Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Moo Shu to Go

Here's the official episode description:

Tensions escalate between Alec and Clary as they don't see eye to eye on the best way to hunt down Valentine. But when Jace and Isabelle are sent on an intel mission to see the Seelies by Maryse Lightwood [yay, Maryse!], Alec is put in charge of keeping Clary safe, much to both of their chagrin. With his hard-as-nails mother back in town and Clary's rule-breaking tendencies, Alec finds himself struggling to stick to the Claves rules while keeping his promise to Jace. Meanwhile, the New York City Were pack begins their hunt for Clary and The Mortal Cup.

This continues to improve week by week. I'm finding the actress playing Isabelle is improving quickly, while Clary remains the weak link. Overall, I'm beginning to think I can stick with it.

Agreed, this episode and the last one were both huge improvements! I did think the actress who played Clary was marginally less grating this week, but maybe that's because her dialogue was written a little better. She's definitely still the worst of the bunch, though.

What little we got of Harry Shum Jr. this week was wonderful. I didn't start watching the show for him, but he's the highlight of each episode for me. I can't wait to see more of him next week!

Jace was a total dick in this episode. I haven't felt all that sorry for Alec until this week, but Jace was rough on him. I guess I should just be grateful that he's developed a personality since the first few episodes, because even though he was a douche, at least I had a reaction to him at all. Watching him and Clary interact is still worse than watching paint dry, though, so I'm glad there wasn't much of that tonight.

I really dislike the speed effects they do, they're too blurry. I can't help but compare to the Vampire Diaries effects, which work much better in my opinion.

I thought this episode was good, if a little slow.

Jace was being way too obnoxious, he needs to dial it down. I liked Izzy bonding with Clary and asking her about her mum. What's up with Simon? He has some vampire powers, but he's not a vampire. Yet. Is he slowly turning? Wouldn't Raphael or Camille know this is happening?

I'm pretty sure the Vampire Diaries super speed is a mostly practical effect, which is why it looks better. They just film normal motion and play it super fast with a very slight blur of the motion.

Everything on this show looks cheap and like the person hired to do it got the Shadowhunters job one second after they graduated or learned the technique. The effects look like person in charge just learned how use the software. The fights look like the stunt coordinator only took a stage fighting class. The props look cheap. And every set that isn't a location looks awful. When Clary and Alec were sparring, I kept thinking that the stained glass windows looked like something out of a high school play.

That said, the writing and acting are slowly improving. Last week I had wondered if the show was going with Alec not realizing that he's gay. I guess that's where this is going. I think it's funny how giggly he gets with Magnus without any understanding as to why.

• Love 1

That said, the writing and acting are slowly improving. Last week I had wondered if the show was going with Alec not realizing that he's gay. I guess that's where this is going. I think it's funny how giggly he gets with Magnus without any understanding as to why.

I'm pretty sure Alec knows that he's gay; he's just still in denial, not ready to acknowledge it, even to himself.

Alec and Clary are my favorite relationship on this show and I have no idea why. I want more scenes of them.

Jace should shut up if Coary would have stayed at the lair(or whatever they call it)and listened to Alec then her and Simon wouldn't have gotten kidnapped. Jace owes Alec an apology and to tell Clary that her mom and her lives are not the only ones in danger.

And Alec is my fav he's gorgeous, funny and cute. I had a big smile on my face when Magnus called and asked him for drinks Alec was adorable in that scene.

So Mama Lightwood is a piece of work but I really hated Jace this episode, Clary's hair looks a colour that might just exist in nature now so she came off better by comparison.

Alec was great as always, but I really love the layers they're adding to Isabelle.

Luke is finally in the show and hopefully will be a far better character for it.

Next week look to be a bit more Magnus heavy and I can't wait.

Wow Jace. In an episode that included Mama Lightwood and a pack of dogs (well werewolves) you were still the biggest bitch. When he actually went there with Alec about his Mother, I actually said, " Oh Hell No!" And Isabelle just stood there and told them both to stop. No, she should have told Jace, "Back it up Peroxide. Just because you've got blue balls for Little Miss Copper Hair doesn't mean you can talk to him like that!" I guess when you think with your little Stele, Parabati goes out the window.

Edited by Jazz42
  • Love 1

Far too little Magnus,  He is the most charismatic actor on this show by far. Although I have high hopes for Luke being able to come back from the blandness they have written for him...he is the Old Spice guy for pete sake! I am curious as to why the wolves were so passive when their new alpha was dying- they kind of just let the hunters take him away,

It might not be popular but Simon and Izzy are really the only "main" characters I have connected with.  The other 3 are just so meh to me.  Alec is still dickish to me- sorry your crush likes someone else. Jace is not nearly charming enough to be the GOAT they are painting him to be, and Clary is just kind of there.  I think she might be to breathy or something.  She does have moments when I really like her- but no such luck on the other 2 for me yet.

If all of the other hunters are like Mrs. Lightwood- no wonder the other down-worlders think Shadowhunters suck.   Diplomacy matters!