Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: What Makes Us All Unique

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

If anyone has a chance, watch the one-off, Tiny at 20, on TLC.

This is about a 20-year-old primoidal dwarf, but the way her mother, and other in her family, treat her, reminds me of this show.
They are also trying to get her to act independently, but she's resisting.

2 hours ago, auntjess said:

I am so torn. On one hand, that modeling agency was very short-sighted, because that kid could totally move product. He's adorable and a ham. On the other hand, I roll my eyes so hard at moms who "try so hard to get" their kid into modeling. She gives noble reasons about inclusivity and stuff, but I just hear "look at me! Look at my kid!" whenever I see moms like that. They're the same ones who enter their kid's photo into Cutest Baby Contests, then get pissed when their friends don't vote.

• Love 7

Don't try to force him into the spotlight because he has DS. He's cute, whatever, but don't use his DS as a reason to "make" him accepted. I hope this is coming across right. Just because Carter's representative didn't choose him, don't weaponize his disability.

• Love 1

The issue wasn't that Carter's didn't choose him, it was that the agency never even submitted him to the client, because it hadn't asked for kids with special needs.  It's the same idea as acting roles that don't specify a race; all too often those get read as "white" and casting directors don't look at/agents don't send people of color.  A character of non-specified race should be open to actors of any race who fit the characteristics that are specified.  Similarly, if Carter's just says they want, for example, cute kids ages 1-3, the agencies should offer up their clients who fit those criteria, not just the "typical" clients who fit those criteria.  The mother pointed that out, and the agent acknowledged it was an error to assume that a call not specifying kids with Down Syndrome meant no kids with DS should be submitted.

So, yeah, there are more substantial forms of discrimination this kid will face - and the mother is inherently annoying the same way any parent working to get their little kid into the industry is, and with her "he has no limitations" crap - but she's right that it matters what we see.  If the only time we see people with Down Syndrome in advertisements (or on TV) is when it's specifically about the fact they have DS, that's problematic, because it makes their disability their sole characteristic (and perpetuates the lack of awareness/understanding about the wide variety of characteristics, experiences, and abilities among people with DS).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

If the only time we see people with Down Syndrome in advertisements (or on TV) is when it's specifically about the fact they have DS, that's problematic, because it makes their disability their sole characteristic (and perpetuates the lack of awareness/understanding about the wide variety of characteristics, experiences, and abilities among people with DS).

I couldn't agree more with your entire post, @Bastet.  And that's how stigmas are born and probably why we continue to live in a divided and shitty world.

For the companies themselves, the idea behind a catalog is to show people what they will look like in the clothes.  I understand that they want beautiful kids+adults, but sometimes beautiful kids+adults have DS, had a limb amputated, alopecia, dwarfism or are in a wheelchair, etc.   It's not only important for others who look similar to see them included, it's important for "typical" people to see them included.  This is our world and it's full of beauty, and they have the power to redefine it. 

• Love 5

camom, and anyone else with knowledge of the law.
Pure curiosity, because we discuss this in My 600 Lb Life topics.
If you're the spouse of someone immobilized by massive obesity, then I can kind of see you might be responsible, and liable if you just walk out, but what if you have no legal ties? 
Can't you, shouldn't you be able, to just walk out, call APS, but say hey, person's not trying, just wants someone to supply food.
What if it's an adult child, sibling?
Are you perpetually responsible for another adult, whose only disability is self-inflicted obesity?

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2

auntjess,  I posed this question to a relative who is a probate judge.  If the person is legally an adult, you can't legally be forced to care for them (morally is another issue and certainly would vary from person to person).  In the case of a spouse, you could be made to provide financial support, but not for a child or sibling.  Of course, in my mind, there is a big difference between someone who has basically caused their own inability to care for themselves and someone who has not control over the fact that they are disabled.

• Love 2

Thank you, camom.
I don't know if you ever watch the show, but while some are decent people, some of them are controlling bullies, and you wish their girlfriends or boyfriends, would just walk out on them.
ETA:  Lisa, you do NOT have sleep on the damn floor by the bed, in case James craps himself.  Get up, and take your daughter and RUN.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1