Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

The only way I see season 2 happening is if the hypotheses about the FBI agent being corrupt or a fraud are true. However, this premise reminds me so much of Revenge which I thought would have worked best as a mini-series rather than a regular series.

I don't think Harlee's daughter is Ray's. Actually, I was wondering why Harlee is concerned about who will take care of her daughter when a) Ray's character would do it for her especially if he knows about the blackmail and b) the daughter is almost grown.

Any good mother would worry who will take care of her 16 year old daughter if she goes to prison. She has no family and would end up in foster care. Her daughter would be traumatized that her mother was a corrupt cop and could spiral out of control. Besides I cannot imagine Ray risking getting tainted and taking in Harlee's daughter. She wouldn't trust her daughter with him anyway. He and his team would likely be taken down next anyway.

Edited by SimoneS

I want to like this but the direction is awful, even for a network show. So cheesy, clunky and obvious with no visual style whatsoever. It's like a bad '80s movie without the shoulder pads and big hair. I like JLo and love Liotta and Matteo but they deserve so much better.

Edited by numbnut

I agree with whoever said that the rookie is probably not going to make it out of this season alive. It's unfortunate because he made a mistake and then got roped into the whole thing, but yeah, it'll surprise me if he survives.

At first I was thinking that Woz found out about the informant way too early, but then I remembered that the opening scene, with Harlee recording what looks like a confession, takes place only 2 weeks after the initial drug-bust-gone-wrong. I'm guess this season is only going to cover those 2 weeks, which seems like just the right amount of time for Woz to get suspicious, investigate, and find the informant (whether it's Harlee or he becomes convinced it's someone else).

I enjoyed the pilot. JLo and Liotta are great, and so far, they're standouts in the midst of a shaky premise. 

Are cops really that corrupt, where they sit around and divvy up pay-offs from local businesses and crime lords? That portion seemed a little TV-ish, but I could be wrong. 

And I agree with Harlee that the rookie made a terrible mistake when he shot the gamer, but it didn't matter that the guy was a Little League coach because he was also a drug dealer who carried an illegal gun. 

And I can't tell if Harlee's FBI is creepy or if he and JLo have unspoken chemistry. I'll be tuning in next week. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

I watched this, it's not great, but Jennifer Lopez always holds my interest when she's on screen. I won't shell out any money to see her on the big screen, but I'll watch her movies once they are on cable and I'm always entertained. She's played a cop a few time in her acting career so I knew that she'd be believable.

Do we have any shows where the female lead detective is a dirty cop? I don't think so, so that's different.

We've got Olivia Benson who is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Off of the top of my head I think CSI: New York had a detective/CSI falsify evidence before she was replaced and Criminal Minds changed up their staff once with an agent murdering someone who they couldn't make a case against.. The best one would be Sergeant Martiza Cruz on Third Watch who was dirty but TPTB liked her and retconned her into doing something like JLo's character was doing for the FBI and brought her back until Third Watch less resembled Emergency with the cops having a bigger role to The Shield which met broadcast and not cable TV standards and practices.

• Love 1

Not great, but I actually enjoyed it more then I figured I would.  It did feel like they borrowed a lot from the typical corrupt law enforcement work like The Shield and whatnot, but I guess it worked for me.  Not a massive fan of Jennifer Lopez (although, I will always have fondness over her starring in my favorite guilty pleasure ever, Anaconda), but I thought she handled the role fine.  I guess she is one of those people who has natural charisma and carries herself in the right way, that it makes up for some of the choices that I didn't think worked.  And, well, it helps that she is still gorgeous.  They definitely went all out with the boobage, but hey, she really does have a great body.

Ray Liotta was having a ball and I think he'll end up being the character I like best.  Always great to see Warren Kole (still was one of the highlights of The Following a.k.a. one of the dumbest shows ever.)  Drea de Matteo didn't do much, but I have to think there will be more to her.  Cool to see Thresh from the first Hunger Games film as the rookie cop.  And J.Lo's daughter is totally Amy from Wayward Pines!  Ha!

I do wonder how they will go forward with this type of show.  Considering all the real life incidents going on right now, it does feel kind of weird that we're suppose to sympathize with a corrupt cop.  I mean, I guess her reasons are better then most, but she is clearly doing some shady shit.  Had this been on FX or something, I could see the show being willing to keep this hard edge, but I wonder if they'll try to find some way to make her the victim against the Evil FBI and whatnot.

• Love 1

I kinda enjoyed the episode but I have a feeling the ratings are going to take a plunge once 'How to Get Away With Murder' is back.  Jennifer Lopez is gorgeous but she's not that great an actor....and it showed.  She had a couple of good scenes but... 

I don't see how they're going to build a series out her being an informant.  

I kinda enjoyed the episode but I have a feeling the ratings are going to take a plunge once 'How to Get Away With Murder' is back.  Jennifer Lopez is gorgeous but she's not that great an actor....and it showed.  She had a couple of good scenes but... 

I figure it will be like Chicago PD, The SHIELD or Third Watch and they will massage some political reason that Ray Liotta's squad keeps the peace and makes them untouchable for the relatively low level of graft the FBI already has on them. With every sweeps and mid season ending cliff hanger has them getting close to the mass arrest until "something suddenly comes up"

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

I kinda enjoyed the episode but I have a feeling the ratings are going to take a plunge once 'How to Get Away With Murder' is back. Jennifer Lopez is gorgeous but she's not that great an actor....and it showed. She had a couple of good scenes but...

This is why it was smart that NBC started airing this immediately. Five episodes will have aired by the time HTGAWM returns. I've heard the episodes of Shades of Blue become more riveting as it progresses.
  • Love 2

I kinda enjoyed the episode but I have a feeling the ratings are going to take a plunge once 'How to Get Away With Murder' is back. 

Yeah, that's my worry too (and I love HTGAWM). Thursdays at 10 are kind of the death slot until that show either goes off the rails or off the air.

• Love 1

; it tries too hard from the get with Harlee's goofy line about lilies being "bisexual," which is both semantically inaccurate and way too look-Ma-it's-ten-pee-em

That line was SO bad I almost gave up right away - but Mr Rat wanted to watch so I stuck it out.  Watched this and the second episode.  It's better than I thought it was going to be and I don't have the problem with JLo that some do - she's OK and she's surrounded by much better actors, so there's that.  Ray Liotta! Drea de Matteo!

Actually my major peeve so far is that I hate, hate hate the writing for Drea's character and I don't expect it to improve.  Now that would be a real waste.

But mostly it looks like they may have already painted themselves into a corner with the plotline.  Hope I'm wrong.

Also I kind of hate the title.  Bad titles can kill shows after all - look at Terriers.

Edited by ratgirlagogo