oleg otherwise?

• Love 2

I'm gonna have to nitpick... there were no plastic bags in USSR like the one prison guard used to gather Nina's belongings. We went to the store with our own shopping bags, usually home sewn from thick fabric... or there were net like things. 

Also, in the next episode (it's not a spoiler cause we know Oleg's brother died) the cemetery is all wrong. In America cemetery is a field, a meadow. In Eastern Europe it's a wooded area. Unless it's a very new plot, but there were a LOT of tomb stones in different state of being weathered down for it to be a new plot... 

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 2