Type keyword(s) to search

The Fabulous Fan Art Of Ice And Fire

• Start Topic

GRRM's work has inspired some amazing fantasy fan art.  This is a place to display your favorites.

RE SPOILERS:  If, for example, you post a link to a drawing of a character being killed, and that character is still alive in the show, clearly indicate that clicking the link would be a spoiler.  I think this will be pretty rare, since the vast bulk of fan art was created early on.

Among my favorites are these incredibly detailed pictorial maps by artist J. E. Fullerton.  The detail and the work that went into these is pretty mind-boggling. The artist is Thomas Olivri, a French copywriter.  He created all these maps entirely in Microsoft Paint.

SPOILER only in that non-book readers will see a gazillion place names and sigils they've never heard of, and probably never will.

http://www.geek-art.net/j-e-fullerton-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-illustrated-maps/

(edited)

Beautiful Death is a set of episode-to-episode illustrations of deaths on Game of Thrones. Not all of them are actually depictions of deaths, since a very few eps like I think 1.03, don't have any onscreen killing. My favorites are the more symbolic representations, like this one for the Red Wedding.

tumblr_n3cw871t6j1tuzdqso1_500.jpg

In March there was an ASOIAF themed art show in Seattle, presented by GRRM. Prints from the various artists are online here. A few are of plot points not yet covered by the show, but there's not enough info to even know what they're spoiling.  

Edited by Lady S.

I make custom figures and mostly busts these days. It's a hobby and I can only do it at the weekends as I'm away from home working all week. I started with a Buffy obsession, but these days it's all about Game of Thrones.

I was a long-time lurker at TWOP but I followed everyone else here. After watching a new episode of GoT in the UK on a Monday, I loved reading all the comments at TWOP and PrevouslyTV to see what people thought. It really added to my enjoyment of the episode. I can't wait for Season 5!

Anyway, I thought I'd share some of my fan art with you. Not for sale. I'm lucky enough to have a patron in Wales who snaps them up as soon as I make them. And he gives me free rein to make anything I'm inspired to attempt, so I get to make even the less popular characters.

These are mostly large busts 6" tall. I used the heads from Sideshow or Hot Toys dolls and casts for the torsos and bust bases. Some of the likenesses were easy, as I had either professionally made heads (like Boromir for Ned) or well done customs heads (like Ada's Sarah Connor for Cersei). For many of the others I did a lot of alterations to the faces myself. For example, I used Spartacus for Jaime. The hair and clothes are all sculpted with super sculpey. Then I paint them with normal artist acrylics.

got-trio1.jpg

For these, I used Sweeny Todd, Baby Doll, and Brad Pitt (squashed flatter!) respectively, with many alterations to the features with clay.

got-trio3.jpg

I used a custom Paul Winfield head for Robert. Tyrion was another excellent custom head from Ada (Wanted Action Figure). I only have to alter the nose a bit. 

got-group5.jpg

I used a custom Madonna head for Catelyn.

got-group8.jpg

I used Chloe Moretz for Gilly, Sweeny Todd (the same as for Jon!) for Sam, Amanda Seyried (Hee!) for Bran, and a cast of Tonks for Osha.

got-group11.jpg

I'll post a few more later, if these are of interest to you. I don't want to hog the thread.

Thanks! Sasha (MsBig)

• Love 4

As promised, here are a few more 6" busts I made for GoT.

Again, for all of them, I sculpted the hair and clothes from scratch and modified existing 1:6 scale doll heads (from Sideshow/Hot Toys, etc) where necessary.

I used a DID German soldier for Littlefinger, with altered ears and nose. The Ada-made Sarah Connor head again for Cersei, with altered forehead. I used the Chloe Moretz head for Margaery (the same as I used for Gilly) with altered nose and lips.

got-group18.jpg

I used the same TrueType head for both Renly and Jaqen. For Renly, I altered the nose and forehead. For Jaqen, the nose, lips, cheekbones, and forehead.

got-group20.jpg

Example parts and unpainted sculpts. The white/yellow bits are casts of existing heads and busts. The pink parts are super sculpey clay. This goes on soft like plasticine, then you shape it, and boil or bake for 3 minutes to harden.

2-3-margaery-d.jpg

2-3-renly-d.jpg

2-5-jaqen-d.jpg

Again, I used Baby Doll for Sansa, with an altered nose and lower lip, and the Ada-sculpted head for Tyrion, with only the nose and hair modified a little. For Olenna, I used a Buffy face as a base but just resculpted the whole face.

got-group22.jpg

I used a Joaquin Phoenix head for Ramsay, with altered his eyebrows, nose, ears, jaw, and chin. A custom Brad Pitt head for Theon, where I flattened his face, and reshaped his eyes, nose, mouth, and chin (this was the same face I used for Robb). I used Vladimir Putin for Roose, which seemed a no-brainer, but I found I did have to alter his forehead, ears, nose, cheeks, and chin.

got-group25.jpg

I've still been lurking at Previously TV to enjoy comments on episodes. I've been avoiding recently because I don't want to get spoiled for Season 7.

I hadn't realised it was so long since I'd posted photos of my Game of Thrones custom figure work. I'm adding them now in the order I made them during 2015 and 2016. Some were commissions, others sold already, a few still on eBay.

The art of customising is to take parts from existing figures, then adapt them with body part swaps, resculpting, and full repainting. I've used mostly the official Dark Horse figure, mixed in with parts from other lines, like McFarlane and NECA. I only make one-of-a-kind items. I can't do copies of my previous work... my muse just won't let me.

May - June 2015

2-1-mel-a.jpg

5-3-tyrion-e.jpg

July - August 2015

got-group30.jpg

got-group29.jpg

5-9-jaime-a.jpg

September - December 2015

got-group31.jpg

They're marvellous! The details are fantastic. I particularly love the Sansa one in the snow and with the wolves and hobo Jaime and Brienne up against the bear. All the Halloween ones were gloriously disturbing and the one with Hodor, fantastic! They're so good.