Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E12: Road To Redemption

Ohmo
  • Start Topic

I'm starting a new thread for this.  I'm squarely and without a doubt on Team Jennifer and Mom.  David Biro needs to rot in jail because I completely agree that he's a danger to society.

Under full disclosure, I also have to say that I've always had a difficult time taking people like Jean seriously.  I'm very cynical and suspicious by nature, and the best I can do is acknowledge Jean's right to hold her opinion.  I do think she's living in some fairy tale world, but to each her own.  If it were me, there's not a shot in hell I'd be hoping Biro gets a second chance, nor would I be going to visit him regularly.

• Love 10

If he was a sociopathic teenager, he's a sociopath today.  It will be interesting to see what the resentencing judge decides.

Yup.  Trying to poison your siblings is not something that can be fixed...even with meds.  In my opinion, I think there's a difference between mental illness and criminal mental illness like David Biro, Jeffrey Dalmer, Castro in Cleveland, Ted Bundy, etc.  I think criminal mental illness is untreatable, as harsh as that may sound.

• Love 8

I don't get Jean either. I could MAYBE understand if she wanted to meet with him once to see if there is any humanity in him at all but to visit him regularly?? And I hope she hasn't fallen in love with him. I fear for her should he get out.

• Love 7

I wonder what his family thinks about all this forgiveness and Jean visiting their son's murderer in prison every month chatting like old pals?

That's a very good point.  Her sister wasn't the only person who died.  While I personally would not forgive him, I can acknowledge that Jean night want to forgive him.  However, she can do that and still have him be in prison.  To work for his release sends the message that he has served his time.  That may be the case for some crimes, but not for this one, in my opinion...especially not for a child who never got a chance to be one and was wanted by both of his or her parents.

Maybe they are just doing it for the cameras, but Jennifer and Mom are very civil about the whole thing.  If it were me, I doubt I'd be that civil.  It would more than likely end my relationship with the Jean-like sibling simply because I'd view it as a betrayal of the sibling who was killed.

• Love 4

In a way I do agree with Jean in that I really feel for the person who made a big mistake when they were young, is very unlikely to murder again, and gets life without parole.  It just seems like such a waste.  Of course, I've never had a loved one murdered, so there's that.  But I don't think this is the case with Biro.  He seems like a psychopath who needs to be separated from society.

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Love 2

Jean never said she thought he should get out though.  When Maureen asked her she said she didn't know.

She just forgave him.  Which plenty of victim's family members do.  It's ok for her to have a different opinion than that of her family.  She's doing what works for her.  Her sister and mother are doing what works for them.  It doesn't mean they need to end relationships over a difference of opinion.  

I could MAYBE understand if she wanted to meet with him once to see if there is any humanity in him at all but to visit him regularly?? And I hope she hasn't fallen in love with him.

I had the exact same thought--whether she was oddly kind of falling for him. It's one thing to look for some closure by trying to find out why some smug teenage sociopath killed your sister and brother-in-law, but it's something else entirely to drive 200 miles every other month, and exchange cheery "so what made you become a lawyer?!" anecdotes. Personally, I'd be really saddened by the idea that my sister was chumming it up with some punk who thrill-killed me, my husband, and our unborn child.

The more cynical (and likely unfair) part of me wonders whether, after deciding to write about her experiences, she realized that the predictable "I hate my sister's killer" angle wouldn't be unique enough to sell books and get national-spotlight interviews.

• Love 7

Something struck me as odd about Jean.  Forgiving the killer of a family member has its place.  I can imagine that it might be therapeutic for some people, but, it's the manner that she has approached this and the degree of fascination she has with the man that is so bizarre to me.

It's almost like she is in love with the guy. She seems giddy when talking about visiting him and the look on her face when looking at him......too much infatuation, IMO.  Very sad.  I do wonder if there is something about her that causes this.  Recall how when the murders first occurred and the police and FBI questioned her about her contacts or enemies abroad?  Recall that she would not cooperate.  She seemed to have some allegiance to these foreign contacts EVEN when she didn't know if they were involved or not. WHY would you automatically side with potential killers over your dead sister?  For all she knew, they were involved.  But, she didn't want to rule them out. She just wanted to shield them and look elsewhere.  To me that is very odd.  So, the fact that this defendant has charmed her to death is not a huge surprise.  It's pitiful, but not shocking.  Something in her core being seems amiss.

There are a lot women who get caught up with life time sentenced defendants and they live their life driving for visits, showing up for hearings, and paying for legal fees. They put money into their accounts so they can have the nice things in prison. I suspect she does all that for this man.   She says she doesn't know if he should ever leave prison, HOWEVER, active support and belief in him could impact his sentencing.  She seems awfully invested in this man in my eyes. 

• Love 6

I finally watched this last night, and I almost cheered when the mother said she did not forgive and she would not forget. Many people these days are into pressuring victims to forgive. "You have to forgive! You have to forgive!" Well, forgiveness must be a personal and strongly considered choice. No one has the right to demand forgiveness from another, certainly not from a victim. So, so, so glad the mother was strong enough to stand up for her own convictions and not be guilted by how her choice might appear in comparison to Jean's saintly crusade.

• Love 9