Type keyword(s) to search

Turn in the Media

Via press release, detailing filming sites for the second season, among other things. This struck me as interesting:

The series is based on the book “Washington’s Spies,” written by Alexander Rose, who joins the writing staff for season two after serving as a consultant in the first season.

I'm reading the book right now - it is very interesting. There are some definite changes from the book vs. the show. Timelines are not quite right. Simcoe is a paragraph. Anna Strong is a bare mention, whiny Woodhull is in full force (but he has a right to be and is smart to be as such). I think I mentioned before that two separate paragraphs in the book were fleshed out into an entire episode.

I never realized how much of an impact the Culper ring truly had on the Revolutionary War. It's a good read. I highly recommend.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/01/amc-revolutionary-war-drama-turn-washingtons-spies-begins-production-on-season-two-in-colonial-williamsburg/309565/

Via press release, detailing filming sites for the second season, among other things. This struck me as interesting:

The series is based on the book “Washington’s Spies,” written by Alexander Rose, who joins the writing staff for season two after serving as a consultant in the first season.

Oooooo, maybe that means more spy stuff and less Able-Anna angst. 

ETA: Dang double quoting got me again.

Edited by OakGoblinFly

Turn: Washington's Spies will be filming at Colonial Williamsburg locations tomorrow!  I may have to wander over sometime during the day. 

Absolutely you have to get over there! Hell yes! Maybe you'll even get to finagle a way to somehow be an extra!! Do it, do it and report back here!

Walked over to where they were set up, but nothing really happening.  CW's interpreters were out and about, so difficult to tell who was a CW employee and who were from the Turn cast.  Did hear Thomas Jefferson (CW's interpreter) reading the Declaration of Independence; always gives me goose bumps.

Edited by zoey1996

First stills of Benedict Arnold, with a pretty spoilery and extensive interview:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/12/benedict-arnold-turn/

They are definitely doing some creative interpreting and employing historical license. Hope it's worth it.

Thanks for the link; honestly, I didn't think anything written was very spoilery at all.  I am curious to see how the show interprets the relationship between Shippen and Andre and then Arnold and Shippen.  I do rather like the idea of showing Arnold first as the hero he was and then his rode toward traitor. 

http://www.craveonline.com/tv/previews/819099-exclusive-video-turn-washingtons-spies-season-1-blu-ray

It appears from this that they did record some new commentary for the DVD, out March 17. I'd thought it might just be taken from the extra features on the AMC site. Netflix, also, happens the end of March.

Rumor has it that the show will be airing Mondays, beginning mid-April. With filming wrapping up, promotional material can't be far behind. Would love to speculate about the direction of things, based on twitter blurbs from the cast and casting calls, etc., in addition to new footage and pics. So, hopefully, we'll get some new threads going soon.

http://www.amctv.com/videos/trailer-first-american-spy-turn-washingtons-spies-season-2-premiere

I think this 30 seconds is more interesting than anything that happened last season. Even if it is Abe centric.

Yup.  Please, more action & less of Abe's fictional love life.  

However, he was not "First American Spy Behind Enemy Lines."  There was Nathan Hale--whose sad end I still wish we'd seen. He was a college friend of Benjamin Tallmadge, Robert Rodgers caught him in some versions of his rather undocumented tale & the sad end of a brave, dashing fellow who was just not cut out for undercover work is relevant to another character's eventual fate. Just being a Spy Behind Enemy Lines is dangerous enough--& a Long Island farmer is actually less noticeable than the more dashing types.... .   

But there were other "information gatherers" even at the beginning of the Revolution--who did not hang!  And the Culper group did not start as early as we've been shown.  Washington ran quite a bit of intelligence. 

Yes, I'm one of those people who quibbles about historical details.  But I've mostly come to accept Turn's Alternate AmRev.  Some things were done just right (George Washington!) & other bits (like the 3 Main Redcoats) are so entertaining that I'll just sit back & watch.  

Besides, in the upcoming season we can always fall back on: Better Than Sons of Liberty!

http://www.amctv.com/shows/turn/cast

Not sure where else to post this until season 2 threads open, but there are new character descriptions up on the AMC site. Clicking through, they briefly recount the characters' histories and, in some cases, vaguely discuss story lines for season 2. We even have a new one in Robert Townsend. There's nothing overly detailed or unexpected, but this info in Caleb's description had me wondering if I'd missed something:

"Normally a man who relishes action, Caleb had advised Ben to wait before rushing headlong into battle and now harbors resentment towards him for his rash decision."

Was this in a deleted scene? Maybe it's just a misinterpretation of their different approaches. If anything, Caleb seemed angered by Ben's hesitance if I remember rightly. It would make more sense for Caleb to be angry about Ben putting off killing Simcoe in the early episodes, or refusing to attack Setauket in the pre-dawn and allowing the young boy to get away and warn Hewlett.

Edited by Kabota

I don't know if this has been mentioned but the new season of Turn begins on Monday the 13th.

Thanks for telling us! Wow. Last season, the show aired on Sunday's at 9;00 pm. It was the Walking Dead replacement, and I was sure that this year would be Sunday too, but just looked it up, and yes, it starts Monday the 13th.

Sometimes the Canadian feed is one day prior to the US airing, but no, the show moved to Monday.

On my AMC, they are rerunning the entire season of TURN on Monday the 13th, starting at 10:30 am, so if anyone wants a rewatch, there you go.

The Season 2 premiere episode is 2 hours long and starts at 9:00 pm. My DVR is going to be getting a workout. I'm very excited!!

Thanks for telling us! Wow. Last season, the show aired on Sunday's at 9;00 pm. It was the Walking Dead replacement, and I was sure that this year would be Sunday too, but just looked it up, and yes, it starts Monday the 13th.

Sometimes the Canadian feed is one day prior to the US airing, but no, the show moved to Monday.

On my AMC, they are rerunning the entire season of TURN on Monday the 13th, starting at 10:30 am, so if anyone wants a rewatch, there you go.

The Season 2 premiere episode is 2 hours long and starts at 9:00 pm. My DVR is going to be getting a workout. I'm very excited!!

Thank You for starting the new thread. I'm new to the site and I didn't see any episode threads from last year - so I was wondering if anyone watched this show. Now we just have to wait another week.

As far as romance is concerned, I guess that there will continue to be SOME.

Thank You for starting the new thread. I'm new to the site and I didn't see any episode threads from last year - so I was wondering if anyone watched this show. Now we just have to wait another week.

John S, the episode threads have been grouped together in a subfolder called S01. If you go to the main listing of threads for TURN, and look at the top, you'll see a Past Seasons folder, then below it, a S01. Click on S01 - that's where all of the season 1 episode threads are.

Also, noticed that we don't have any threads to discuss the show itself, so I created them!!

One is for unspoilered discussion --> Turn Speculation: Intelligence in America

One if for spoiled discussion --> Spoilers and Speculation: Smithy Sailor Soldier Spy.

Please keep the media thread for just that - posting media articles, promos and clips. Thanks!

(edited)

As far as romance is concerned, I guess that there will continue to be SOME.

Well, there is the one between Peggy, John Andre and later Peggy and Benedict Arnold (historically accurate)...... let's just keep the love-triangle-of-doom (Abe-Anna-Mary) out of it (not historically accurate and very annoying).

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 1

Well, there is the one between Peggy, John Andre and later Peggy and Benedict Arnold (historically accurate)...... let's just keep the love-triangle-of-doom (Abe-Anna-Mary) out of it (not historically accurate and very annoying).

If they cast Winona Ryder, who made an awesome Peggy in Drunk History, I will personally force every single person I know to watch!

(edited)

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-revolution-will-get-spooky-1428617076

Appears to be the first, mostly spoiler free (although not completely), review of the premiere week's episodes. It's positive:

With those basics in mind, newcomers to the series—which returns Monday with a two-hour premiere—can just let the pleasures of this handsome and well acted period piece wash over them.

Still, this is TV entertainment. So while “Turn” draws on the 2006 book “Washington’s Spies: The Story of America’s First Spy Ring” by historian Alexander Rose, and most of characters are based on real figures, the series takes liberties of invention and amalgamation...Does it matter? The real spies of the Culper Ring lived in dangerous times. When “Turn” makes us feel that danger, it‘s a kind of thrill to be remotely associated with it.

eta: Sometimes it links cleanly through. At others, it asks you to sign in unfortunately. Edited by Kabota

A few more early reviews. General opinion comes back to the show being slow, but beautiful. That results in a "meh" for Variety, but the other two find those qualities a good thing...especially in comparison to Sons of Liberty, lol.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/reviews/turn-washingtons-spies-season-2-review-amc-1201468169/

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20150411_Spies_like_us__entertaining_American_Revoution_espionage_tale_returns.html

http://m.news-journalonline.com/article/20150410/UNKNOWN/150419989/-1/TOPIC0208?Title=-x2018-Turn-x2019-is-languid-beautiful-

Edited by Kabota

I know it's a bit late, but AMC (well, my AMC) is running all of season 1 in order today, starting at 10:30 am, up until the new episode starts tonight at 9:00 pm. So if there are episode you have missed, or want to watch the final episode before the season 2 premiere - the show is marathoning today.

Double-posting....

This breaks my heart...ratings are not too good...I guess Monday's at 10;00 pm isn't a good time slot for TURN.

Season 1, averages over one million viewers. It was on at Sunday's at 9:00 pm.

This season, it's averaging around 0.8 million viewers in total after adjustments.

Ugh - it's such a good show, great actors, etc. *puts on snob hat* yet reality shows get tons of ratings. Ugh.

• Love 1

I think the plus 7 ratings will be the key factor. They're only available through 4/12/15 as of right now, but, yeah, those adjusted numbers are not encouraging. It would be so disappointing not to see some of these stories play out completely, particularly with such a perfectly cast ensemble, but that would take a third season.

• Love 1

I know I have to "time shift" watch this show ---- when one gets up before the sun, one simply cannot stay up to watch something ending at 11:00 PM and expect to be functional in the morning.

I do think most shows do factor in the shift/plus numbers as viewing habits have changed.

It also wouldn't kill them to give out some more promotion.

AMC has done a terrible job promoting. Marathons on Memorial Day weekend and Mondays? Bus stop posters? And I think the ads they run all the time on their own time are awful with the voice over and the block type font. They give the impression it's a cheesy documentary.

AMC has done a terrible job promoting. Marathons on Memorial Day weekend and Mondays? Bus stop posters? And I think the ads they run all the time on their own time are awful with the voice over and the block type font. They give the impression it's a cheesy documentary.

I did see a TURN: Washington's Spies poster (the one with Jamie Bell waving the flag) at a Metro stop, then again, I am in the Washington DC area and there is a local connection. 

I think what hurts AMC is the lack of cross channel promotion (e.g. Syfy advertising on NBC and USA since they're all owned by same parent company).

• Love 1

They need cast interviews. I know Jamie Bell has done a few right before the season started but I think he was really there promoting something else. Fantastic Four, maybe? Turn was kind of an afterthought.

I know these people aren't household names but they seem charming and interesting and could hold their own in that type of setting.

Edited by Iboatedhere

Thanks Kabota.

As an NSDAR member (http://blogs.amctv.com/turn/photo-galleries/turn-dar-media-entertainment-award-ceremony/#/0) not to mention DC area resident, I hear no shortage of buzz about the show. NSDAR friends actually reminded me when it was coming back, not AMC.

I don't know that AMC would ever expect gangbuster ratings out of this or that they set the threshold high, but with how AMC is presently promoting it, i.e. not much & not well, & how AMC is slotting it, i.e. not well IMO/it has a case of the Mondays, I would hope AMC would look at the very strong & appealing cast & overall quality of the show & make an effort to really push it & move it before pulling the plug on the series. Mad Men on its way out, AMC needs another prestige show. After a bumpy first season, the show appears to be hitting its stride.

Edited by ComeWhatMay
  • Love 1

Jamie Bell was on MSNBC which gets basement ratings. Why isn't he on Fox News or something? You'd think TURN would be popular with the tri-corner hat protestor crowd.

• Love 1

Jamie Bell was on MSNBC which gets basement ratings. Why isn't he on Fox News or something? You'd think TURN would be popular with the tri-corner hat protestor crowd.

Maybe he'll mention TURN when he does the press tour for Fantastic Four.