Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: Happy Go Lucky

Lisin
  • Start Topic

From IMDB: "As Aaron Echolls's trial is about to conclude, tensions rise as Veronica, Keith and Logan take the witness stand to testify against him. Meanwhile, after Veronica finds a suspicious e-mail in Woody's computer, Keith turns to Lamb with evidence to arrest Woody, but Lamb refuses, believing that Keith is trying to turn him into a laughing stock. Also, to everyone's surprise, Lucky brings a gun into school with the intent to find Gia."

Another really full episode. The trial is ending and Veronica and Logan have to testify and it's awful. Logan is so great on the stand though. Keith is so great and understanding and not judgy about Veronica's STD. Father of the year award to Keith! The not guilty verdict though. Ugh. The fact that Veronica and Logan were even expected to be taking finals while this was going on is insane.

Wallace the hero! Stupid hero, but hero nonetheless! Veronica's face when she thinks he's been shot is so upsetting. I love Kristen Bell!

Woody is evil, and Keith is going to take him down!

MAN this epsode is rough. The cold open is super-intense. Weevil gets fingered out of nowhere for Curly's murder and presumably won't graduate, even though Mac and Beaver got him to learn algebra enough to do it. Veronica gets beat up on the witness stand, though Logan is a badass. Jackie's dad lets her down and she runs away to Paris without saying goodbye to Wallace. Veronica skips out on her final and so won't get the scholarship, so she won't get to go to Stanford (because I guess there's no such thing as financial aid in this world). Then, fucking muderface himself gets off scot-free.

At least mrgoodwood is going down.

• Love 2

Oh! Also, I forgot how awesome it is that Hart comes back and Veronica has no idea who he is. (Neither did I, right until the end of the interaction.) This was good that they didn't previously-on it, I loved the "OH YEAH I REMEMBER" moment when it finally clicked, and it wouldn't have really mattered to a viewer who didn't get that.

• Love 1

Heck of a penultimate episode.  Not surprised Aaron got not guilty, considering there was some reasonable doubt created by his high priced attorney.  A bit amazed he still didn't get convicted of statutory rape though.

Keith needed to take his own advice on getting rattled on the stand.  And I guess someone breached a bit of patient-doctor privilege.

The freaking trial episode. Yikes. I just try not to listen to what's happening during the trial and pretend they're just talking about cupcakes and football, because even before I went to law school I knew it was bad. And the big problem was that they framed the result as being part of the crapsack noir world where the rich get away with everything, but this wasn't about rich vs. poor. Lily Kane was America's sweetheart, gone too soon, daughter of software giant Jake Kane. The guy who invented YouTube and swore revenge in the last season finale is just going to roll over for a lawyer apparently trying to get a high score in Legal Malpractice 2: Inadmissible Evidence? Freaking what?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/8/2015 at 3:10 PM, DigitalCount said:

The freaking trial episode. Yikes. I just try not to listen to what's happening during the trial and pretend they're just talking about cupcakes and football, because even before I went to law school I knew it was bad. And the big problem was that they framed the result as being part of the crapsack noir world where the rich get away with everything, but this wasn't about rich vs. poor. Lily Kane was America's sweetheart, gone too soon, daughter of software giant Jake Kane. The guy who invented YouTube and swore revenge in the last season finale is just going to roll over for a lawyer apparently trying to get a high score in Legal Malpractice 2: Inadmissible Evidence? Freaking what?

Yeah, it was not good. The reference to the homeowner who did not testify was particularly galling. Also, I did not understand the theory presented. What was the explanation of the fire? there had to be physical evidence. 

• Love 1
On 1/8/2015 at 4:10 PM, DigitalCount said:

What I never understood about the trial, was how did Aaron not get convicted of attempted murder? He tried to kill Veronica and Keith and their were witnesses to that. Even if they couldn't prove he killed Lily. They could definitely prove that he attempted to murder Veronica and Keith. Sure it would have been a lesser sentence, but still he would have been in prison. 

Also didn't he admit to the affair with Lily? So yes he def should have been convicted of statutory rape on top of attempted murder.

Yeah, they try to gloss over Aaron's actions in LitB by saying that the homeowner in that house nearby was unavailable. I've been listening to a podcast recently that sort of brought it home for me, because in a sense I don't think we're supposed to get stuck in the details of the trial itself (since they're all so poorly researched). I think emotionally we're supposed to be sad but unsurprised that a rich movie star accused of murder and statutory rape beats the charge, and the specific vehicle getting us there is less important. Aaron was never going to pay for his crime in the legal manner.