Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Blast from the Past

Lisin
  • Start Topic

From IMDB: "Despite the fact that she dislikes Jackie, Veronica helps her find out who stole her credit card by going on a local psychic TV show. Meanwhile, Wallace's world is turned upside-down when his real father returns home, and Veronica gets a huge piece of new evidence in the bus case."

UGH! This episode! Just when you think Jackie is turning things around she snakes Veronica in such an awful way. I'm glad Wallace reacts the way he does, but I still feel like Jackie got off light. Veronica didn't do anything to deserve that bullshit.

On the Wallace front this episode is so heartbreaking and awful. His mom is the worst. I don't care that she thought he was protecting him. This was just wrong.

Edited by Lisin

What I like about Jackie screwing up is that you start to realize exactly how screwed up she herself is.  What she does to Veronica sucks, but it's also not entirely her fault that the psychic preys upon Veronica's semi-famous self to up the drama on her cable-access show.  

What's interesting for me as a viewer this time around is how much more accepting I am of how everyone acts in this episode.  I understand Veronica's anger, and I understand Wallace's frustration with her need for constant vengeance, and I even understand Jackie's hackles being raised by how possessive Veronica is of Wallace (and Logan, and whoever else).  

Also, I'm not sure what they did to Tessa Thompson's eyes in the scene at the dance, but holy geeze, are they ever glazed over.  It was a nice touch to illustrate how totally lost she is as a character.

• Love 2

I agree that Jackie is clearly damaged and I like that we start to see that here, but her preying on the fact that Veronica's best friend was murdered? So low. Lower than Veronica would have gone I think. I mean initially.

I do like that the show lets us know that while Veronica is our heroine she's not perfect and this episode is a good example of that. Wallace going off about how he's always HER sidekick and he just needs her to be his friend is a good point. She's his "best friend" but do they really ever do anything together other than have him help her on her cases? Not so much. 

• Love 2

Well, I think it's implied that they do things together besides work on cases. We just don't see the more prosaic moments in Veronica's life. I like when Wallace is over at Veronica's house and vice versa because in those scenes you really get a sense of how comfortable they are together. The scene where V tells W about the rape in S1 is one of my favorites because it shows the depth of their bond that she knows Wallace will be there for her in exactly the right way. She is usually the one in need though, Wallace is right about that, and I'm glad he calls her on that here. It's just that Veronica's form of love means protecting her people from any threat, even if they don't want the protection. (Logan does this too.)

Anyway, Wallace is my second favorite character on a show full of great ones (V is #1), and their friendship makes me so happy. So this part of the series bums me out.

• Love 3

I agree that Jackie is clearly damaged and I like that we start to see that here, but her preying on the fact that Veronica's best friend was murdered? So low. Lower than Veronica would have gone I think. I mean initially.

I always assumed that Jackie was telling the truth to Wallace and she only fed the psychic the Mammomax stuff, not the stuff about Lilly.  

I always assumed that Jackie was telling the truth to Wallace and she only fed the psychic the Mammomax stuff, not the stuff about Lilly.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Going to Lilly is stooping real low. But: so the psychic stole her credit card, but Jackie just gives up on revenging on her and tries to punk Veronica instead? I guess it makes sense that she'd care more about her jealousy/rivalry there than someone who just took money (and fake credit card money, no less), but it's still a little surprising to say "hey, person who just scammed me? here's a way to get back at the person who helped me catch you!"

Veronica is kind of awful to Wallace here, too. She's not really supportive of him during this huge crisis in his life...because she's helping Jackie catch a credit card thief? What else's she got that's more important than that? I do think overall that she's a pretty good friend, though. The spirit boxes thing from last season was adorable, and there's a few other things like that.

• Love 2

So did Jackie's credit card really get stolen, or did she just create the list of bogus charges and run a con on Veronica?  I hope Wallace really sees how mean she is, though I suppose it might be a while if he's off with his bio-dad.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2014 at 9:51 AM, Lisin said:

I do like that the show lets us know that while Veronica is our heroine she's not perfect and this episode is a good example of that. Wallace going off about how he's always HER sidekick and he just needs her to be his friend is a good point. She's his "best friend" but do they really ever do anything together other than have him help her on her cases? Not so much. 

In the first season Veronica Is getting good grades, working as a receptionist at Mars Investigations, Doing stakeouts and then investigating Lilly's death, looking for Mom and doing side jobs at school for money. She is also undergoing a lot of Logan related stress.  In the second season Veronica is still doing the side jobs for money, investigating the bus crash, undergoing a lot of Logan related stress, and working at the coffee shop, and doing valedictory work at school, while preparing for Aaron's trial. Plus cleaning, cooking rubber bullets, and taking care of the dog. Also presumably applying for college, scholarships and grants, etc.

When does she have time to spend with friends, or surf, or do anything else, really? It is amazing she can get away, any of the seasons, for a movie and a snuggle at the grand. I bet she relishes a calm, relaxed couple of hours with Duncan.

I think that, annoying as this is, Wallace eventually realizes this.

I’m rewatching this after watching for the first time a few years ago, but I feel like the eps on Hulu are edited and not the original version. When I watched this ep, they never announced Homecoming King and Queen but I could have sworn Duncan was crowned King. Unless I’m confusing it with another ep?