Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Where Are They Now? Melissa and Ashley

• Start Topic

A nutritionist I used to work with told me that a glass of OJ was like eating 10 oranges in one sitting. Made me stop drinking juice.

Really, I didn't know that....but honestly at this point, I only drink juice when my blood sugar is low.  The idea that it takes like 30 seconds to drink 10 oranges is crazy.

Guest dutronc

How is the orange juice thing calculated? An orange has 40-50 calories per orange, and a standard 8oz serving of orange juice (not Sunny D) has about 100-120 calories, so it seems to me that juice would be at most three oranges.

The extended bits about Melissa missing her old job, especially because being at home reminded her of when she was trapped in the house, were really poignant. Ashley doesn't really seem to have figured out a purpose. I know she said she wanted to open a day care, but I don't know if her heart is in that. I got the impression it was something she thought of a while ago and got stuck on.

How is the orange juice thing calculated? An orange has 40-50 calories per orange, and a standard 8oz serving of orange juice (not Sunny D) has about 100-120 calories, so it seems to me that juice would be at most three oranges.

The extended bits about Melissa missing her old job, especially because being at home reminded her of when she was trapped in the house, were really poignant. Ashley doesn't really seem to have figured out a purpose. I know she said she wanted to open a day care, but I don't know if her heart is in that. I got the impression it was something she thought of a while ago and got stuck on.

The orange juice numbers had me confused as well, so I went to the Sunkist site, which says 5-6 Valencia oranges make an 8 oz glass of juice. http://www.sunburstoranges.com/#!orange-juice-101/cgwx As a diabetic, I stay away from the juice, but have no blood sugar problems eating 2-4 oranges or halos at a time. The fiber in the real orange makes the difference.

• Love 4

The fiber from the fruit slows down the absorption of the sugar from the fruit into the blood system, so the body has more of a chance to dump it straight out the other end without it affecting the blood sugar levels. 

I don't understand the paper plate thing either, but I'm a huge hypocrite about it, as I do frequently prefer to use paper, but my reason is that I am one person, and for me to accumulate enough stuff in my dishwasher to be worth running it can easily take a week. And yes that probably does mean I could easily handwash, and I probably should but I get weird about germs and I feel like the dishwasher gets things a lot hotter than I can (and for the record I do pre wash so the plates are practically clean when I put them in I just feel like it sanitizes them I guess).

I'm probably not gonna be popular here, I don't like corn dogs either, it's not a health food issue, I just don't like them, I also don't like whipped cream... I'm not sure what's wrong with me I eat plenty of junk food but I don't like those.

I'm glad Melissa finally left that douchecanoe, I remember her original episode her telling him he was gonna wind up needing his own surgery if he wasn't careful, looks like he's well on his way.

• Love 2

I watched this last night and remembered watching Melissa's original show. I want to give her a lot of slack, because the emotional drain it is to be married to an idiot like Chris is huge. He didn't even try to be nice when the cameras were rolling. You'd think after 20 years she would realize that being single with 5 kids would be a huge improvement over another 20 years married to that emotional black hole. 

• Love 4

Finally got to see this episode.

Wasn't that Chay in the meeting but he said his name was Joe?!

Melissa's husband is a pig but I also think she is a depressed person and probably isn't the easiest to live with.

I felt bad for Ashley when her mom and sister were both asking her about her weight at dinner, you can see why she turns to food for comfort. 

I'm probably not gonna be popular here, I don't like corn dogs either, it's not a health food issue, I just don't like them, I also don't like whipped cream... I'm not sure what's wrong with me I eat plenty of junk food but I don't like those.

I don't think anyone needs to apologize for liking or disliking certain foods. We all have our own tastes. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you either- that is what taste it. 

But if you happen to dislike something, it doesn't mean it's "disgusting" if thousands of people DO like it and eat it. This is not directed at anyone here- I just had a house guest from Italy who called anything HE didn't like "disgusting". For example "Starbucks is disgusting, the coffee is horrible, it's the worst coffee in the world" rant that I've heard 100 times- well that might your Opinion and I myself don't like Starbucks coffee, but 1000's of them are opening and making a profit and millions of people like it, so it can't be all that disgusting!

Thanks for letting me vent!

• Love 3
Guest dutronc

Yeah, that drives me up a wall. I think it's rude, especially if it's "[ethnic cuisine] is disgusting," and additionally, it's factually untrue because it's a matter of opinion. It's ultimately a small matter, but it still bothers me because food is often such a personal thing for people. 

I wonder if we're going to get an update on Donald. He was in Melissa and Ashley's cohort, and Henry has passed away. Based on what I think is his twitter, it seems like the Guillain Barre continues to cause him problems.  I wonder what else is going on (if anything).

On 4/2/2016 at 9:21 AM, Barb23 said:

I forgot to mention that Dee Dee from Dr Phil was dressed nicely, no exposed body parts when they showed her clip at home. She had on a nice dress with what looked like leggings underneath, nice shoes, hair & makeup done tastefully. It made her look oh so much better than what we usually see.

I wonder what happened to Dee Dee? She blamed her weight gain on a spider bite. Considering that she was already 47 and that was back in 2006, I'd be surprised if she was still alive today, sad to say.