Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Last Chimera

Shirtless hunk shenanigans to ensue

Well I only saw Scott and Parrish shirtless, but wow that shower scene with Parrish was hot!! Damn, Ryan Kellys abs are awesome!! I would love to be the person who gets to rub the sooty ash makeup on that body. I'm really hoping that this half we'll finally get to see Styles sans shirt, but I'm not betting on it.

But as usual Dylan was the best reason to watch. I'm just glad it appears that Scott and Styles are slowly getting back their friendship. But they really need to have a long talk about Theo.

Lydia's mom.......seems to be under some mind control cause they're no way she'd be sending Lydia to that nuthouse if she was in her right mind.

wow we actually saw somebody else working at the hospital. Milissa does need to get this guy up to what's really going on in Beacon Hills or else he's a goner.

I'm really hoping Kira's back soon. I'm getting the feeling that she's one of the keys to beating The Dread Docs and their new creation.

Edited by madhacker

Man, I missed this show!

I like that Stiles is mad at Scott, it feels real. But Stiles and his dad was too heartbreaking for words.

So Theo let his sister die when he was 10 to get her heart? Damn. Did he actually need a heart transplant or was it just to become a chimera? I didn't quite get that.

I hope next week starts with Parish vs Theo's pack. Where was Hayden though? She wasn't with them at Eichen House. Is she not part of the pack?

The doctor said Theo had no history of heart trouble, so it must have just been for chimera-dom. That was a good/horrifying wrap up of that earlier bit of Theo history!

I enjoyed this ep! It's hamstrung by the stupid DDs/chimeras plot of the season, but it was more satisfying than most recent ones. My only issue was that JD's basic white boy casting meant that I often couldn't tell who I was looked not at for a few beats.

Quick Q: Were Scott's eyes flashing gold, not red, in the beginning when he was staggering in the hallway?

Favorite things:

- Stiles, Sheriff, and Stiles&Sheriff. That Stiles kept hearing his father's voice from his mother's funeral was heartbreaking in the best way.

- CHRIS!

- Lydia may be catatonic with a hole in her head, but she's still a badass, figuring Theo's shit out and warning Parrish. I hate to say it, but I think this Eichen doctor is actually being helpful. (Where the hell was he during Brunski's reign of terror?)

- Mason's respect for library books endears me to him even more. Liam I could take or leave, but I do love Mason.

- Dr. Hot Stepdad finally reappeared!

• Love 1

Favorite things:

- Stiles, Sheriff, and Stiles&Sheriff. That Stiles kept hearing his father's voice from his mother's funeral was heartbreaking in the best way.

- CHRIS!

- Lydia may be catatonic with a hole in her head, but she's still a badass, figuring Theo's shit out and warning Parrish. I hate to say it, but I think this Eichen doctor is actually being helpful. (Where the hell was he during Brunski's reign of terror?)

- Mason's respect for library books endears me to him even more. Liam I could take or leave, but I do love Mason.

- Dr. Hot Stepdad finally reappeared!

Yes to all of these. I sometimes get bothered by the fact that despite Scott/Tyler being the official show lead that Stiles/Dylan gets most of the heavy emotional stuff. But he's just so damned good at it that I can't stay bothered for long. I'll never tire of seeing a healthy, emotional, loving relationship between a father and son on television. There really isn't enough of those. The scene with Mason was EPIC. I literally yelped when Liam ripped that page and felt the utter shock and dismay that he did at the brutalization against literary goodness. I really like Mason as well. I really wish he'd been Scott's beta instead of Liam. He and his new little girlfriend make my ass itch. And yes, Papa Argent and his incredible blue eyes can visit as often as he wants. Even if the story doesn't warrant it. I miss Deaton though.

Wasn't happy Kira is still MIA but at least she's still in the credits. I think Scott's wound is more serious than the average because it came from his Beta, after all, a beta can steal an Alpha's power by force. There really just needs to be a section of every TW episode dedicated to Ryan Kelley's abs. That is all. 

When is Derek coming back? *hinthintTW*

• Love 1

I just watched the episode. I actually liked it, I wasn't sure how I would feel about it. My only complaint is I wish it stayed in the present instead of having flash-forwards, that was kind of confusing.

Anyhow I'm glad that Scott and Stiles made up right away. I loved their scenes together.  I liked the stuff with Liam and Mason too. I was a bit confused about what happened at the end when they were caught by the tree?

And yeah why does no one work at the hospital? And better yet, why don't they turn on the lights? It was all dark and creepy.

Ryan Kelley still can't act very well but he and Lydia are my favorite part of the series. Here's hoping he finds out soon that he's a hellhound. The whole sequence from dream-to-near accident-to-"you're missing and your behavior is confusing me"-to-the hospital and Natalie Martin going all fierce mom was great. The zinger with Valack at the very end added a nice touch to the story.

Apart from that, I loved the bits with Stiles and the Sheriff and Liam and Mason. I could have done without all the breakups (especially Hayden, who I find incredibly boring) but Theo continues to intrigue even though we only got a touch of backstory with his sister. The whole main "last chimera" plot dragged too much for me but I cheered to see Chris Argent return. 

My only complaint is I wish it stayed in the present instead of having flash-forwards, that was kind of confusing.

I felt like we were in three time periods, right? So, the present time, Lydia in the asylum in the near future and Lydia in the asylum in the more distant future? Because it seemed like Theo was in too many places at once for it to be two time periods.

I was also confused by the timeline, although I think a rewatch would clear it up.

As far as I can tell: the structure of the season already relies on 2 time periods (the future where Lydia is in Eichen House and the present where Lydia is just now going to Eichen House), and this episode added flashbacks (the past where Lydia was found in the woods by Parrish).

I thought the part were Parrish found her was the same time as Scott passing out in the hallway. Therefore not really a flashback but present. Or what I consider present.

Edited by blueray
I thought the part were Parrish found her was the same time as Scott passing out in the hallway. Therefore not really a flashback but present. Or what I consider present.

Which was what confused me because Theo seemed to be tracking that chimera with Hayden and suddenly he was in the psych ward with a completely different group of people and Lydia was only admitted that morning but she's already acting like she's been in there for a while.

But me being confused as to the timelines in this show is not new.

Meanwhile, this episode didn't actually capture the zeitgeist did it? Not a lot of people seem to have watched it.

Edited by AudienceofOne

Valack was an inmate/patient at the time, complete with third eye in his brain.

Yeah, Mason's reaction to Liam's ripping out the page paralleled my own.

Valack was an inmate/patient at the time, complete with third eye in his brain.

Yes, but I would imagine that with his third eye he knew what Brunski was up to and could have reported it.

The episode was better than I’d feared but then again, it had a lot of Stiles and he’s the main reason I'm still watching.

I'm amused by how much Liam/Mason are mirroring Scott/Stiles, right down to how forgettable the werewolf and his puppy love is compared to the sidekick. It shouldn’t be possible to duplicate that, but somehow they managed it.

The timelines are just confusing, especially now that Lydia is in the asylum in both timelines. And since Holland Roden’s range is limited at the best of times, it’s just one big mess now.

Favorite bit: Mason and his respect for library books.

Least favorite bit (hands down): “You trusted him, too.” I don’t mind Scott seeing it that way. What I do mind is that these things always go unchallenged on the show. Stiles just lowered his head as if he agreed. Revisionist writing much?

ETA: Am I the only one who finds Parrish and his wet (literally in this episode) dreams of Lydia the height of creepiness?

Edited by beee
  • Love 3

Still hate Theo. Wanted his sister to die so he could live and he has a smug Punchable face and I remember stuff he did in the first half of the season.

I hate him too. And not in the "I like to hate him" as in get off my screen your wasting time that could go to someone else.

Which was what confused me because Theo seemed to be tracking that chimera with Hayden and suddenly he was in the psych ward with a completely different group of people and Lydia was only admitted that morning but she's already acting like she's been in there for a while.

But me being confused as to the timelines in this show is not new.

Meanwhile, this episode didn't actually capture the zeitgeist did it? Not a lot of people seem to have watched it.

I am also confused. But I think there were two time periods. Plus character flashbacks with character memories.

1. what  I think of the present as, which is the aftermath of the last episode, with Liam and Scott fighting, parish finding Lydia. Lydia was just taken to the mental hospital. And the events related in this episode.

2. Lydia and the doctor already at the hospital, which was where the flashforwards have been the whole time. Theo and redshirts (don't know there names) come in. And to be honest I could careless about this time period and wish we got more of time period 1.

Least favorite bit (hands down): “You trusted him, too.” I don’t mind Scott seeing it that way. What I do mind is that these things always go unchallenged on the show. Stiles just lowered his head as if he agreed. Revisionist writing much?

Nah, Stiles more or less trusted Theo when he agreed to keep his secret (Theo killing the one Chimera kid when he was "saving" Stiles back in 5a) in exchange for Theo keeping his (that he was more or less responsible for Donavan's death.). So not so much revisionist as just semantics. He trusted Theo enough to keep his secret even if he didn't really trust his motives completely. Which is more or less why I had no problem with Stiles backing down. He didn't trust his relationship with Scott enough to let him in, and he was guilty enough to not explain himself when Scott came at him looking for answers. /shrugs The theme of last season seems to be unnecessary miscommunication.

Didn't really care for the episode. The time-line was way too jumbled, the random flashbacks were random and bordered on melodramatic. And all the slow-mo tied in with the epic of epic sounding music is starting to wear on me.

Nah, Stiles more or less trusted Theo when he agreed to keep his secret (Theo killing the one Chimera kid when he was "saving" Stiles back in 5a) in exchange for Theo keeping his (that he was more or less responsible for Donavan's death.). So not so much revisionist as just semantics. He trusted Theo enough to keep his secret even if he didn't really trust his motives completely. Which is more or less why I had no problem with Stiles backing down. He didn't trust his relationship with Scott enough to let him in, and he was guilty enough to not explain himself when Scott came at him looking for answers. /shrugs The theme of last season seems to be unnecessary miscommunication.

I agree on the “unnecessary miscommunication”. That shouldn’t have been enough to pull an epic friendship like Stiles and Scott apart. (Bad writing imo; there’s got to be more believable ways to cause a rift between them if that’s what you’re aiming for in the show.)

But we’ll have to agree to disagree on the rest. The mutual blackmail between Theo and Stiles doesn’t equal trust in my books.

ETA because I finally worked out how the quotes work. Yay me!

Edited by beee

But we’ll have to agree to disagree on the rest. The mutual blackmail between Theo and Stiles doesn’t equal trust in my books.

ETA because I finally worked out how the quotes work. Yay me!

You could argue that it looked like trust to an outsider. All Scott knew was that Stiles kept a secret from him that Theo was in. Add onto that, Scott could tell something was going on with his friend (I remember both he and Malia having asked Stiles if everything was okay with him at one point). So I could see how Scott would see that as Stiles trusting Theo (maybe over how much Stiles trusted Scott). Gotta remember that these are teenagers....and teenagers have a very all or nothing way of looking at things sometimes. Especially when it comes to secrets and trust.

And Yay!!! Congrats....it took me a while too, so I understand.

• Love 1

You could argue that it looked like trust to an outsider. All Scott knew was that Stiles kept a secret from him that Theo was in. Add onto that, Scott could tell something was going on with his friend (I remember both he and Malia having asked Stiles if everything was okay with him at one point). So I could see how Scott would see that as Stiles trusting Theo (maybe over how much Stiles trusted Scott). Gotta remember that these are teenagers....and teenagers have a very all or nothing way of looking at things sometimes. Especially when it comes to secrets and trust.

Yes, that is good point, but my gripe wasn’t that Scott thought Stiles trusted Theo but rather that Stiles seemed to guiltily agree. Stiles didn’t trust Theo. Imo he put up with him because Scott made him part of the pack but there was neither love nor trust lost between them. I don’t see Stiles as meek, so for him not to turn around and tell Scott that he didn’t trust Theo seemed out of character. Although in the grand scheme of the show, Scott never seems to have to account for his behavior and that is what really galls me about the writing. I do admit though that I don’t like his character much so I might be biased. I think he would be more interesting if he was less of a saint - for lack of a better word. And that includes that other characters are allowed to tell him when he’s wrong and him then taking responsibility for it. It would make him a little more rounded. No contest that Stiles made mistakes, too, but that wasn't my point in this case and at least he’s allowed to agonize over them. And DOB does it so well, too. :-)

Yes, that is good point, but my gripe wasn’t that Scott thought Stiles trusted Theo but rather that Stiles seemed to guiltily agree. Stiles didn’t trust Theo. Imo he put up with him because Scott made him part of the pack but there was neither love nor trust lost between them. I don’t see Stiles as meek, so for him not to turn around and tell Scott that he didn’t trust Theo seemed out of character. Although in the grand scheme of the show, Scott never seems to have to account for his behavior and that is what really galls me about the writing. I do admit though that I don’t like his character much so I might be biased. I think he would be more interesting if he was less of a saint - for lack of a better word. And that includes that other characters are allowed to tell him when he’s wrong and him then taking responsibility for it. It would make him a little more rounded. No contest that Stiles made mistakes, too, but that wasn't my point in this case and at least he’s allowed to agonize over them. And DOB does it so well, too. :-)

Maybe, but I think Stiles is guilty. It's why he broke up with/is actively avoiding Malia. It's also why he's lashing out at everyone. I could see his guilt being more along the lines of "I didn't trust Theo, but I still helped him further whatever agenda he had" kind of thing. I'd have to disagree on the whole Scott is never wrong thing; one big mistake Scott made this season was trusting Theo. In trusting Theo, he literally lost everything even his faith in himself/his abilities. He is still actually paying for that currently. I could also say him being so gungho in saving Stiles (and Lydia) in season 3 and going in half cocked resulted in Allison's death. Him lying to Allison about what her mother had done to him in season 2 made it easier for Gerard to manipulate her into opposing Scott and all werewolves in general. And so on and so on. So I'd have to disagree with him never having to pay for his mistakes. He does...The difference between him and Stiles is the way they deal with the aftermath. Scott cries, his mom gives him a pep talk, and then he gets back up and tries again. Stiles angsts over it and holds his feelings close to the vest while becoming more and more withdrawn.

I'd have to disagree on the whole Scott is never wrong thing; one big mistake Scott made this season was trusting Theo. In trusting Theo, he literally lost everything even his faith in himself/his abilities. He is still actually paying for that currently. I could also say him being so gungho in saving Stiles (and Lydia) in season 3 and going in half cocked resulted in Allison's death. Him lying to Allison about what her mother had done to him in season 2 made it easier for Gerard to manipulate her into opposing Scott and all werewolves in general. And so on and so on. So I'd have to disagree with him never having to pay for his mistakes. He does...The difference between him and Stiles is the way they deal with the aftermath. Scott cries, his mom gives him a pep talk, and then he gets back up and tries again. Stiles angsts over it and holds his feelings close to the vest while becoming more and more withdrawn.

My point exactly. Scott makes a lot of mistakes. My problem is with how that is addressed on the show and what consequences that has for him, if any. But I think that depends heavily on your viewpoint and it's unlikely we'll find a consensus.

Let me say that everything involving this Scott/Stiles break up doesn't make any sense. Scott not trusting Stiles, Stiles not telling Scott exactly what's up, everything is written for the purposes of Scott/Stiles being on the outs. So of course it doesn't make total sense; it's all for plot and nothing else. The show isn't exactly well written, but they've always done a decent job at keeping characterization intact. Until this Scott/Stiles stuff. Which I would like more if it was written better. The thing is is that Scott is definitely wrong and he does make a lot of mistakes, but Stiles made mistakes in this too (ok, really just not making Scott listen to exactly what happened, even when Scott was being an asshole about it). But yeah, for me this time, it's the writing that's affecting the way these two characters act. 

I think Scott and Stiles both have their major, major flaws, but I do think both of them have paid for them in their own ways. Stiles has definitely gotten himself into trouble, and Scott's flaws have ended with him trusting the wrong people and now he pretty much died because of them. I'm just hoping that with Scott pretty much coming back from the dead, he changes and stops being so trusting and actually is willing to be a better fighter. I won't say him being ok with killing, but I'd like for him to really see mortality and life vs death as less black and white. 

As for the rest of the episode, it wasn't bad but I'm getting kind of bored. The only thing that interests me are Stiles/Scott, Scott's hopeful change now that he's back from the dead, and a little bit of Lydia's story. I just don't like how she's still somewhat separated from the main characters...again. It's just a bit annoying at this point. Also, I'd love to see Kira again so I can't wait for her return. Oh, and Mason. Mason is an excellent supporting character, and much more interesting than Danny. Everything else, I really couldn't care less about. Hayden/Liam bores me, I'm not that interested in Theo and his chimera pack, I'm done with the Dread Doctors, and even Parrish's storyline now is mostly about him imagining himself boning Lydia. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 1

My point exactly. Scott makes a lot of mistakes. My problem is with how that is addressed on the show and what consequences that has for him, if any. But I think that depends heavily on your viewpoint and it's unlikely we'll find a consensus.

Yea, they all make mistakes. Especially last season (and even in this episode), but the examples I gave prove that Scott does get penalized for his mistakes. He's still oozing blood and has a patch of skin missing from a wound he should've healed from by now. So not only did he die (and come back) because of his mistakes, he feels guilt over them as well. But I agree, we probably are just gonna have to agree to disagree.