Type keyword(s) to search

Jay Halstead: Another Mystery Among Mysteries

• Start Topic

Among the main characters in the Intelligence Unit, we know least about Halstead. (What, for instance, is "Jay" a nickname for? Jacob? Jason? Something else?)

The chief info we have to date is that he served in Afghanistan and that the little brother of his high school girlfriend was murdered, causing him to persist obsessively toward solving the case. Both elements seem to indicate Halstead has a serious nature, committed to causes he cares about.

Perhaps for that reason, Halstead has been building a strong relationship with his partner Lindsay from almost the moment they met. While they are quick to tease and laughingly argue, they are equally quick to support one another, both in work and outside. For example, when Lindsay asked Halstead to accompany her to her high school reunion, he never even hesitated, even when he protested over the complicated and ridiculous life story Lindsay had concocted for the couple. It was clear that he realized how important it all was to Lindsay, and since she's important to him, he's willing to go along with whatever she needs or wants of him.

That, in turn, is the likely reason that Lindsay ended up confessing the truth about her relationship with Voight that night, and as much of her background as she seems to have told anyone thus far. Lindsay basically put her heart on her sleeve, testing Halstead with the information that had made many people in her past scorn and turn on her. But Halstead just listened quietly, never breaking eye contact. When Lindsay concluded, he wordlessly reached for her hand, letting her know that he was and would be there for her regardless of her past.

Personally I have no doubt that Halstead and Lindsay will be the end game couple. However, given the nature of their previous hurts and their difficulties with trust, I am fine with giving the relationship time to grow. As it is, the two have become remarkably close in a relatively short time (remember, for instance, the night that Voight unexpectedly showed up at Lindsay's door and Halstead was inside; although we had never seen him there before, it was crystal clear that the two spend a great deal of personal time together, as Halstead was sprawled on the couch, beer in hand and feet on the coffee table, while Lindsay had changed into comfortable clothes). Most likely, despite their best efforts at keeping things business-only right now, they are likely to be pulled into the comfort of this scenario again before long. Bottom line, they need and crave one another in a myriad of ways.

(edited)

I'm really intrigued by Jay. I kinda like that we don't know too much about him yet although it was nice to have the focus on him slightly with the Rodiger case. I've seen a lot of comments on other sites that the unit hung him out to dry with this and didn't have his back etc but I really don't think that's the case. He went about it in the wrong way. Remember when Voight said you tell me the truth so that I can lie for you? Jay didn't do that. Voight made the rules crystal clear and Jay didn't stick to them so I don't think it's too bad that he was left to deal with this on his own. We all knew he didn't do it anyway!

As for him and Lindsay, I do think they'll be the couple together at the end also. I think it'll be a long, bumpy road for them though. They've definitely cooled off a bit just now, keeping it professional as Lindsay says but I don't see that that can last for long. There are feelings there that are bound to come out, whether Voight likes it or not!

Oh and I don't think Jay is short for anything... that's a name on it's own, no?

Edited by Rionadh

As for him and Lindsay, I do think they'll be the couple together at the end also. I think it'll be a long, bumpy road for them though.

IMO they can't put them together too quickly, because - in the eyes of TPTB, not necessarily the viewers' - it gets "boring." But IMO if they wait too long, that in turn makes its own problems with viewers. 

Oh and I don't think Jay is short for anything... that's a name on it's own, no?

Sure, it could be, but it's not likely...especially not 30 or so years ago when he would've been born. That was my day, and typically boys would be Jacob or Jason. Giving nicknames as legal names is something more common now (I work in an urban school district and see the birth certificates all the time.)

It was just a small scene, but personally I really enjoyed the moment where Jay and Erin were leaving work and ran into Charlie. Of course Erin tried to play it cool as usual, but it was clear to see sheer terror beneath her facade. It was also apparent that Jay was studying her face and body language throughout the entire exchange, just waiting for the split second he would be given the command to attack.

Even though Erin told him to go and he apparently did, IMO Jay didn't entirely leave the scene. Given his concern for Erin, his knowledge of her past, and just overall what they do each day, I like to think that Jay simply walked away until he was out of sight, yet could still see and hear what was happening. Not for a single minute do I think he would just have left Erin to a potentially dangerous situation, simply because she wanted to "take care of it herself," y'know?

I doubt that he just dropped it either, he probably did wait outside until he saw Charlie leaving at least.

I really want to learn more about Jay, he's a bit of an enigma at the moment. I know we got the storyline with his ex's little brother but that wasn't really about him, I'd like to learn more about his past before he was in the police. I know he was in the military but I wonder what made him leave?

Right, me too.

We know that if his high school girlfriend's family is in Chicago, that's where he also grew up. Presumably he still has parents or siblings around?

We also know that he was friends with Antonio Dawson prior to joining Intelligence, and in fact the friendship was strong enough that Antonio put himself out there to vouch for Jay to Voight in this elite unit. 

Also, we know that Jay dated Gabriella Dawson for a short time. However that happened on Chicago Fire, last year, so I really don't know if that's still considered canon as his character was being introduced to viewers at that time, or if it's been retconned since.

We also know that he was friends with Antonio Dawson prior to joining Intelligence, and in fact the friendship was strong enough that Antonio put himself out there to vouch for Jay to Voight in this elite unit.

I thought Dawson vouched for him because he caught that mob guy (while guesting on Fire) and as a result of that he could pick what department he went into. He chose Intelligence.

Last episode Jay mentioned to Voight that he had no beneficiaries. Does that mean he has no family?

I thought Dawson vouched for him because he caught that mob guy (while guesting on Fire) and as a result of that he could pick what department he went into. He chose Intelligence.

Last episode Jay mentioned to Voight that he had no beneficiaries. Does that mean he has no family?

I think so. I know my coworker took her husband off her life insurance and switched the money to 1/2 her parents and 1/2 her brother. I would guess he has no close relatives at all.

He was Bobby Brady? Huh! 

I do know that Soffer was Will Munson on As the World Turns for a number of years. As soon as I saw him onscreen the first time, I laughed, "Hey, Will's a cop, just like dad!"

Will Munson was one of Oakdale police officer Hal Munson's numerous red headed progeny. Even Hal's step-daughter was a Ginger on that show

• Love 1

I like the personal turmoil that's been hinted at for Jay...first about his father (what reason could there be for their not having spoken in years? something about his mom's death?) and now Will's implied Jay was a mess when he got back from Afghanistan. I'm looking forward to finding out more.

On 10/19/2015 at 10:02 PM, SnarkySheep said:

I like the personal turmoil that's been hinted at for Jay...first about his father (what reason could there be for their not having spoken in years? something about his mom's death?) and now Will's implied Jay was a mess when he got back from Afghanistan. I'm looking forward to finding out more.

And a year and a half later, we might finally get a small glimpse at some answers!

Reminder to those who don't watch the other shows but might be interested - Will and Jay's father will be on Chicago Med on April 13, and Jesse will be a guest star as well.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

And a year and a half later, we might finally get a small glimpse at some answers!

Reminder to those who don't watch the other shows but might be interested - Will and Jay's father will be on Chicago Med on April 13, and Jesse will be a guest star as well.

Don't get your hopes up just yet! :P

• Love 2

I'm not familiar with the actor who will be playing Dad, so I really can't even put together a mental scenario of what he might be like with his sons. But yeah, it should definitely be interesting to see. 

On 4/8/2017 at 7:32 AM, dreamcatcher said:

Don't get your hopes up just yet! :P

On 4/10/2017 at 11:08 PM, SnarkySheep said:

I'm not familiar with the actor who will be playing Dad, so I really can't even put together a mental scenario of what he might be like with his sons. But yeah, it should definitely be interesting to see. 

Yep... I didn't get much out of that at all. All of a sudden Jay is speaking to his father with no explanation why?  Oh well...