Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Edmund Reid Did This

Oh, those cocky bastards and their early renewal!!! After the breathless cliffhanger, I immediately went looking for episode 7, only to discover that there wasn’t one! It was announced that S4 would have 8 episodes, but I’m guessing that ultimately meant 8 hours—two-hour-plus, movie-quality premiere and long runtimes on each episode.

It’s surreal how badly it turns out for the group. And it was both fascinating and frustrating to see the characters fraying—you could tell their actions would come back to bite them (uh, literally): Jackson threatening Croker with his gun set Croker’s betrayal in motion, Croker threatening Nathaniel set Dove’s betrayal in motion, Drake threatening Dove pushed Dove to strike, and Rose’s spilling secrets… dammit, Rose!

I was pleasantly surprised by “Edmund Reid did this” as Swift’s lasts words. I didn’t see the reveal coming, and it fit perfectly in this episode about consequences.

Susan was so resigned and small after realizing her dream of escape was dead and that Croker had a hand in ending it. I also think she was still numbed by the fact that, for the second time, her heist went wrong and people died collaterally. (The first heist being the train accident in S3.)

Croker calling Nathaniel “the teeth of the hurricane, your kraken waking” was an evocative image, tying back into S4’s ocean and monster motifs, both. But after Mathilda’s talk with Drummond about realism—“there are no princesses and no monsters, only humans”—I found Reid quoting the “man is wolf to man” proverb much more thought-provoking.

It occurred to me that Mathilda rejects the “fairy tale” because that was part of her captivity by the Buckleys. She was a princess in the story that was her coping mechanism, IIRC, and to now be called a princess by Drummond reconnects to that trauma. So it’s not only about Mathilda pursuing truth and logic, like her father. I was impressed by Mathilda’s subversion of romantic stereotypes, regardless.

Macfadyen reading the rabbi’s journal was beautiful to listen to—he can literally stand around and read aloud and it’s compelling.

-------

In sum, I’ve found Series 4 to be very strong, though never quite reaching the heights of Series 3. That’s not a fair comparison, perhaps—the surprises of Susan shooting Reid or Mathilda’s return or Swift’s murder may be impossible to top. But there was a go-for-broke sensibility to S3 that was missing this time, and by hinting at the serial killer from the beginning, it made the story feel more conventional.

• Love 3
(edited)

A week later, and I am still thinking about Series 4’s ending. (That “to be continued” is very… vexing.)

Augustus Dove interests me much more now, retrospectively. I’ve found myself wondering how he could kill Abel in such a quick turn and looking for reasons beyond “plot device.”

Dove was on the offensive at that point in the story. He was striking out at Reid and Drake to silence them, and so an attack-first response with Abel is consistent. It was just in stark contrast to the lengthy discussion and planning between Dove and Abel in the previous episode. Their conversations established that they were partners in protecting Nathaniel and, vaguely, protecting Abel’s criminal enterprise. They were also bound together as adoptive family.

I suppose Abel deciding Nathaniel had to die was all it took for Dove to turn on him. He chose a little brother over an adoptive father. But the insult of Abel making the decision without Dove is important, IMO*. Abel didn’t discuss killing Nathaniel, and so Dove didn’t try to talk him out of it in return—again, attacking first. No more partnership. Perhaps Abel knew that Dove would never consent and thought that, because he was the father figure, he could rely on overruling Dove.

The power dynamic had shifted though, tipping in Dove’s favor. In 4.1, Abel was the authority—all that I-raised-you-don’t-forget-your-roots talk. But Dove’s professional power, institutional power, subtly grew across S4. Recall, for example, that he was freshly promoted in the season premiere, a reward for effectively resolving the Isaac Bloom case. Then, he received “a bauble”, further professional commendation, in ep. 4.5, I think it was. He was now celebrated. So, as we saw when he set the police force to hunting Reid and Drake, Dove had a great deal of power. “Who here overrules me?” as he said in ep. 4.1.

I had wondered why Croker and Nathaniel seemed underwhelmed by, if not wary of, Dove receiving that award. It was because he was outgrowing them, I think. He now outmatched Abel, and how he would react with that power, even Abel underestimated.

*BTW, I see now that a prior chink in Dove and Abel’s partnership was Abel not telling him about Susan. Abel prioritized protecting Susan over sharing with Dove, and Dove took it as an insult, I think.

-------

One of the few details released about Series 5 is that DI Jedediah Shine will return. I look forward to seeing how/if Dove and Shine will intersect. It seems significant that the corrupt cop from Series 2 is returning, just when Reid and Co. are threatened by the awful power of another one (Dove). Shine was called a monster at various points, IIRC, and I wonder if S5 will move away from exploration of the “animal” monster, the uncontrollable killer, to reflect more on corruption of power as the monster.

I forgot to mention a callback in ep. 4.6 to A White World Made Red: the mother’s blood on the snow. The event and image that shaped Nathaniel and Dove, both. Not that everything in Ripper Street isn’t a callback, at this point—it’s incredibly novelistic.

Edited by weyrbunny
  • Love 3

I actually was really hoping both Susan and Rose would be killed this season, or at least exited from the show. This show has a hard time with creating likable female characters. I did not want to see Drake dead at all. But I just can't tell at all what next season will look like with all our main protagonists no longer cops?

Nooooooo!!!!  Bennet's not dead right, right??? OMG.

I was not expecting that ending.  What a great, tense episode.   Everyone was very good but I thought Jerome Flynn and MyAnna Buring really stood out.  JF really sold Drake's exhausted depression in the opening scene (hi there Ginger Whiskers!) though I was distracted by the focus on his (Atherton's) feet as he took his boots off.  I guess they were showing he was tired but happy?  Or maybe BBCA cut something out.  Anyway, it was a nice scene between the two of them.

My heart was breaking for Drake but his behavior with Rose - pushing her, accusing her of cheating - was not a good look for him.  As usual, no one cares about Connor, who will probably grow up to be a serial killer at this rate.  I missed when it was revealed that Rose & Dove were childhood pals, I was wondering why she was confiding in him.   So our team just left old man Swift in the cellar?   I admit I don't remember that completely and it wasn't clear to me that they left him there to die.  Very sloppy. 

I can't hate Rose, who has been pushed aside, disregarded and called crazy and then accused of cheating while her husband pushes her.  I didn't think he would hit her but all she sees is that he's angrily beating Dove in a jealous rage.    I could feel a bit more sympathetic if she showed any kind of care toward Connor or maybe if Charlene McKenna was a stronger actress (she's not awful but probably the weakest of the main group).  Rose comes off as shrill and slightly unhinged - appearing to give up the Swift secret (when was that confided in her?  I don't remember her being there, just seems odd that Drake would tell her) because she's angry about things.

I'm not a fan of Susan's behavior but MyAnna Buring is doing excellent work.  The look on her face when Reid finds her and then her desperation when Rose is accusing her in public made me feel for her a bit.  Still, her and Jackson's hare-brained plan to live happily ever after (abetted by Abel) caused the death of those two guards.  I was hoping Jackson would try to leave some kind of anonymous tip about Nathaniel but nope.  I can't help but want some reckoning.  I'm peeved at Jackson too.  I just can't muster too much sympathy for either one.  Still, no one's hands are clean here. 

Aw Reid, crying over his friend Drake.  Please don't be dead :(

Macfadyen reading the rabbi’s journal was beautiful to listen to—he can literally stand around and read aloud and it’s compelling.

Totally agree; he has a wonderful voice and a great presence. 

On 9/13/2016 at 2:35 AM, tangerinepill said:

I actually was really hoping both Susan and Rose would be killed this season, or at least exited from the show.

I'd be on board with Susan dying and Rose divorcing Drake and moving on.  I feel like Jackson's character is damaged from going all-out to save Susan now. I guess it's consistent with his less law-abiding nature but I don't like it.  I love our guys and Swift was nasty but they did murder him so I can't wish death on Rose for the reveal when she didn't know what Dove was about, plus I'm tired of terrible things happening to other people because of something in Susan's past or something Susan wants.  It doesn't seem like Rose and Drake's marriage can survive (if he does). 

So glad we are getting a wrap up season.  I'm guessing there will be some kind of attempt at "I cover for you, you cover for me" with Dove with Nathaniel as a wild card.   I can't see a future in policing for any of our group, even Drake if he survives. 

Edited by raven
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, raven said:

JF really sold Drake's exhausted depression in the opening scene (hi there Ginger Whiskers!) though I was distracted by the focus on his (Atherton's) feet as he took his boots off.  I guess they were showing he was tired but happy?  Or maybe BBCA cut something out.  Anyway, it was a nice scene between the two of them.

I thought it was a callback to that episode where he had gout. I'm not joking. :)

Rose was so irritating this season, especially this episode. I don't understand why she was able to turn on Bennett so easily. I also don't understand why she hates Susan so much. I hope next season ends with Jackson and Susan leaving the country with their son. I do not want Rose to raise him. Her personality is so changing and flighty.

Jackson kinda got caught holding the stupid stick this season. He's done some rash things in the past, but this season he just went all out felon because of his love for Susan. Hopefully all the main characters can redeem themselves next season, at least in the eyes of the audience and each other.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I thought it was a callback to that episode where he had gout. I'm not joking. :)

You're right!  I forgot about that, d'oh.

I also don't understand Rose's about-face.  Maybe she was angry that Connor didn't bond with her and she took it out on Susan and everyone else.   She didn't seem too happy being married even before Connor got there.  Her change in attitude was abrupt.  I agree with you that she shouldn't raise Connor; I'm leaning more towards thinking Susan dies somehow and Jackson goes to America with Connor.

Edited by raven
  • Love 1

The scene of Drake fighting with Nathaniel in the tunnels with that torch in the background was like being in Hell wrestling with a demon. Poor Benny. He's had a rough time this season. I hope he doesn't bleed out (cuz we know Jackson understands about transfusions!). But even if he survives, his life is a shipwreck. His story became the tragic hinge this season rather than Reid.

I also like that Jackson took more of a center stage role. His devotion to Susan is touching, even though they are both incredibly stupid to hang around Whitechapel after her "resurrection." He is the only person who seems to be really thinking of what's best for that kid. Everybody else is trying to use him to prove something to themselves or someone else.

I'm very disappointed with the direction they've gone with Rose. I know it was too much to expect a happy ending, but it seems like such a cliche,  her mental disintegration. Handy. Kinda like retconning Mrs. Reid's fate. Maybe the actress just wasn't up to it, or maybe there were important scenes cut out. I also am flummoxed by her so-called friendship with Dove. Knew each other at school? When did she go to school? I thought he was a penniless orphan from eastern Europe tagging along with the immigrant Russian Jews. (And how was it he became commissioner of police?)

Also very meh developments for Susan. I know 3 years of prison life, and being executed and dumped into a mass grave would be a bit traumatic, but she has lost her common sense. I do not understand why she and Jackson didn't just leave. Owing someone money? When did that ever stop anybody? At the very least, she should have dyed her hair. She sticks out like a sore thumb.

I know it must be hard to find ways to keep strong females interesting and relevant in a 19th century story, but here we go with the spunky female journalist again. They had one on "Hell on Wheels" too. "Ripper Street" really works hard to keep it real with the times; it's one of the reasons this show is a cut above all the rest, but in this regard it really does give an inaccurate picture. Female politicians, female doctors, female directors of orphanages -- all of these would have been men. Any woman in any kind of leadership role or in public life would be an anomaly.

Speaking of Miss Goren, she and Reid belong together.

I do appreciate that they're trying to do something interesting with Matilda, though I wish it was more than boyfriend issues. Although she still has a slightly creepy vibe, she is developing into her father's daughter: curious, unafraid, ready to do what needs to be done. I could see *her* deciding to become a doctor, tagging around after Jackson learning how to read blood spatter.

I think they were going for a Dexter Morgan backstory with Nathaniel and Dove.

Also I kept thinking of Cain and Abel, especially cuz Abel Coker's name was Abel, and we had 2 brothers there. Something Biblical going on there. Why was Abel taking care of Nathaniel?

I expected Swift's jail cell to be empty. THAT would have been an interesting twist.

Season 3 wrapped up with such a tidy ending for everybody, in a way I wish it had ended there. I was almost afraid to watch Season 4. But in spite of some problems, overall it was another really compelling, really well done continuation of this story.

I also want to say how much I have enjoyed reading your impressions, weyrbunny. Thank you for sharing them!

• Love 1

I loved this episode - even though I also expected an 8th episode for the season!  I need to rewatch simply for the language. For example, the last dialogue between Susan and Edmund -- the amazing ways these individuals expressed themselves -- is so different from modern TV shows, and yet it's neither overbearing nor stilted. 

BTW, we can change that "unaired USA" label: It aired on BBCAmerica last week.

So this was the last episode?  I had no clue.  I half expected another episode to pop us telling us what happened to Drake.  Damn you BBC America and your poor promotion/scheduling.

17 hours ago, BK1978 said:

So this was the last episode?  I had no clue.  I half expected another episode to pop us telling us what happened to Drake.  Damn you BBC America and your poor promotion/scheduling.

Season 5, which will be the last, will probably air in the US next year. All the episodes are being released at once on Amazon UK in a few weeks.

As far as a Drake...

Spoiler

Judging from the promos, he's dead. :(

Since I gave up my satellite service in May I had to buy this from Amazon, and finally got time to watch it this weekend. I had just about forgiven Rose for jerking Drake around for the first 2 seasons, and then she had to go all Mary Beth Whitehead about Susan's little boy, and now I hate her again.

I wish US Amazon would hurry up and release Season 5 so I can see how it ends.

Whoa! I wasn't expecting a cliffhanger and a major death. This was a tough season to get through. Drake was my favorite character and just got really worn down as the season went on. I have no idea what's going to happen next since they're all essentially fugitives until they expose the brothers.