Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

There's a jerk! On the wing!!!

After I posted this, I realized that Shatner was on a plane, not on a train in this episode of The Twilight Zone. Yikes! I've been suffering from some bad insomnia this past week and I think it's turning my brain into Jell-o.

And because today is Halloween and Matthew loves Halloween and plays an avid book worm, our very own Dr. Spencer Reid, here is a Halloween-related post I wrote for my blog. Enjoy!

https://thebookselfblog.wordpress.com/2015/10/31/book-marks-special-halloween-edition/

• Love 1

Does anyone else feel that there is probably some connection to CM's less than stellar ratings and the fact more and more of the FB crowd now seem to be unhappy with it. I am not necessarily talking about the complaints against the newbie ,although there are plenty of them,but rather the show in general. I do find it rather ironic that some of them are just now starting to complain about things some of us have been complaining about for the last several seasons.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 3

I don't know, MMC, I can't stand going over there, it's hysterically loud and ridiculous for the most part. Are they saying things like too much unsub, and not enough team profiling?

There seems to be a lot of complaining about the writing in general. Some people are complaining that it has gotten boring and predictable. They were also saying something seems off this season. People are wanting to know did they get new writers. Someone made a comment about finding L&O:SVU to be better these days. There are a few people who still ask about JJ, but most people seem to know why the actress isn't  currently on the show at the moment.

• Love 2

someone else thinks JJ storylines are going to be horrid if the audience goes higher after AJ Cook came back? I'm crossing all my fingers here because I'm not saying it's not a factor, and it's ok, but there are a lot of Reid or Hotch fans who keep watching for that characters so my point is they are equals ergo not extra JJ adventures will be needed. At least, I hope so

• Love 3

someone else thinks JJ storylines are going to be horrid if the audience goes higher after AJ Cook came back? I'm crossing all my fingers here because I'm not saying it's not a factor, and it's ok, but there are a lot of Reid or Hotch fans who keep watching for that characters so my point is they are equals ergo not extra JJ adventures will be needed. At least, I hope so

Unfortunately if the ratings do go up significantly I wouldn't put it pass them to come to the conclusion that they had been right focusing on her so much and that they should continue to do so.They probably won't even consider for a moment that had either Hotch or Reid been absent for several episode it most likely also would of had an effect on the ratings.

• Love 1

I was thinking the same thing, CoStar.  I haven't been paying attention to the Elimination Game (because I can't stand the thought of adding another decision to my day), but I hope you all left The Fisher King in there.  I don't care if the plot doesn't make sense.  I just love those episodes!

• Love 2

Here is an article about the C3 and C7 numbers of shows on the various networks. The C stands for commercial.These are the numbers that actually determine whether or not a show is canceled or renewed.They are rarely publish because they are similar to a show's L+SD ratings.However sometimes a show will make significant gains in those numbers when compared to its Live + SD ratings. For CBS Criminal Minds and the new drama Limitless  are 2 of those shows.

http://adage.com/article/media/fox-abc-boast-biggest-lifts-c7/301137

can someone explain what is meant by all that? (the C3 C7 L+SD etc stuff). In regular people terms. :)

The C stands for commercial viewing,Basically what it does is measure the amount of commercials that are viewed during a show. This is important because advertisers need to know since they are the ones paying to keep these shows on the air. Unless of course a show is on a cable network that requires a paid subscription in order to view it.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 1

does this even take into consideration then, the number of us who PVR this for future viewing?  (because we're working, or it airs at the same time as  the hockey game or something like that. And in my case, except for 200 and Awake, I might wanna watch the episode again sometime. Or, in the case of Revelations, Amplification etc, I might wanna watch the episode repeatedly......)

• Love 1

does this even take into consideration then, the number of us who PVR this for future viewing?  (because we're working, or it airs at the same time as  the hockey game or something like that. And in my case, except for 200 and Awake, I might wanna watch the episode again sometime. Or, in the case of Revelations, Amplification etc, I might wanna watch the episode repeatedly......)

The only way you would be counted is if you were a part of the Nielsen Family. That is the segment of the population that's used to gauge the viewing habits of the American people. As far as episodes from the past they are only counted so far as a show's syndicated ratings go. Those are ratings for shows already in syndication. And what I mean by that are the reruns playing on different networks. In CM's case that would be ION Television And A&E.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 1

oh, I'd never be counted. I'm Canadian. We don't mean anything to the American broadcasters :)

yeah I had actually forgotten you were Canadian. I wouldn't exactly say you don't mean anything because they do make money off of shows in the foreign markets.Also as I understand it many Canadians feel that CM is just as much their show as it is the American's, Because, of the fact that the pilot Extreme Aggressor was filmed in Vancouver. And then of course AJ Cook herself is a Canadian.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 1

yeah I had actually forgotten you were Canadian. I wouldn't exactly say you don't mean anything because they do make money off of shows in the foreign markets.Also as I understand it many Canadians feel that CM is just as much their show as it is the American's, Because, of the fact that the pilot Extreme Aggressor was filmed in Vancouver. And then of course AJ Cook herself is a Canadian.

Well I won't speak for all other Canadians, but imo the pilot being filmed in Vancouver and AJC being Canadian aren't nearly enough to claim the show is even partly Canadian. As far as I'm concerned, it's an American show on an American network, and this is actually the first time I've ever heard somebody suggest otherwise.

There are plenty of Canadian actors out there, I don't think that makes anything they're in automatically part-Canadian.

Now something like Flashpoint, that's definitely Canadian! I'd also say that X-Company is, although it's not shot in Canada.

As an aside, I've always wondered how foreign ratings are determined and how they factor into a network's decision to continue to air a show.

In Canada, in most cases we get Canadian commericials, not the American ones, so if they do it based on how many people see the American commercials, we wouldn't factor in at all, and even if we happened to see the American commercials, it may not be possible for us to buy the product.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 1

And with Criminal Minds, it gets even trickier, because overseas, the show is an ABC property, and ABC gets all the international revenue. 

That said, I know networks DO take note of which shows do well overseas, but I can't see them keeping a show that is tanking in the US ratings, but still performing well overseas. 

yay! another Canadian!  O:-) 

Yeah, although we don't honestly matter to the advertisers, nicest thing I ever heard was from a Star Trek producer back in the Voyager days, that HE cared about the Canadian audience because per capita, there (were at the time) more Star Trek fans in Toronto Canada than anywhere else in the world. They loved us :D

Dunno about Criminal Minds fans, except that there must be a lot of us too, because CTV (who airs it here in Canada) gets tremendous ratings in Canada for it :)

• Love 2

I'm from Toronto...so that now makes three of us. :-p

(That I know)

As far as I know, Canadian ratings matter to Canadian advertisers, but Canada's population is so small that advertisers don't really concern themselves much with individual ratings, unless it's hockey because that's the only thing we Canadians watch at a noticeably sizeable level (compared to American broadcast standards). I don't know the ins and the outs of Canadian advertising, but from my own viewership experience, it seems like advertisers tend to spread their products across the networks instead of focusing on niches.

That said, there was one case of Canadian viewership affecting the production of an American show. Due South- with Canadian Paul Gross- was originally cancelled by CBS after three or four seasons before Canadian viewers- and other international viewers- wrote in droves which wound up saving the show up to its fifth season. Other than that, I've never heard of an American show that shifted to international production because it did well overseas but not in the U.S.

• Love 2

And with Criminal Minds, it gets even trickier, because overseas, the show is an ABC property, and ABC gets all the international revenue. 

That said, I know networks DO take note of which shows do well overseas, but I can't see them keeping a show that is tanking in the US ratings, but still performing well overseas. 

This is true. In fact both CSI:Miami and the original CSI were doing extremely well overseas when they got canceled. As a matter of fact CSI, along with NCIS and Criminal Minds, was nominated for an award known as The International Television Audience Award.A show has to be doing extremely well overseas to even get nominated for one of those and even more so to end up in the finals like those 3 shows did. Not surprisingly NCIS won the award since it is the most watched drama in the world.

I don't think imdb usually has extras, though. They're limited to main, recurring and guest cast. I'm not sure if there's a way to find out about the extras.

One of my family members is an extra in a bunch of TV shows, and his name isn't anywhere, even if you google his name alongside the TV show names.

• Love 1

Alas, not a happy Wednesday.

Well, it ended up being a happy Wednesday because Dr. Spencer Reid was all too willing to tend to Bookish Jen's wounds and in more ways than one.

"Happy Wednesday, my nerds!"

Not to steal the thunder from Bookish Jen, but someone shared this with me, and I thought you'd appreciate it. If only for the surprisingly in-time syncing.

Well, how dare you!!! Now excuse  me while I pout in a corner.

• Love 3

I keep wondering if CM writers are the ones doing the edits for A&E.  Who else would have been clueless enough to cut off half of Reid's conversation with Hotch at the end, thereby ruining one of the all time great episodes?

• Love 7

I keep wondering if CM writers are the ones doing the edits for A&E.  Who else would have been clueless enough to cut off half of Reid's conversation with Hotch at the end, thereby ruining one of the all time great episodes?

I think the people who do A & E's editing also do their scheduling. They went from Elephant's Memory to Magnum Opus, then aired Broken before showing Conflicted. It's enough to give you vertigo, if not whiplash.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 5

Yes, AJ probably feels the same way Jeanne felt when people were bullying her... JT ended up leaving the show. She probably felt like she was ruining the show, while the truth is: CM would still have 10M+ viewers if she stayed. Ratings went down down down when JLH showed up.

2013 >> about 11-12M people were watching CM every week

2014-2015 >> ratings went down to 8-9M

The season finale being about 'Kate&no1else' didn't help...

AJ and JLH are 2 very, very different souls. JLH is sure not hurt by these things (i've never seen any JLH hate tweets anyway..) but AJ has a soul and she cares about others, she wants to make the CM fans happy. She's smart and strong but even the smartest, strongest person on Earth would be crushed to read the terrible things that people choose to send her on twitter,fb and other sites.

Huh. So by the logic of the bolded parts, Jennifer either has no feelings or she has no soul? Interesting. When exactly is she supposed to have become a psychopath and/or vampire, or was she actually one all along and we just didn't know it?

More seriously, I think its worth noting that Tripplehorn stuck it out for two seasons of people bitching about her character's existence. Considering that MESSer actually wanted to work with Hewitt, it seems peculiar that she only hung around for one season. Blah-blah-pregnancy-cakes, fine, but AJ was pregnant as well, and yet Cook is still here and Hewitt isn't. Unless JLH is just so evil that she got knocked up on purpose so she could leave EM scrambling to find a replacement in Aisha Tyler, I should think they could have worked out a solution to keep her on the show.

As for the Twitter stuff, I think its worth noting that Joe stepped up and told the screaming Mimis there to stifle themselves.

When it gets bad enough that a seemingly easy-going guy like Joe gets involved to try calling a halt to it, somebody's feelings have been hurt somewhere. Never mind that Paget Brewster has said God knows however many times that she has no interest in coming back. Unless the implication is that Joe is caught up in the evil conspiracy Jennifer has masterminded, there's truth in the claims that the Twitter crowd has been balls-out hideous towards her.

• Love 7

I'm lucky I guess? I came into the CM fandom just this past February. It was actually Revelations that sealed it for me, and Reid has been my obvious favourite since the getgo. I didn't really have a problem with the fact that 'the dark haired woman' changed from episode to episode. A&E and Bravo were airing seasons 1 and 2 at the time, and CBS/CTV aired the 'new' season 10 ones. I was seeing Lola Glaudini, Paget Brewster, Jeanne Tripplehorn and JLH interchangeably all the time and while I liked Jeanne Tripplehorn the best of them, it didn't matter to me just so long as Reid was there. Similarly, I got used to Gideon and Rossi being swapped out from day to day.  Being from a police family, I was quite used to staff being transferred in and out of the departments and my husband is constantly getting used to new coworkers. I understand that some people will like <someone> better than <someone else> but to harass online and belittle and tell someone she's useless/worthless/doesn't fit in etc is just awful. 

I like Reid the best, but if he were to leave, I wouldn't be campaigning to get rid of his replacement. In all honesty, I'd just stop watching altogether. 

The Paget Brewster fanpeople have to realise that SHE left. SHE wanted out. It wasn't Jeanne Tripplehorn's fault she left. And it wasn't JLH's fault that Jeanne left. 

Or did I miss something?

• Love 4

In fairness, there are crazies on Twitter who are "balls-out hideous" towards pretty much everyone. But who knows how they feel about it. Maybe some days they laugh it off and others it might hurt their feelings. It seems to take a lot for someone to get blocked by one of the cast-- although it seems to be much easier to get blocked by the writers. I forget what it was someone said, but they got blocked by Virgil Williams because he can't handle constructive criticism.

I sometimes feel like the slot filled by the second female character is similar to the Defense Against Dark Arts teaching spot at Hogwarts. It seems to be cursed. LOL.

• Love 7