Type keyword(s) to search

Santa Barbara - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I haven't seen all of 1990 or 1991 yet, so I can't say for sure. I'm slowly watching but it takes time of course.  For me 1989 is the absolute worst so far. It does slowly improve in 1990. But still just in pockets.

I liked the storyline with Cassandra when she comes in 1990. I liked some of the Quinn and Flame storyline. I liked the Lisa storyline.

But not much else. And then for me it basically ends at 1991. I never watched once MW left.

Edited by cleo
7 hours ago, cleo said:

Cruz's brother is a little interesting but goes nowhere.

I liked Ric/Kelly, as it started out pretty great, but then, yeah...it went nowhere. I didn't care for Ethan and Laura Asher [aside from the BRIEF drama it provided due to Ethan's resemblance to Zack Kelton!], but once Laura went completely nuts, it seemed like Christopher Norris had a LOT more fun in the role, once Ethan started his fling with Gina.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, cleo said:

Wow I had no idea Gina and Ethan hooked up. 

Yep, keep watching. Laura also had a past with Michael Donnelly, and it explained why he became a priest, when he was a cop before [and after, when he quit being a priest!].

And Laura going crazy also tied her to Mason/Julia since Laura would be the one to off Sasha [leading to the whole frozen Sasha story as the dead body was placed in Julia's beach house and Sasha was once Mason's mistress, so they'd be blamed, etc.]!

• Love 1

Interesting. Yeah I've never seen any of that with  Sasha. I didn't know Laura went crazy. Maybe I'll pay more attn. I did watch the early stuff with her and Michael. But once it got into the Leo Mitchell stuff I skipped alot. 

Michael was stuck in a lot of bad plots.

I'm at the part- around  where Laura admitted to killing Leo.

Edited by cleo
8 hours ago, Bali said:

Yeah, I was so gone by this point, I don't even know who Laura is.

Well, she was the wife of [lookalike to Zack Kelton - and Cruz held a gun on him in his first scene!] and the new DA, Ethan Asher [Leigh J. McCloskey played both roles!]. The actress playing her, Christopher Norris, was better known as one of the cast members of Trapper John, M.D., in the early '80s.

On 8/15/2021 at 7:01 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I liked Ric/Kelly, as it started out pretty great, but then, yeah...it went nowhere. I didn't care for Ethan and Laura Asher [aside from the BRIEF drama it provided due to Ethan's resemblance to Zack Kelton!], but once Laura went completely nuts, it seemed like Christopher Norris had a LOT more fun in the role, once Ethan started his fling with Gina.

So much wasted potential.

• Love 1

So I'm still watching the end of 1987...a little deeper into the start of CC and Sophia breaking up.

Yes it is completely ridiculous and poorly written. I can't for the life of me figure out Sophia is pissed about. CC is pretty much the way he always is so I dunno why she's so.mad. It's very poorly written, I ff a lot.

It's a shame they felt the need to drag Kirk into random storylines. I'm not quite there yet, but looking ahead and the Elena story was great without that, it really detracts from Elena as a psychotic villain. 

I continue to hate Pamela and not into Shirley Fields either. I really don't like actors that are all snooty and too high and mighty for soaps. Soaps were pretty demanding roles and I've seen some damn good soap actors. 

Edited by cleo

You know I'm not a fan of breaking up CC and Sophia. It doesn't make sense to me. I kind of feel like every time there was a power change at the production level, the new person wanted to break them up or get them together "their" way. So, Sophia was one of the least consistent characters. But I still love JM forever

• Love 1

Terry Lester made quite a first appearance as Mason at Julia's trial. I liked it- he and Julia sparring in court was good, they bounced off each other pretty well.

Also they got me- I did think Bunny was dead. Never saw this story before.

Also damn but Roscoe Born had crazy chemistry with MW and CG. But it will always he Robert and Eden to me. I can only make sense of Robert and Kelly by making it Quinn.

Edited by cleo
On 10/26/2021 at 12:01 PM, cleo said:

I didn't. Did you? I haven't watched any of these Locher things. Just too much tv to watch lol. 

But I was tempted to watch this one.

I did. It was a good interview. She's had an interesting life. She talks about Green Acres, ATWT, AW, OLTL and SB, and she teared up over adopting her daughter. She talked about her big blow up with Jed Allan. And JFP telling them they had to start talking to each other. She was laughing about how silly they were. 

I still think she would be interesting to chat with. It was the first one I've watched.

Edited by Bali
Edited to add

I sort of slowed down. Right now, Gina has the tape and just vanished. CC found the gun and thought Sophia shot Gina. So, he grabbed her and made mad passionate love to her. Because she showed him how far she's willing to go for him. Less than a year later, he's ignoring her, she's blowing stuff up, and he's mad about that. 

I'd like to watch it. I've been making a note of them.

Also yes my goodness what a stupid fucking storyline re Sophia- blowing shit up. So out of character. 

I was watching two time frames- end of 1989 (Robert stuff). And then 1987 1988. 

I had just started 1988, Marj Dusay came on board. Sophia and that stupid explosion. Sooooo dumb. I feel like the writing went off a cliff.

I'm taking a break from the 1988 stuff and just watching the Robert stuff. 

Edited by cleo
1 hour ago, cleo said:

Ah sorry to hear that, if you were watching from there. It happens sometimes- copyright I assume and then she starts all over. I think this is the second or third time.

Yeah, she's pretty upset about it. I know there's another place to watch. It was pmd to me, but even that message disappeared. My husband will NOT watch, and we're always home at the same time, so I can't do dvds or tapes. 

23 hours ago, cleo said:

I'd like to watch it. I've been making a note of them.

Also yes my goodness what a stupid fucking storyline re Sophia- blowing shit up. So out of character.

I had just started 1988, Marj Dusay came on board. Sophia and that stupid explosion. Sooooo dumb. I feel like the writing went off a cliff.

I'm taking a break from the 1988 stuff and just watching the Robert stuff. 

The stupid jealousy and explosion. Not Sophia at all. She knows he is hers. Especially so soon after the Gina and the tape stuff

• Love 1
On 10/28/2021 at 4:52 AM, Bali said:

The videos disappeared from YouTube. Whaaa

Boo. I had watched up to the mid-700s and was in the midst of the Elena/Eleanor story. Oh well.

I get that people take their chances posting soaps on youtube due to the possibility of being shut down due to copyright, but it's a shame that the copyright holders will do that even though youtube and similar sites and DVD sellers/traders are the only way to watch old soaps. It's not like the copyright holders are losing money by having the episodes on youtube given that they aren't trying to make money off the shows in the first place.

Edited by Steph J

I found a way to keep watching. Cruz was just arrested for killing the whackadoodle daughter of CC and Pamela-yuck. Sophia is giving Eden a peptalk. She ends it with, Have I ever lied to you? Eden says no. I'm at home talking to my tv, "Well, there were those 20 years where I thought I was dead. And your creepy old as you stepson hypnotized me into not remembering seeing you." Gawd, I love this show! Lol! 

And Mason is back! This show is better with it's A team actors. Who cares about new Lakin? Lane looked good with a beard.

• Love 1

That's great you found a way to keep watching.

I just finished that storyline where Cruz was arrested. Honestly I didn't like much with that storyline once he was arrested, and some of the investigating they do after makes no sense.

I'm still early 1988. I kind of like TJ lol. I feel like that's an UO

Edited by cleo

Ah! I think people have more issues with TJ breaking up who he breaks up than with TJ himself. I've only seen a couple of episodes with him. 

Sidenote: there is an episode of Scrabble with Jed Allan, Judith McConnell, Chip Meyer and Robin Mattson. It's pretty funny. 

• Love 1

So, here are my problems with Pamela. One- Marj Dusay was CLEARLY the best option, but we weren't allowed to have her at the beginning. Two- she isn't menacing or conniving enough. She isn't even vanilla. Vanilla has more flavor. Three- instead of making Pamela the bad guy, they decided to change Sophis and make her the heavy. Four- to be effective, there should have been something likeable about her. Five- total lack of chemistry between SF and Jed. Six- Sophia already won once, why would she be insecure? Seven- it would have been so much better to have Pammie be a coniver, or full Elena pyscho that gaslights or kidnaps Sophia

• Love 1

@Bali Totes agree about SF and the utter lack of chemistry with CC. Like I'm sorry but I do not believe in a million years CC would have married her.

I can see him with MD even though I think Sophia is prettier and could have easily seduced him. MD had some glamor and sophistication that SF just couldn't carry off.

Actually I agree with your whole post. Sophia hire a guy to get rid of Pamela? Never. Not the woman who sat at that dinner table in the 90s and talked about how she calculatedly seduced him and undermined Pamela. Just no. Ridiculous. 

I can tolerate a lot of retcons but this- yuck.

ETA also the fact that SF apparently thought Soaps were beneath her colours my opinion. I really don't like actors that look down on soaps- it clearly wasn't beneath her bc she accepted the job.

I also have the same feeling toward RW. I know everyone loves her. Yes she is beautiful. Yes she can act. But I don't care for her attitude about her past work in Soaps, unless I'm misinformed on it- which could be. It's gossip I heard lol.

Edited by cleo
9 hours ago, cleo said:

I also have the same feeling toward RW. I know everyone loves her. Yes she is beautiful. Yes she can act. But I don't care for her attitude about her past work in Soaps, unless I'm misinformed on it- which could be. It's gossip I heard lol.

No, not a rumor. She has been on a number of talk shows and, when some of the hosts mention Santa Barbara, she is quick to make some disparaging comment.

• Love 1

@WendyCR72 thanks I have wondered about that for a long time. I never followed her interviews or anything. Was never really into her shows or movies except Princess Bride 

In other news I'm enjoying this Hal Clark storyline with CC and Pamela. I could totally see CC killing a guy in a rage. 

Eden and Cruz and this assassin storyline with Cane and whatsername - what a snooze. I ff a lot.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1

I'm approaching the end of CC and Sophia's third marriage, so the camera keeps zooming in on her hand and wedding rings. I'm surprised poor Judith McConnell was able to move her hands because those things are so enormous. 

• Love 1

We're almost at the same spot! I think I've just got an ep or two before she sleeps with TJ. 

The divorce stuff with Mason and Julia and Victoria got old fast.

ETA Bali I think I saw one of your posts on another soap site. I'm registered there as Kari or something like that. I don't post very often.

Edited by cleo
On 1/29/2022 at 11:24 AM, cleo said:

We're almost at the same spot! I think I've just got an ep or two before she sleeps with TJ. 

The divorce stuff with Mason and Julia and Victoria got old fast.

ETA Bali I think I saw one of your posts on another soap site. I'm registered there as Kari or something like that. I don't post very often.

Yes, I'm Marissa Gallant on another board. I'm having a very hard time watching this era. I feel like JFP just threw all backstory out the window to create something "more soaplike" and the growing pains were really hard right now. Frankly, Lane, Nancy, Marcy and A saved it. Everyone else is pppfffftttt

Yeah so far there isn't much in 1988 I would ever rewatch except for maybe Marj Dusay's scenes bc I like her so much.  

But I'm only on Feb. I've never seen 88 before.

NLG said in a recent podcast that she and LD didn't talk for like 8 months and no one knew it bc they did some of their best work ever.

Trying to figure out what she thinks their best work ever was. I figure it can't be the baby contract stuff leading up to the affair? Maybe.

What's after, Sonny Sprocket? Find it hard to believe she would think that was their best work.

4 hours ago, cleo said:

Yeah so far there isn't much in 1988 I would ever rewatch except for maybe Marj Dusay's scenes bc I like her so much.  

But I'm only on Feb. I've never seen 88 before.

NLG said in a recent podcast that she and LD didn't talk for like 8 months and no one knew it bc they did some of their best work ever.

Trying to figure out what she thinks their best work ever was. I figure it can't be the baby contract stuff leading up to the affair? Maybe.

What's after, Sonny Sprocket? Find it hard to believe she would think that was their best work.

Isn't after Sonny the first wedding? Then Lane is gone. Maybe she's talking about Sonny, into the wedding? I *thought* that the breakup was before he left and part of the reason WHY he left was the tension between them. And so the timing would be Sonny into the wedding.

I haven't seen 88 either. 

Odd- when Jed Allan and Judith McConnell refused to talk to each other, JFP told them that they had to make up. But it was okay for NLG and LD. They must have been more discreet about their argument. Of course JM says their fight was onstage.

Yeah that's pretty much the timeline. I think before or after the wedding there was a brief storyline about Mason being an alcoholic but that's it I think.

Just find it hard to believe anyone could call Sonny Sprocket LD's best work.

10 hours ago, cleo said:

Yeah that's pretty much the timeline. I think before or after the wedding there was a brief storyline about Mason being an alcoholic but that's it I think.

Just find it hard to believe anyone could call Sonny Sprocket LD's best work.

Well, technically she said their best work. So maybe in her mind, the fact that no one knew they weren't talking makes the kissing and lovey stuff their best work.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, cleo said:

I don't find TJ attractive but I have to say he had the best and fullest 80s mullet I've ever seen. 😄

Sad that Christopher "Chip" Mayer died so young, though. Ironically, one of his wives was Eileen Davidson, Kelly #3. He also appeared on Silk Stalkings without a mullet and looked a hell of a lot better for it, too.

• Love 1

Ironically, one of his wives was Eileen Davidson, Kelly #3

Technically, Kelly #4.

Funny enough, both of them appeared on the show after they were divorced, but their stints on the show didn't overlap.

Looking back at his life, it's interesting that his last acting credit was in 2000, and he passed away in 2011 at the age of 57.

2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Technically, Kelly #4.

Funny enough, both of them appeared on the show after they were divorced, but their stints on the show didn't overlap.

Looking back at his life, it's interesting that his last acting credit was in 2000, and he passed away in 2011 at the age of 57.

Ah, duh! I forgot Kimberly MacArthur. My bad there.

Yes, TJ has an amazing mullet. I saw that stirrup pants are back, mullets aren't going to do that too- right? (She pleaded in the tiniest voice possible.)

I'm on episode 900 now. I have so many things to say. I still believe that the storyline of Sophia blowing up the rig is out of character. I understand the affair with TJ a little more. But I still would have preferred a full blown Sophia/CC/Lionel triangle. It would have felt more organic and been a good triangle. No one was rooting for longterm Sophia/TJ. People would have voted longterm Sophia/Lionel. And it might have kept Nicholas Coster on the show. And let's face it, he made the show better. 

They still could have had CC and Pamela-yuck sleep together. It would have gotten delightfully messy. 

• Love 1

I'm on 891. Totes agree Sophia would never have hired someone to cause trouble like that.

If I look past that and also her being angry at CC for some inexplicable reason it's not a bad story.

ETA would have loved a Sophia CC Lionel triangle.

Edited by cleo