Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: It Happening One Night

Great episode all around. "Tell me that didn't look awesome!"

The Doom Factory was fun to see. An Andy Warhol-themed Legion of Doom to contrast all the Marvel themed villains seen so far. St. Cloud would've fit in right in with these guys. Of course they're the only villains seen this season that Rusty seems to fear. Also, all of Rusty's inventions were on their ship as it blew up, so now he'll be back to square one.

So now Hank is wearing Michael Jackson clothes now, even though I keep thinking of Weird Al from the "Fat" video than "Bad." I really loved his story.

The Blue Morpho adventure was loads of fun. I love how Monarch couldn't use his scooter (which they finally used).

I never got into art, so I'm guessing a lot of references went over my head. I guess it doesn't matter, because Monarch blew the bad guys to hell. And Rusty lost a lot of his shit. Par for the course for that guy.

When is Brock going to stop being a buttmonkey? He beat up a faux ninja and Pete. Not that impressive. Shit, I can take out Pete. Is it possible fighting the Monarch's henchmen inflated his record?

• Love 1

None of the Monarch's henchmen had power suits like Wide Wale's did. Nor did they have laser harpoons. Brock tends to go toe to toe with anyone with actual powers or armor, but regular people and henchmen go down in seconds.

• Love 1

I wasn't sure what to make of the Doom Factory.  I assumed it was a knock against Grant Morrison but someone on The AV Club it was a loving homage.  I didn't want to hate this show for making fun of one of the few British Comic Book writers I like.

Now, were the Doom Factory based on actual Warhol groupies, and, if so, can anyone tell which was which?

Monarch/Morpho getting his coat snagged on the window just before the bombs go off is classic show.  And the fact the bombs didn't detonate until after he was safe and the Doom Factory was in makes me think that they were remotely activated.  Or were they I missed it because I was also playing Fallout 4 while watching this?

So that makes the Morpho kill count thirteen, doesn't it?  And now Dr. Mrs. The Monarch is going to come gunning for Venture.

Eeep!

I could actually care less about Hank's subplot.  Did like Brock and the lead bodyguard teaming up and ragging on each other.

• Love 1

Andy Warhol spoofing! Not exactly topical. What's next, a Tammany Hall parody? The Warhol prints, the "Silver Clouds" balloons, Empire and screen tests...good stuff. The Doom Factory obviously referred to the Legion of Doom, but I detect some Doom Patrol stuff (like the Brotherhood of Evil and Brotherhood of Dada) in there as well.

Just wish I knew enough about Warhol's crowd to identify more than a handful of the real people references.

Monarch/Morpho getting his coat snagged on the window just before the bombs go off is classic show.  And the fact the bombs didn't detonate until after he was safe and the Doom Factory was in makes me think that they were remotely activated.  Or were they I missed it because I was also playing Fallout 4 while watching this?

The detonator fell out of Morpho's pocket on the roof of the Venture building, which is what set off the explosion.

• Love 2

I never got into art, so I'm guessing a lot of references went over my head. I guess it doesn't matter, because Monarch blew the bad guys to hell. And Rusty lost a lot of his shit. Par for the course for that guy.

When is Brock going to stop being a buttmonkey? He beat up a faux ninja and Pete. Not that impressive. Shit, I can take out Pete. Is it possible fighting the Monarch's henchmen inflated his record?

A lot of the Warhol bits were homages to scenes from the Oliver Stone film the Doors (where Val Kilmer plays Jim Morrison). Check that movie out if you haven't already.

Some more thoughts after a rewatch:

Hard Candy's costume reminds me of D. L. Diamond from one of the Superjail! episodes, just with a different color scheme..

I spotted a couple of familiar costumes at the party the Doom Factory threw in the living room:

• Scare Bear, the creepy silent guy in the bloodstained bear costume lurking in the hall outside the "screen test" room. He tried to join the Revenge Society.
  • The guy who resembles the Creature From the Black Lagoon. He was at Hatred's party.
  • The guy with the electrical plug on his face and an electrical socket on his chest. He was at Rusty's yard sale.

Amusingly, some of the party guests in the living room were watching Rusty's "screen test" on his big screen TV.

Hank and Sirena's underwater kiss was definitely borrowed from one of the Bond films. Can't remember which one. Thunderball or maybe Dr. No?

If villains are as easy to kill as they have been this season, one wonders why anyone ever bothered to make treaties with the Guild.

I get the impression the Guild is so entwined in red tape that no one tries to kill their arch any more.

So, all the Venture Industries inventions were destroyed when the ship exploded when Monarch dropped the remote detonator? Dang, Rusty is going to go bankrupt quicker than I thought!

• Love 2

The red tape was partially created by Jonas, Sr. He helped forge the "treaty of tolerance" and made the guild adopt rules that hamstrung all villains. Perhaps Blue Morpho was part of that plan.

• Love 2

The red tape was partially created by Jonas, Sr. He helped forge the "treaty of tolerance" and made the guild adopt rules that hamstrung all villains. Perhaps Blue Morpho was part of that plan.

You mean the reason they implemented it?

You mean the reason they implemented it?

Treaties are created by at least two parties. So, no, I believe he helped create the treaty. At the very least he was the Jimmy Carter of that situation and helped broker the deal.

The villain deaths have all been convenient accidents so far (Harangutan's being the only one that was a result of direct confrontation).

That makes it even worse. It's just plain pathetic for them to die just because Monarch/Morpho tripped over his untied shoelaces or something.

What's next, a Tammany Hall parody?

I am very ready for this episode if they want to do that.

I get the impression the Guild is so entwined in red tape that no one tries to kill their arch any more.

The whole red tape/rebuilding of the Guild is really interesting, but has it ever been about actually killing the arch?

I really liked this Doom group m/o. Take over a throw a party. I liked at the end, "we are actually arching you." Oh. Yeah. 

• Love 1

Something that didn't occur to me until just a minute ago: Rusty referred to his "Speed Suit" as a onesie! He must really have been shaken up. He's usually so insistent about the terminology.

• Love 1