Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Chapter Thirty

Yep Rafael thinks he's entitled to whatever he wants, whether its Jane or anything else. He thinks he can buy Jane and Matteo and when that doesn't work he thinks he can use lawyers to sue for custody.

When did he try to buy Jane? And when did he broach/threaten to use lawyers to sue for custody? Cuz that second thing? All Jane. She has considered stripping away his rights twice. Rafael? None that I remember. The only time I recall him invoking lawyers was in regards to formalizing a custodial agreement and adhering to it.

• Love 2

There's "not loving the idea" and then there's "hiding evidence pointing to a potential murder suspect because implicating her might mess up her marriage which might mess up a Rafael's baby-free life he envisioned."  I think a legitimate argument could be made that they both feel entitled. Or the one.  Or right for her. 

Of course Michael thinks he knows more about Jane than Rafael.  He thinks he knows more about Jane than Jane. (Not that I agree that Rafael knows nothing about her. ETA which I just saw you clarified in the other thread. )

I'm gonna need the show to point that out to me before I even consider taking it as canon and even then....I'll have a hard time.  When did Michael get verbally violent on Rafael?

Well, I'm referring to his emotional status not his actions, which I don't condone. Because if Michael had fully embraced the situation, he wouldn't be realistic. I'm not saying he should've done what he did, but it's realistic and understandable for a person to take that badly...again, emotionally speaking. I'm not many agree with what Michael did next. It's not a big deal to me if they feel as if they're the one/right for her, but I can understand Michael's frame of thoughts because of their plans opposed to Rafael because of medical malpractice. 

Actually, Michael does know more about Jane than Rafael does. I'm not sure how this is debatable because the series constantly highlights this--it's not even trivial stuff either such as stuff she likes, but her personality as well. As far as Michael thinking he knows Jane better than Jane, I don't believe he does know her better, and I disagree with the fact that he said it to her, but again, this traces back to his frustration with everything they had compared to what he thinks is going on with Jane: she wants to make a family with the dad. Jane constantly flirts with the idea, but I don't think she's adamant about that happening, but it would be nice in her opinion. That's what he's critical about.

Not violent either, but more so the yelling, accusations, etc when he's upset. 

• Love 2

When did he try to buy Jane? And when did he broach/threaten to use lawyers to sue for custody? Cuz that second thing? All Jane. She has considered stripping away his rights twice. Rafael? None that I remember. The only time I recall him invoking lawyers was in regards to formalizing a custodial agreement and adhering to it.

He's always trying to buy Jane. Constantly throwing money at his problems, thats all he knows.

And just a couple of episodes he wanted to get the lawyers in cos she wasn't submitting to his wants.

[Raphael's] always trying to buy Jane. Constantly throwing money at his problems, that's all he knows.

And just a couple of episodes he wanted to get the lawyers in cos she wasn't submitting to his wants.

I respectfully disagree. If "buy[ing] Jane" was all that Raphael does, then it would have been him, not Rogelio, who paid for Jane's scholarship. As for Raphael's using lawyers, that's just him protecting his rights as the father, the way I see it.

Magda is a dangerous mess.

Amen to that. Magda's pushing Alba down the stairs was bad enough, but her willingness to frame her own pregnant daughter for the murder she committed proves that her mind is even more messed up than her eyesight.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

I only got into the show over the summer and am watching it on Netflix. As someone who just got her green card a year ago, I call BS on the "surprise" green card arrival. It doesn't work like that at all. Firstly, you can find out how long your application will take by looking up online how fast the queue is moving, and you can sign up for email and text notifications when anything changes. Immigration lawyers tell their clients about the online resources, and Jane is certainly the kind of person who would have signed up for the notifications. Secondly, you don't just get your green card in the mail once you get approved. You get a letter first about the approval, then you have to make an appointment for fingerprinting, and only once that's done do you get your GC in the mail. So it's never a surprise.

I know this is hardly the most ridiculous thing about the show, but it just irks me when TV shows get the US immigration process so wrong.

• Love 1

When the therapist asked Jane why lying is such a big deal to her, I thought wait, isn't lying a red flag to normal people? To me, that's like asking someone why cheating or murder are negative things in their relationship. They're bad things that you shouldn't want in your relationship! I would never say, "Oh, yeah, my boyfriend lies to me but it's no big deal." I think even if she hadn't found out that Xiomara had lied to her about her father for 23 years, Rafael's lie still would have been an issue for her. I'm glad that Jane and Rafael are going to therapy. I hope they continue going (even if it's off screen) because I think they have some issues that could benefit from having an impartial third party steer the conversation away from emotional reactions and towards useful solutions.

What I really loved is that Rafael was able to be honest with Xiomara and admit that sometimes he still gets upset that she kept Jane from him for so long, but he was able to do it in a way that wasn't accusatory or spiteful. Moment of maturity!

I liked that Petra and Rafael had a moment of friendship. I don't want them to get back together, but it's nice to see remnants of the good parts of their relationship once in a while. And it's realistic to me that she would confess to him. They were together for several years so she still has that instinct to turn to him and despite everything they've been through, she trusts him with such a huge secret. On top of that, she is so isolated now. She has no real friends, just Magda, so it's believable to me that the stress of keeping these secrets has been building and she finally let it out to Rafael. On a shallow note, I am going to miss Ivan and his snarky comments.

I wish that Jane had done a double take and asked Rogelio more when he said that his fake scholarship for her was for the whole year. If that's true, she shouldn't need to worry about financial aid until her second year of grad school. If he paid for two semesters of her tuition, why did the woman in the office say that she owes for spring semester?

I really don't like seeing all these signs pointing towards Jane eventually dating her professor. First of all, unethical! Secondly, just no on principle. While I would love a break from the endless Rafael/Michael ping pong, I don't need to see another guy added to her love life.

Rogelio continues to be delightful, even in his outgoing voicemail message.

I think Michael does know Jane really well, but I also think it's okay that Rafael doesn't know her as well because when Jane and Rafael started dating, there was a lot of other stuff going on (her pregnancy, his father's death, Luisa's disappearance, etc). There are some things you learn about a person over time, and she and Michael had a lot more leisurely time getting to know each other (meaning just hanging out, watching tv, etc). That doesn't necessarily mean Michael is better or that Rafael is worse. It just means that there are things Michael knows because he has spent so much time with Jane. There was a period where my boyfriend and I had a long distance relationship so he missed out on a lot of the day to day stuff. Meanwhile my coworkers who I saw every day at work (plus having lunch together a few times a week, going to happy hour after work, hanging out in the weekends) knew all kinds of random things about me just by virtue of spending time with me, like which salsa I liked at the taco place by work or which shoes I insisted on wearing because they were cute even though they hurt my feet. They knew a lot of things about me but that doesn't mean I should have been dating one of them instead of my boyfriend. At this point I'm not rooting for any particular ship because I'd rather see Jane do her own thing, but I know it's unrealistic to think that the show isn't going to continue the triangle so I'm just hoping that they stop throwing obstacles at the relationships in every episode. Maybe slow it down to some kind of betrayal every other episode?