Type keyword(s) to search

S04: Marquesas

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Hunter's turned down opportunities to come back for Survivor, but will advertise flashlights that can survive being run over by a semi.

I always liked Hunter (and Gina), but somehow, looking back, I think Marquesas would have turned out much differently have they managed to make the merge.  If they were bitter enough against the likes of Vee and Sean, and saw no chance of winning, I could see them siding with the Rotu 4 out of spite and giving us a predictable and crappy season.

On September 6, 2016 at 9:14 AM, fishcakes said:

I never liked Hunter all that much so I feel a little schadenfreude when I see that commercial. Former fighter pilot, current deep-fryer of flashlights.

I never liked Hunter either, though I could never exactly put my finger on why. Something just came off a little phony about him in that Tom Cruise kind of way. 

9 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Hunter's turned down opportunities to come back for Survivor, but will advertise flashlights that can survive being run over by a semi.

I always liked Hunter (and Gina), but somehow, looking back, I think Marquesas would have turned out much differently have they managed to make the merge.  If they were bitter enough against the likes of Vee and Sean, and saw no chance of winning, I could see them siding with the Rotu 4 out of spite and giving us a predictable and crappy season.

100% agreed. Hunter and Gina were classic "Right Reasons" (as they say in the Bachelor threads) players. Those who worked the hardest and had the most survival skills "deserved" to win in their minds and I think the Rotu 4 could have easily used their predictable votes to march to the end. 

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 1:08 AM, LadyChatts said:

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, ljenkins782 said:

100% agreed. Hunter and Gina were classic "Right Reasons" (as they say in the Bachelor threads) players. Those who worked the hardest and had the most survival skills "deserved" to win in their minds and I think the Rotu 4 could have easily used their predictable votes to march to the end. 

I agree about Hunter, but not about Gina.  I do think that Gina understood that it was a game, so I don't think she'd have let the Rotus run away with the game so easily.  She might've been sold with the right argument, especially if it'd come from Kathy, Paschal, or Neleh, none of whom she had anything against.

Edited by Michel
Double post by accident.
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

I've always said Vecepia is an underrated player, so yes. Of the final 5, I think Vecepia played the best game, although Sean was my favorite person out of that group.

Bringing this over from the All-Stars thread, I think she was even the best of the F6 after Tammy was gone.  Before she and John had been voted out, I think Vecepia might've lost to either of them.  But once Tammy lost that F7 Immunity Challenge and was voted out, she was pretty much a better player than even Robert, the General, not just better than Sean, Paschal, Kathy, and Neleh.

• Love 1

I would say Vecepia was better than even Tammy and John because she had a better social game and was able to turn things around when she started out on the bottom of new Rotu. But after Paschal and Neleh defected, the Rotu 4 just kind of collapsed into bitterness. They turned on each other and sulked. The General chopped even more wood than usual. It was great.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

I would say Vecepia was better than even Tammy and John because she had a better social game and was able to turn things around when she started out on the bottom of new Rotu. But after Paschal and Neleh defected, the Rotu 4 just kind of collapsed into bitterness. They turned on each other and sulked. The General chopped even more wood than usual. It was great.

That is certainly true that Vecepia's social game was stronger than probably everyone in the game by that point in time.  I dare say it was better than anyone else in the entire F10 who made the merge.

But in fairness to Tammy and Robert, at least they stuck together after John was gone.  Zoe's pretty much the one who turned on both of them.

• Love 1

I think Vee created what Sandra perfected  - "anyone but me." 

And this is why when Dan was like "Flippers never win." well. um. yeah, they do Mr. Superfan.. Vee did. when she didn't like how things were going, she went and created a new alliance for herself. I can't find a good source to check out survivor voting histories but but she only had a few votes tossed against her way the entire game. she was never really committed to anyone, except for Sean and I think that she + he both realised it was a game and if the had to turn against each other it would be in spirit of the game nothing personal 

(its often seasons like this one, and like amazon etc) when fans go they are "SUPER FANS" on the show now, sure they can hit the big notes but it's little things like these that make you go. really? 

• Love 3

This is definitely one of my top 5 seasons, all because of Boston Rob and Sean. Probably the funniest survivor player ever in my opinion is Sean. I'm sad to see there's little appreciation for him out there.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, MrYunis said:

This is definitely one of my top 5 seasons, all because of Boston Rob and Sean. Probably the funniest survivor player ever in my opinion is Sean. I'm sad to see there's little appreciation for him out there.

I loved him but I could see why he could be tiring. a good part of it was always being defensive about race and the religion thing which I know got on a lot of people's nerves at the time. 

Finally watched this season! So this was BRob's first appearance - he really came across as a cocky little snot. What bugged me the most was the rock draw that resulted in Paschal's exit. So unfair that an 'innocent bystander' who'd received no votes the entire time drew the purple one & had to go! And the absence of gimmicks like HIIs, secret advantages etc. made the play so 'simple', for lack of a better word.

One question - John & Sean voted for V to win, Zoe & Paschal voted Neleh....how did Kathy, Tammy & the General vote? Must have been difficult for Neleh to realize that one vote made all the difference. If I'd been in her position I might have felt better receiving none than having come so close.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, allirish47 said:

Finally watched this season! So this was BRob's first appearance - he really came across as a cocky little snot. What bugged me the most was the rock draw that resulted in Paschal's exit. So unfair that an 'innocent bystander' who'd received no votes the entire time drew the purple one & had to go! And the absence of gimmicks like HIIs, secret advantages etc. made the play so 'simple', for lack of a better word.

One question - John & Sean voted for V to win, Zoe & Paschal voted Neleh....how did Kathy, Tammy & the General vote? Must have been difficult for Neleh to realize that one vote made all the difference. If I'd been in her position I might have felt better receiving none than having come so close.

The rock draw was not supposed to work that way, but they figured that out too late.  Apparently the rock draw was supposed to work the way it does now, except they realized at the final 4, by default, Paschal would be the only one eligible to draw rocks.  So they had all of them draw rocks, and then did the tie breaker in following seasons for the final 4 if there was a tie over the rock draw.  

In a way, considering Paschal ended up having a medical emergency after being rocked out, maybe it worked out for the best.

Edited by LadyChatts

Thanks to you both for the updates! So interesting to see how the game has evolved over the seasons, & to finally see some of the contestants whose names (& sometimes faces) have popped up in subsequent seasons.

On 7/7/2018 at 6:19 PM, fishcakes said:

Kathy voted for Neleh. Tammy and the General voted for Vecepia.

Kathy's vote is ironic, given that Neleh's "helpful" maneuver of pointing out her shirt being askew was the reason she lost the F3 challenge, lol. IIRC, it wasn't even that revealing, it wasn't like she had a boob hanging out, more like the neck of her shirt shifted. Certainly nothing that really needed to be fixed right at that moment, but Neleh got her. 

I loved him but I could see why he could be tiring. a good part of it was always being defensive about race and the religion thing which I know got on a lot of people's nerves at the time. 

Sean was hilarious, but he was also stubborn as hell, which doesn't quite make for the best teammate. I liked him on TV, but I don't know how I would have felt about him if he was on my tribe. Same goes for Boston Rob, he makes good TV, but I don't think I'd like him in real life. And the two of them together being young, stubborn, alpha males who don't want to be told what to do ever...I can see why that made them unpopular in a teamwork setting. 

• Love 2