Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Maybe it's an inside joke amongst the cast to see how many people can use Soulmate in an interview. I'd laugh if the other guys started getting in on it. Because I can so see JB coming out with some crazy theory that MM & OQ are soulmates... DR would probably be soulmates with his Gloc.

I do think the usage of soulmates is over used in interviews and frankly overdone in the ARROWverse because there are barely any soulmates in these shows. Plus there is a certain romanticism to soulmates that these shows lack in spades.

• Love 1

Am I correct that Oliver not only travels to Detroit to get Vixen, he suits up and vigilantes around town while he's at it? That's hilarious. 

All while desperately yelling his desperation in a desperate search for HIS SON. 

A phone call would have gotten her there a lot faster. Just sayin'.

• Love 5

Progressive would have been leaving her in the wheelchair and then going through some of the issues that chair-bound people go through.  Although given how they treat other issues, perhaps we should be grateful that they didn't.

Agree it would have been progressive to keep her in the wheelchair. My post stated that the writers' believed their story was "progressive", when it was not.

I'm not sure they would have been good or bad at writing a progressive story on disability, but I would have preferred they never attempted the story if they never had any intention of actually seeing it through. I know this show plows through plot and I know they do not base their stories in realism anymore, but they do have the ability to make choices on what subject matter to explore. I just wish they would make better choices.

• Love 1

Personally I think EBR said they were soulmates because KC said that in her very recent interview. EBR wanted to set the record straight Felicity and Oliver are soulmates not Laurel and Ollie!  A little nudge if you will.

Edited by BunsenBurner

I especially love this part of the zap2it interview:

“It’s about weighing out what is important to you. Is this connection that you believe you may not find again with anybody else and that you don’t want to lose with this person — is that more important than risking again whatever value you hold so tightly that they keep making a mistake on?” Rickards asks. “Is it worth having that value crushed again and rebuilt? Is it possible it can be rebuilt? If it is possible for that wound to heal — potentially only to be broken into again — are you willing to risk it?”

It also makes me think that Oliver keeping his plan secret last year will be brought up, and that while Felicity was willing to put it aside, she suffered the blow just as much as Diggle did.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 12

Oh how I wish EBR would stick to rhapsodizing about Felicity's iconic lipstick instead of having such interesting interviews and insights into her character.  Surely, she knows we're more interested in how she feels about her character's preference for bright hues than we are in her lamenting the lack of time to honor the realities of the paralysis story or explain the complexities of a romantic relationship or exploring just how much one is willing to take from a soulmate. ;-)

[small voice]I actually am interested in her lipstick. Like, if the make up artist ever posted what she used, I would be on that in a hurry.

It also makes me think that Oliver keeping his plan secret last year will be brought up, and that while Felicity was willing to put it aside, she suffered the blow just as much as Diggle did.

Don't make me hope this storyline actually brings forth something emotionally relevant and impactful.
  • Love 4

I especially love this part of the zap2it interview:

“It’s about weighing out what is important to you. Is this connection that you believe you may not find again with anybody else and that you don’t want to lose with this person — is that more important than risking again whatever value you hold so tightly that they keep making a mistake on?” Rickards asks. “Is it worth having that value crushed again and rebuilt? Is it possible it can be rebuilt? If it is possible for that wound to heal — potentially only to be broken into again — are you willing to risk it?”

These are all really interesting questions and I'm glad Emily at least is seeing what a big deal this lie is and all the potential ramifications for her faith and trust in Oliver.

My question is what how will Oliver react to the lie reveal (at least once William is safe because I know that's the first priority)?

While Felicity is soul searching and weighing questions about love and trust and whether she can risk her heart on Oliver again, what will Oliver be doing? What's his thought process after it all comes out? Is he just going to promise that he'll never lie again? Does he think he's been 'lying'? Does he think he was wrong or are we still going to get the same I had no choice BS? I know he'l feel bad but is the story going to be about him working on not lying to the people he loves or will that be skipped over entirely and he'll simply ask for forgiveness? 

Per EBR's interview Felicity is going to have to decide if it's worth it to risk her herself and her heart again, which I'm confident she will...eventually. My question is who is Oliver asking her to take a risk on? A man who's learned his lesson and will never lie to her again? Or a man who was faced with no choice and did the best he could but is sorry he hurt her? 

• Love 12

It might as well be Oliver saying "I promise to never ever ever lie to you again ever", which is telling instead of showing storytelling, but it's also something this show does a lot. They can have an entire episode of people saying "no more lies" like they did with "it's my life, my choice" to make it rilly rilly clear that Oliver's done with lies, and so he will be.

I keep trying to come up with visual ways in which they can show Oliver gaining Felicity's trust again. That would mean the narrative needs to come up with something else that sets up Oliver to betray Felicity's trust, and then he decides to tell her anyway. Except I have no idea what that could be. I have no idea if there's even still time to do so this season.

To be fair, there also wasn't really time for an Al Sahim arc last season but they pushed through. These writers love jamming in entire half season or full seaon stories into very few episodes.

Oliver repeatedly said no lies in season 4A though (then again it was to Thea so maybe Felicity this time?), so hearing him say it again will just be same ol' same ol' for this viewer. Actions will speak louder than words in this way.

• Love 1

It might as well be Oliver saying "I promise to never ever ever lie to you again ever", which is telling instead of showing storytelling, but it's also something this show does a lot. They can have an entire episode of people saying "no more lies" like they did with "it's my life, my choice" to make it rilly rilly clear that Oliver's done with lies, and so he will be.

I keep trying to come up with visual ways in which they can show Oliver gaining Felicity's trust again. That would mean the narrative needs to come up with something else that sets up Oliver to betray Felicity's trust, and then he decides to tell her anyway. Except I have no idea what that could be. I have no idea if there's even still time to do so this season.

It's a sad commentary on the state of this SL and the writing on this show that at this point, I'd take the scenario that you described, which while cringeworthy seems to actually acknowledge that Oliver lied and that was t]he wrong option and so the after-school portion of the ep can conclude with him saying that he's learned his lesson and its never brought up again.

My concern is everything we've see ON and OFF SCREEN so far has been about how Oliver had no choice and it wasn't a lie but a promise TO THE MOTHER OF HIS CHILD and BM was just being a good mom and Oliver was just trying to have his son in his life.....soooo I don't see how we go from that to Oliver feeling that he's done something wrong and needs to either apologise or feeling like he needs to never do it again.

ITA with those who say that TPTB are using the romantic arc that was mapped out for O/L and is simply fitting Olicity into that SL without any thought as to whether it would make sense now, with this story and these characters. Again, as has been said before O/L were being portrayed as star crossed lovers and I'm worried that in view of how they've been talking about the secret that, that is how they are going to choose to portray it...not that Oliver messed up and so needs to re-learn a lesson that he's seemingly learned every season so far and that once he's able to prove that he won't lie again, he and Felicity will reunite but that these are two people in love being kept apart by fate and circumstance and in order for them to reunite no lessons need be learned at all.

• Love 4

I'm worried that in view of how they've been talking about the secret that, that is how they are going to choose to portray it...not that Oliver messed up and so needs to re-learn a lesson that he's seemingly learned every season so far and that once he's able to prove that he won't lie again, he and Felicity will reunite but that these are two people in love being kept apart by fate and circumstance and in order for them to reunite no lessons need be learned at all.

I think that might be what they're going for here, given MG/Thea's POV in the past episode. Oliver thought he was doing something wrong, and Thea convinced him he wasn't. Unless Oliver/the show has a change of heart and Felicity makes the argument that he could've told her anyway and maybe asks him why exactly he thinks that telling her about William would make William *less* safe, then I'm not really sure what lesson there is for Oliver to learn, since last episode the show told me that what he was doing was right.

• Love 5

It just occurred to me, that putting a prison for supervillains on a supermagicnoreallyflashbacksmatter island is...kind of a terrible idea? I mean Slade and Boomie scratch the wrong wall or meet a wight or whatever, and they're supervillains WITH MAGIC. 

I know he'l feel bad but is the story going to be about him working on not lying to the people he loves or will that be skipped over entirely and he'll simply ask for forgiveness?

If they do the politician/actor: "I'm sorry your feelings were hurt" non-apology apology, I will rage.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 3

OH, I'm sure they'll stick to the it's not a lie, it's a promise bullshit they made Thea say. That's why Thea said it. I only hope for two things here: 1. that they connect the kidnapping to the fact that Oliver lied [it can be one line, "if we knew about the kid we could have avoided this, Oliver"], and 2. that they do allow Felicity to feel hurt for being lied to, even if they write it so that she ~understands~ Oliver had to make ~a terrible~ choice.

I'm never gonna accept the premise of the storyline, so I'm resigned to not like the resolution either. I don't think ANY solution to this could be satisfying. Which is why I'm super duper rooting for reconciliation immediately after whoever dies. Maybe the loss makes Felicity go "life's too short, Oliver, let's start over, I forgive you" and that's it. And I freely admit, I'll take it. Because I know how void of joy this show is when O/F are at odds, and I don't wanna watch that again.

• Love 20

If they do the 100th episode cross-over wedding that everyone seems to want AND put the couple through this again next year - I don't think I'll be watching anymore.  Heck, I wouldn't watch anymore even if they weren't married - but if Oliver and Felicity get married - they better become like Diggle and Lyla.  Only external drama and together - they are a force to be reckoned with - I will accept nothing less.

• Love 3

I don't think there's going to be any satisfying conclusion to this dumb storyline. They've written it like Oliver is totally in the right for lying and Felicity will probably be vilified for being upset about being lied to but Oliver won't be the one who earns back her trust. He won't fight for her. Felicity will just decide she's ready to trust him again, probably after they've dealt with the fallout of whoever dies. It totally sucks but this is the way they've framed it. Woe is Oliver, only making a promise to the mother of his child! Aw!

So I'm with @dtissagirl. I'd rather they just resolve this reasonably quickly than watch O/F on the outs because that was one of my biggest issues with s3. O/F don't work when they're antagonistic. It's not who they are. And right now it's enough that Felicity will end things and take some time away to get her thoughts together. At least she won't be another Laurel, just letting it all slide and turning a blind eye. Silver linings and all that.

Edited by Guest

If they do the 100th episode cross-over wedding that everyone seems to want AND put the couple through this again next year - I don't think I'll be watching anymore.  Heck, I wouldn't watch anymore even if they weren't married - but if Oliver and Felicity get married - they better become like Diggle and Lyla.  Only external drama and together - they are a force to be reckoned with - I will accept nothing less.

I think everyone wants this. I don't know if I can take anymore contrived drama. But if they DO get married, I honestly feel like that's when the writers will stop trying to pull them apart again by creating forced drama and the only internal conflicts Oliver/Felicity will have are ones that normal married couples usually face. 

This season Oliver/Felicity got so much praise for how they were in 4A and I'm sure the writers will get flack from the media about this terrible storyline, so hopefully they learn from that and stop with all the contrived nonsense next season. 

• Love 7

I don't think Oliver will change.  There's at least two more seasons of stupid left.  I mean Oliver might "learn" his lesson for a few months.  Come next season, he will be stupid again.  They reminded us that the lesson of the day is: "Baby steps." - apparently we watching a toddler grow up to be a superhero in a man's body.  He probably won't learn his lesson until the last season.  After all, Guggenheim said that secrets and lies are their best storytelling tools [really, it boils down to their lack of creativity].

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 2

I don't really care about whether they get married in the crossover next year. If things were going well for them currently, I wouldn't care if they got married in episode 17 this year. I care about their relationship, which has been shown that it could be really excellent when it's allowed to be.

• Love 11

I don't really care about whether they get married in the crossover next year. If things were going well for them currently, I wouldn't care if they got married in episode 17 this year. I care about their relationship, which has been shown that it could be really excellent when it's allowed to be.

Same. I like the idea of a crossover 100th episode wedding, if that's where it's heading, because it's a good reason to have a crossover and then things can go crazy and fun. But I'm not championing it or anything. I actually never really wanted them to get engaged this soon. At this point I just want O/F to be well written. 

But really if they do eventually get married, they need to cut the crap. Arrow doesn't need to focus on the romance. It should just be a seamless part of the show. I thought they achieved that really well in 4a so it proves they can do it, whether they can maintain it is another story. 

Does that make it more likely they'll do this all again next season?

Theoretically we have one more season of planned O/L drama plots to somehow pretzel O/F into, so it's possible.

That being said it does seem like the writers did take some of the constructive criticism over the summer and make some improvements. So I'm hopefully the positive O/F critics & fans reception in 4a will influence them to drop whatever O/L plots have planned.

I think its pretty universal that no one outside of the writers room finds how this BMD story is being written a quality storyline or a good turn for the show. So if the writers can dampen their egos for a bit & recognize that contrived drama does not work for O/F we might have a chance. Contrived RP triangle did not work in s3. Now contrived BMD is not working in s4. Its more than a trend.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

If they do the 100th episode crossover wedding, they should have Slade come back to mess things up. I'm pretty sure that's what happened in the comics? And we all know Slade knows how much the girl with the glasses means to Oliver now.

Edited by Guest

I think they aren't aware of what they do. The fact they were so happy with the BMD is so telling. They said stuff like "I can't wait for the fans to see where we are taking them with this SL this year." Or talking about Olicity and BMD "it's going to be a beautiful and emotional journey for Oliver and Felicity." Now they are silent and WM refused to answer a direct question because they realized the audience didn't buy any of that. They thought it was great drama for the couple, which is baffling.

• Love 9

I'm worried that in view of how they've been talking about the secret that, that is how they are going to choose to portray it...not that Oliver messed up and so needs to re-learn a lesson that he's seemingly learned every season so far and that once he's able to prove that he won't lie again, he and Felicity will reunite but that these are two people in love being kept apart by fate and circumstance and in order for them to reunite no lessons need be learned at all.

It hurts me in my soul how much this makes sense in light of Guggie's "between a rock and a hard place" comments. All we see is lies and very illogical reasoning but in show external factors tear the soulmates apart.

• Love 2

Stephen's interview with IGN doesn't make me feel any better. I'll wait to see to judge, but it seems like most of the character stuff I'm interested in seeing is going to be rushed over in favor of him frantically looking for the kid. Which doesn't surprise me, but...eh.

• Love 1

I laughed at SA's commment about telling a story over 3 years and that most shows don't/can't do it.  I'm like what story did you tell?  You didn't do anything over 3 years you basically threw a ball in play once every 3 years and then forgot about it for the other 22 episode of each season.

• Love 21

I just don't care about Vixen.  Like, at all.  It seems like a terrible idea to stuff her in this particular episode when the BM drama stuff is going to explode.  I feel like people's reactions to her will be buried in the rage over the BM stuff/Olicity breakup.  Don't care because I don't want another spinoff anyways.

Today is the last day of shooting episode 418.  If this is the death episode, I'm curious to see what happens on various cast member's social media accounts in the next few weeks.  

• Love 9

Basically nobody I've heard of gives one tiny crap about the kid. Most were set to resent him, then they had him act like a weird little 9-year-old toddler in the three seconds we saw him, gave him a horrible lying hag of a mother, and kept him offscreen (which I'm totally fine with, but that's not gonna help the audience care about him). So a frantic search for a dumb kid I'd be very happy never to see or hear referenced ever again? Lord no. In fact, DD can keep him, offscreen, forever. Make him a ghost. Literally don't care what happens to the dumb kid so have less than zero interest in the search for him.

• Love 4

It hurts me in my soul how much this makes sense in light of Guggie's "between a rock and a hard place" comments. All we see is lies and very illogical reasoning but in show external factors tear the soulmates apart.

WM had posed the question "can people really change?" this season.  The answer would be some people do, otherwise there wouldn't be a show.  The big question is when.  She had mentioned fallout and consequences, which leads me to believe that she does think that Oliver has to learn from this mistake, and that it is not simply because of circumstances.  Hopeful that Oliver grows up this season, for good.  Maybe wishful thinking...

I do think it's funny though that they feel like they have to write a convoluted BMD so that Oliver can jeopardize a relationship with his son and his future wife in order for him to finally see - oh, lying is really bad and I shouldn't do it ever again.

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 5
Yeah, for fans of the show and people who remember dialogue, there is a very interesting and I think appropriate callback to what happened before Barry altered the timeline a little bit that shows things do come to their inevitable conclusion, regardless of how long you put them off.

I knew that "breakup" dialogue in 408 was too abrupt. MG wrote something specifically to bring it back here, so everyone get pumped for "you don't trust me, you don't love me" because it's comin' back!

• Love 6

I laughed at SA's commment about telling a story over 3 years and that most shows don't/can't do it.  I'm like what story did you tell?  You didn't do anything over 3 years you basically threw a ball in play once every 3 years and then forgot about it for the other 22 episode of each season.

SMH. I can think of a dozen shows that have done that. Shows that have done that well too.

I knew that "breakup" dialogue in 408 was too abrupt. MG wrote something specifically to bring it back here, so everyone get pumped for "you don't trust me, you don't love me" because it's comin' back!

I hated that line. I hated that scene. Everything was off. The writing, the acting.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 8

Same. I like the idea of a crossover 100th episode wedding, if that's where it's heading, because it's a good reason to have a crossover and then things can go crazy and fun. But I'm not championing it or anything. I actually never really wanted them to get engaged this soon. At this point I just want O/F to be well written. 

But really if they do eventually get married, they need to cut the crap. Arrow doesn't need to focus on the romance. It should just be a seamless part of the show. I thought they achieved that really well in 4a so it proves they can do it, whether they can maintain it is another story. 

But see the 100th cross over episode will basically be in 5A.  And while I can't remember if this was true in season two - for the last two seasons, the show seems to write Oliver smarter and better in the first half of the season than the last.  So I can totally see them getting married in an A part of the season - rather it's season five or six.  What I'm saying is that if they do that, they better not play break up games in he B part of that season because I don't think I can take it anymore.

• Love 2

Holy cow they are screwing over Felicity.  The dialogue in 4x8 was too abrupt and harsh.  And Oliver in his stupid face just staring straight ahead while she yelled at him in an overly bitter, hateful tone.  He didn't even utter the words - I just found out. 

So joy this time we get to hear Felicity say things that kind of do apply now, but we also get to see Oliver's puppy dog, sad face while she does it.   I can only hope they let her deliver the lines calmly, preferably in the wheelchair (so no one can say she only dumped him because she can walk again) and with a bit of hurt on her own face.  I swear if they turn this whole break up into a "poor Ollie" routine - I might not be able to finish the season.

I have a teenage stepson who watches and if he comes to me and asks me why Felicity is being such a bitch - I'm going to bang my head against a wall.

He's gonna go with "if you loved me, you'd trust me". Yup.

But hey, Steve's interview gave me a teeny tiny glimpse of hope that BM and kid WILL be shipped off to Mandyville for the time being.

Yikes. Whereas EBR's interview was really insightful and hopeful, SA's filled me with nothing but dread. But hey, as long as he's proud of that crappy mess of a storyline. *shakes head*

Holy cow they are screwing over Felicity.  The dialogue in 4x8 was too abrupt and harsh.  And Oliver in his stupid face just staring straight ahead while she yelled at him in an overly bitter, hateful tone.  He didn't even utter the words - I just found out. 

The thing is, in the first timeline, Oliver did have a chance to say something.  He had enough time to come up with an outright lie and he said that the DNA thing was related to Damian Darkh investigation, when he could have easily been upfront with her and said that he still reeling from the situation - a situation that he is either not ready to explain or that it is something he is obligated to not tell her about, but assure her that it is not dangerous, it's simply he cannot explain it right now.  So I do think Felicity was warranted in getting mad at him when he made an outright lie about Damian Darkh to her face when she clearly presented evidence otherwise.  With the outright lie, it was clearly a breach of trust.

Maybe I'm a bad person or something, but I would definitely get mad at my husband if he just lied to my face and there would be yelling - I definitely wouldn't mince words.

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 13

The sad thing is SA probably was excited about being a dad on the show and yet they chose to show none of that and instead focused on the most pointless lie ever known. William became a plot point rather than a character.

I mean, if they wanted me to care about William (and Oliver's relationship with him) they might have shown him with Oliver for more than 30 seconds. But they didn't so I DON'T CARE. JUST GO AWAY, CHILD. 

The only hope I got from that interview is that Felicity will wait until William is safe before breaking up with Oliver and I guess that's the best I can hope for in all of this mess. *weary sigh*

Edited by Guest

I just don't care about Vixen.  Like, at all.  It seems like a terrible idea to stuff her in this particular episode when the BM drama stuff is going to explode.  I feel like people's reactions to her will be buried in the rage over the BM stuff/Olicity breakup.  Don't care because I don't want another spinoff anyways.

This character is going to have to be really engaging, very quickly to get me to care about her. Arrow doesn't have a great track record with that. It takes a really good, charismatic guest star to overcome the crappy writing - JR Bourne, please return! I'd be surprised if I was hoping for a spin off with Vixen after tonight. 

ETA: I've just decided I don't care if SA wants to play a dad. Find a movie to do that in. It's a fail of a story on Arrow, and he is punishing me by making me watch it. #cranky

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 3

The only hope I got from that interview is that Felicity will wait until William is safe before breaking up with Oliver and I guess that's the best I can hope for in all of this mess. *weary sigh*

I am pretty sure that Felicity waits until the end of the episode.  The last time Oliver thought she broke up with him, everyone died.  The kid will be saved, so Oliver must have had his head in the game and Felicity breaks up with him at the end.

I mean, if they wanted me to care about William (and Oliver's relationship with him) they might have shown him with Oliver for more than 30 seconds. But they didn't so I DON'T CARE. JUST GO AWAY, CHILD.

I agree completely that they didn't do enough to make me care about Oliver and baby mama now being frantic to find William. All I see is a big explosion waiting to happen because of a ridiculous lie. If they didn't forget about William until last episode and showed Oliver at least over-the-phone trying to convince baby mama to tell Felicity, I might care. But I don't.

I'm waiting with glee to see Laurel's reaction after doing some math though. Something to look forward to.

• Love 5

Don't make me hope this storyline actually brings forth something emotionally relevant and impactful.

The hope I felt when I wrote that post has evaporated after reading Stephen's interview. I won't make that mistake again.

WM refused to answer a direct question because they realized the audience didn't buy any of that. They thought it was great drama for the couple, which is baffling.

Which question?

I have never dreaded an  episode more than I do this. I just want it over with.

Edited by looptab
  • Love 2

Laurel's reaction - blank stare and crossed arms.

Felicity convinces Oliver to bring in Vixen. They are going to save the kid and then everything that Felicity is holding in is going to come out at the end of the episode. I certainly is a repeat of that trust/love line, but based off of what SA says I don't think it will be delivered that same way.

Really have no desire to watch this episode. It may be another Canaries. As in I pretend it never happened.

• Love 3

So after reading the IGN interview, does anyone else get the impression that these Central City visits might become a thing? that William and mom won't be getting shipped off somewhere even though she knows his secret now?...please reassure me that we won't be hearing about BM in a long time after this... 

please reassure me that we won't be hearing about BM in a long time after this... 

Probably not because this is just the best storyline ever!!! Ever!!! I do get that they have to sell it but seriously just because an actor enjoys fatherhood doesn't mean that his character should a) be one b) be good at it and c) make for a super awesome storyline. I mean it can be well done but in this case it just isn't and I am really annoyed that they are selling it as hard as they are. 

• Love 5

The hope I felt when I wrote that post has evaporated after reading Stephen's interview. I won't make that mistake again.

Which question?

I have never dreaded an  episode more than I do this. I just want it over with.

In an interview, I think with TV Line but I'm not 100% sure, they asked her about the BMD and her answer was "Oh, no, I can't talk about that!"

• Love 1