Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

My biggest fear is that they'll do something to revisit Oliver's decision to be Oliver Queen. Somehow Felicity gets hurt and Oliver regresses back to his dark and broody self who questions the relationship. Because I am still not sure where they want to take the relationship. So far O/F work really well as a couple and even people who don't like them can live with the relationship the way it is currently portrayed. So are they heading towards a split or are they seriously getting married? Because these seem to be the only options if Felicity gets to see another season. Frankly, I don't think they'd be stupid enough to let EBR go. She is the breakout star of the show. All the other spinoffs can use her effortlessly in their stories. Letting her go would not do the show any favors but then again I don't know what goes through the minds of a producer. 

• Love 2

I love christmas music over something tragic and brutal. The contrast works well. The scene on TVD when Klaus was slaughtering his hybrids with a sword and Oh Holy Night was playing in the background was crazy effective. I know it's not The West Wing, but TVD had its moments. LOL

I know some of us were speculating Laurel would be Ghosted, but KC's non-answer to a storyline seems to take that speculation off the table. Her answer sounded like she was told "We are focusing on other characters this season, but you will get a storyline in S5 if we don't kill off your character." 

• Love 2

https://twitter.com/pierce_angelus/status/668396225444450305

[West Wing used it for a funeral, Steve. It's already ruined.]

[/slightly off topic  AUUGH THIS SONG. What sort of sick, sick person thinks it's appropriate to play a loud DRUM SOLO in front of an exhausted new mother and her newborn? I don't care if it's a small kid; some adult should have stepped in and stopped that immediately.]

Ruin away, Arrow. Ruin away.

• Love 1

I think it depends on what Christmas song they use over a tragic scene for it to be really effective/emotional and Little Drummer Boy is kind of a random choice to me. I wonder what version they'll use. 

It's pretty much confirmed that Felicity will probably die for a few, or at the very least get seriously hurt in 4x09. A couple episodes later in 4x11, she gets a code name. It sounds like they are giving her a mini-crucible to earn a codename. Because all she has already done and common sense aren't enough I guess.

I'm really curious about the special effects-techy stuff in 4x11. What episode was the seismic change in?

409 is the seismic change.

I don't understand the tweet about the technical scene. Is he saying it was a SFX/CGI scene with motion capture? Until someone pointed out he was the Arrow tech guy, I thought he was an actor talking about a technical exposition scene.

She's not going to die, die. I don't think (hope) they will go to the fake death again (like 309, too soon). I can see gravely injured or disappeared/missing until 410.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

But it so beautiful. The West Wing remains the best damn show I've ever watched.

Seriously, the BEST SHOW EVER!!  So many touching & poignant moments. Plus some pretty damn funny ones. That little drummer boy music over the scene was so beautiful. The way they used music in that series was definitely a testament to power of music. So many good songs & original pieces matched against some amazing acting. I still think in "Two Cathedrals" when they featured the song "Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits, was perhaps the best combination of music, editing, directing & acting.

I really do think the writers are trying to play homage to their love of West Wing with some of what they are doing this season & in previous seasons. There are a lot of similarities.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

Could it be that they are working visual effects on 409 now? 

The visual effect is for 4x11. They were tweeting as they were filming the scene. Took a bit too (Thursday and Friday).

409 is the seismic change.

I don't understand the tweet about the technical scene. Is he saying it was a SFX/CGI scene with motion capture? Until someone pointed out he was the Arrow tech guy, I thought he was an actor talking about a technical exposition scene.

She's not going to die, die. I don't think (hope) they will go to the fake death again (like 309, too soon). I can see gravely injured or disappeared/missing until 410.

I mean more like, she may flatline or something. 

I got the impression from the tweets it was something visual. The Tech Guy singled out EBR in his later tweet about the scene, so I think she is the only one involved. They also mentioned a personal story so I'm thinking it doesn't have anything to do with DD, but something to do with Felicity's health. If she is in a wheelchair or temporarily paralyzed, I'm wondering if the scene involves her walking or developing something to heal herself. I totally got that scene from the Little Mermaid where her dad gives her her legs back and they are all glowy in my head.

Here are some of the tweets about the scene:

Brian Ford Sullivan ‏@briforsul  Nov 19

About to attempt one of the most experimental shots we've ever done in the history of #Arrow. And then repeat it a bunch more on Friday.

33 retweets 68 likes

Brian Ford Sullivan ‏@briforsul  Nov 20

I have never seen our VFX supervisor @jldinsdale more excited than he is right now. It's very cool watching all of this come together.

• Love 1

Could it be that they are working visual effects on 409 now? 

Well, they most likely ARE, but what I took from the tweets from both Brian Ford Sullivan and the visual effects supervisor was that they were both on set, and the scene they were shooting involved some sort of technology that's gonna give personal development to a character [per was BFS's tweet]. And that character is Felicity [per VFX guy talking specifically about EBR].

• Love 5

Well, they most likely ARE, but what I took from the tweets from both Brian Ford Sullivan and the visual effects supervisor was that they were both on set, and the scene they were shooting involved some sort of technology that's gonna give personal development to a character [per was BFS's tweet]. And that character is Felicity [per VFX guy talking specifically about EBR].

Yeeeeesssssss

(essssssssssss)

• Love 3

So they're going to injure Felicity in 409, have her hospitalized in 410 and possibly paralyzed in 410/411 then she gets Lana Lang's Kryptonite based supersuit (flesh/mesh) thingy?

This way they get their "Oracle" homage (ripoff) and she's now worthy of a codename/mask?

Edited by Morrigan2575

I love christmas music over something tragic and brutal. The contrast works well. The scene on TVD when Klaus was slaughtering his hybrids with a sword and Oh Holy Night was playing in the background was crazy effective. I know it's not The West Wing, but TVD had its moments. LOL

I know some of us were speculating Laurel would be Ghosted, but KC's non-answer to a storyline seems to take that speculation off the table. Her answer sounded like she was told "We are focusing on other characters this season, but you will get a storyline in S5 if we don't kill off your character." 

Gotta say... I sorta enjoy the juxtaposition as well. Scandal just did a beautiful song over some pretty controversial, dramatic, tragic & beautiful scenes in their Winter Finale. But because of the subject material they are getting a lot of heat for the choice of song & scenes. I think in general Shondaland Shows do a good job of using music to help tell their stories. It's more than just here is a popular song, go buy it. There is actually thought put into the song choice.

I take KC's response for what its worth. An actor hoping that they have a story for her. TPTB are probably telling her that they are working on something. Although why she would trust TPTB after how they have handled some of her story, is beyond me. But a job is a job, so you have to accept certain things from the Bosses. I don't think it changes any of the speculation or any of her odds about being in the grave or not. S5 is a long ways away. I'm sure they promised CH & CD a story as well in future seasons and we all see the extent of those stories. ST is the only one that took her departure at face value and politely seems to negate any offers to return as we talked about a few months ago.

So they're going to injure Felicity in 409, have her hospitalized in 410 and possibly paralyzed in 410/411 then she gets Lana Lang's Kryptonite based supersuit (flesh/mesh) thingy?

This way they get their "Oracle" homage (ripoff) and she's now worthy of a codename/mask?

If she's paralyzed, I imagine it's going to last a little while longer. Maybe the tech scene is the beginning of whatever it is that helps her walk again? 

But, maybe it would just be a one-two ep thing, which seems terribly pointless. 

I can buy that they're gonna give Felicity a temporary paralysis storyline because Oracle, but otoh, it's kinda super weird that IT JUST HAPPENED on Flash like, last week?

I can't imagine that any paralysis with Felicity would stick, and this universe needs to start really thinking about this kind of thing, because if it happens, this will be the third person between the two shows to be in a wheelchair. Granted, one was fake and one was temporary, but if this one is temporary too, then...they really need to be careful with that. 

• Love 2

I can buy that they're gonna give Felicity a temporary paralysis storyline because Oracle, but otoh, it's kinda super weird that IT JUST HAPPENED on Flash like, last week?

That's why I really don't think they'll go there at all with Felicity but everyone else (everywhere I go) seems to accept Felicity paralysis story as fact

If she's paralyzed, I imagine it's going to last a little while longer. Maybe the tech scene is the beginning of whatever it is that helps her walk again?

But, maybe it would just be a one-two ep thing, which seems terribly pointless.

I don't see it lasting very long at all. For one thing, I don't see The CW signing off on a permanent or even semi long-term basis. I also don't see them planning on a long term story since 2 of Felicity's 3 major sets aren't wheelchair accessible. The loft has stairs to the bedroom areas, the lair has stairs everywhere and Felicity's work station is on an elevated platform. Pretty sure that a long term or permanent paralysis storyline would have been discussed in the design stage to avoid extra costs.

Due to Oracle, paralysis is the easy answer but there are other reasons someone could be in a wheelchair.

I had a friend in a bad car accident that put her in a wheelchair for six months. It was do to massive damage to her legs. Her foot had to be reattached and one knee cap had twisted almost completely around. 

It could be that Felicity loses a limb and gets bionic. 

I don't see it lasting very long at all. For one thing, I don't see The CW signing off on a permanent or even semi long-term basis. I also don't see them planning on a long term story since 2 of Felicity's 3 major sets aren't wheelchair accessible. The loft has stairs to the bedroom areas, the lair has stairs everywhere and Felicity's work station is on an elevated platform. Pretty sure that a long term or permanent paralysis storyline would have been discussed in the design stage to avoid extra costs.

*If* a paralysis story is in the works, then I don't think the loft is much of an issue. Oliver could carry her up the stairs to bed, or they could set up a bed for her on the main level. In fact, it makes sense to me that they'd do this, since this happens in real life, too, when people are faced with unexpected illness/impairment. And aren't the only stairs in the lair the ones that go up to her workstation? There's an elevator to access the space, and they could easily build a ramp so she could get to her computers. 

If they go the paralysis route and it's supposed to be a personal story for her, I just don't see the point in doing it at all if it's only going to last for an episode or two. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

That's why I really don't think they'll go there at all with Felicity but everyone else (everywhere I go) seems to accept Felicity paralysis story as fact

Oh, I totally still need more evidence. Also wheelchair =/= paralysis. For all we know, Felicity breaks a leg and then develops a groundbreaking new cast riddled with those nanites that can heal bones in  like, 2 days, and this is what ultimately that saves Palmer Tech.

• Love 4

Due to Oracle, paralysis is the easy answer but there are other reasons someone could be in a wheelchair.

I had a friend in a bad car accident that put her in a wheelchair for six months. It was do to massive damage to her legs. Her foot had to be reattached and one knee cap had twisted almost completely around. 

It could be that Felicity loses a limb and gets bionic.

I don't know how I feel about Felicity losing a limb and going Bionic. I had a thought the other day about her being the first member of Team Arrow to become Metahuman but they probably won't go there

Oh, I totally still need more evidence. Also wheelchair =/= paralysis. For all we know, Felicity breaks a leg and then develops a groundbreaking new cast riddled with those nanites that can heal bones in  like, 2 days, and this is what ultimately that saves Palmer Tech.

I think it's the type of wheelchair that has people thinking she's paralyzed. There aren't any handles on the back or any footrests. That's the kind of wheelchair someone uses when they're going to be in one for a while. If it is Felicity's, it's probably for more than a broken leg. 

• Love 2

*If* a paralysis story is in the works, then I don't think the loft is much of an issue. Oliver could carry her up the stairs to bed, or they could set up a bed for her on the main level. In fact, it makes sense to me that they'd do this, since this happens in real life, too, when people are faced with unexpected illness/impairment. And aren't the only stairs in the lair the ones that go up to her workstation? There's an elevator to access the space, and they could easily build a ramp so she could get to her computers.

If they go the paralysis route and it's supposed to be a personal story for her, I just don't see the point in doing it at all if it's only going to last for an episode or two.

My point was that this was a TV Show, they would have known that there was a "paralysis" or some sort of long term "wheelchair" story planned out. Therefore, they wouldn't have built/designed a set with stairs. There's no real need for stairs in the lair other than esthetics. Same with the Loft set, if they knew Felicity was going to be in a wheelchair (long term) they wouldn't have put them in the Loft set, they could have repurposed/redressed Laurel's apartment, Felicity's apartment, whatever they used for Palmer's apartment, etc.

Actually, now that I think about it, even the PT/Curtis set isn't very conducive for filming wheelchair scenes as most of the tables/equipment etc are elevated, it would probably make it difficult to block her shots.

But since I really don't think they're going with anything long term and I doubt they're doing a paralysis storyline anyway. I don't really see tge point in continuing this discussion. Just agree to disagree.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

I can't go down this rabbit hole of what are they going to do with FS. It's going to be bad. It's going to be tragic and dark. It's going to be temporary. It's probably also going to be predictable and borrow heavily from other TV shows. Heck them doing it on FLASH makes me think they are even more inclined to do it on ARROW. I can almost hear the JINX moment over a puff pastry in the writers rooms during shared meetings. Bonus, they already have a wheelchair on set and in the prop department.

I just need more legit info & spoilers before I engage in another round of "As the World Turns in the Arrow Fandom" rabbit hole descent of angst. Lastly, I just hope they do a respectful and good job at whatever story they proceed to tell. Especially if they are going anywhere near Paralysis, Miscarriages and Disabilities.

• Love 1

My point was that this was a TV Show, they would have known that there was a "paralysis" or some sort of long term "wheelchair" story planned out. Therefore, they wouldn't have built/designed a set with stairs. There's no real need for stairs in the lair other than esthetics. Same with the Loft set, if they knew Felicity was going to be in a wheelchair (long term) they wouldn't have put them in the Loft set, they could have repurposed/redressed Laurel's apartment, Felicity's apartment, whatever they used for Palmer's apartment, etc.

Actually, now that I think about it, even the PT/Curtis set isn't very conducive for filming wheelchair scenes as most of the tables/equipment etc are elevated, it would probably make it difficult to block her shots.

I'm not saying long-term, though? I'm saying more than one episode, maybe five or six, until sometime in the spring. Not permanent. So I don't see why temporary work-arounds are out of the realm of possibility. 

There just isn't much of a story to be told in her losing any kind of physical function for an ep or two.

Edited by apinknightmare

This is the crack team of writers who didn't even know they were killing Oliver in 3x09 till late in the planning process. I'm not sure how much thought went into whatever happens to Felicity.

I know they aren't calling Felicity Oracle but if they did go that route, I would say comics mean nothing to them anymore and Laurel is in the grave. The whole reason Laurel is BC is because of her name, so if Felicity Smoak can become Oracle..

That being said, I don't want Oracle or a homage to her. I'm just in "Wait and See, Wait and See".

Edited by 10Eleven12

This is the crack team of writers who didn't even know they were killing Oliver in 3x09 till late in the planning process. I'm not sure how much thought went into whatever happens to Felicity.

I know they aren't calling Felicity Oracle but if they did go that route, I would say comics mean nothing to them anymore and Laurel is in the grave. The whole reason Laurel is BC is because of her name, so if Felicity Smoak can become Oracle..

That being said, I don't want Oracle or a homage to her. I'm just in "Wait and See, Wait and See".

i thought SA said he knew Oliver was being killed off in 309 over the summer?

I easily could be misremembering it, but I could have sworn MG said that they decided to kill off Oliver late.

I will try and find the quote. MG talks a lot, so it may take some time.

Edited by 10Eleven12

I easily could be misremembering it, but I could have sworn MG said that they decided to kill off Oliver late.

I will try and find the quote. MG talks a lot, so it may take some time.

I just found an article where SA said he found out at the end of June/Early July. It'll be interesting to see if MG said something different.

Found it! Here is the interview:

http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/arrow-finale-will-blow-up-the-show.html#

I quoted the relevant part:

There’s evolution, but there’s also flexibility, which I think Arrow does really well — like choosing to make Emily Bett Rickards a series regular in season one. What kind of flexibility was there in season three? Where did you deviate from the plan?
The idea of having Oliver be stabbed and kicked off a mountain [in the mid-season finale] — that wasn’t part of the game plan. That was something that was a relatively late discovery for us.  The season ends the way we had always anticipated and planned out, but our route getting there was a little different.

Huh, so maybe they meant the specific of the death vs just a general death? I don't know, I don't know how to correlate SA saying he found out in June/July and MG saying that was a late plan.

I'll be honest, I'd believe SA over MG but, I guess they aren't mutually exclusive scenarios?

From the BTS thread:

-- SA still doesn't know who's in the grave.  When he shot the scene, he only knew two things: the person he wanted to kill was a "him", and the person in the grave was someone he cared a lot about.

• Oliver doesn't care about Quentin THAT much, not that I know of.
  • The character is prominent.

So taking Quentin out of the equation, all who's left is Diggle, Laurel, or Thea.

And since Laurel is pretty much the only person who doesn't have anything going on and is receiving lukewarm reception/indifference (which is apparently what the writers try to avoid the most)...

This is me being hopeful. And I hate being hopeful with this show. 

• Love 5

Huh, so maybe they meant the specific of the death vs just a general death? I don't know, I don't know how to correlate SA saying he found out in June/July and MG saying that was a late plan.

I'll be honest, I'd believe SA over MG but, I guess they aren't mutually exclusive scenarios?

It probably depends on how long it takes them to map out a season and when they started. Did they wait for S2 to end before they started the S3 planning or did they start in early spring? If they did have their endpoint and manage plot points done by the Summer or when the season started at least, than the fact that they are writing 4x14 now and they are still saying they don't know who is in the grave is crazy. 

From the BTS thread:

So taking Quentin out of the equation, all who's left is Diggle, Laurel, or Thea.

And since Laurel is pretty much the only person who doesn't have anything going on and is receiving lukewarm reception/indifference (which is apparently what the writers try to avoid the most)...

Well you know what they say, Hope for Best and a Bottle of Wine for the Worst. 

Ugh. Can't say I'm too keen on even a temporary paralysis storyline. I'm too afraid that it will turn into some cheesy, Matthew-Crawley-suddenly-springs-from-a-wheelchair kind of thing.

At least Matthew Crawley had poor medical standards, lack of decent radiographic imagery and other things to sell the story. There is really a fine line they are gonna have to walk to make this story authentic and respectful in the current setting.

• Love 1

From the BTS thread:

And I'm almost always cynical, so my response is that the show thinks Oliver cares about Quentin a great deal. Remember how he's always been there for the Queens, including after Moira died??? Remember how Oliver always looked up to him and wanted his approval??? No? Well, the show does. And since that episode, Oliver and Quentin have been pretty chummy with each other and I'm sure that will continue this season. We're supposed to see Quentin as a surrogate father figure to Oliver, now that they're back on good terms. We might not, but that's the line MG and the gang are selling, and they're the ones who would have given SA that direction, so I don't think we can rule Quentin out at all.

• Love 10

From the BTS thread:

But OQ does care a lot about QL he basically told him a few episodes ago during their apt scene and indirectly has been showing it since s1... Never mind, the I love your family in the Paddy Wagon. YMMV, I personally believe that OQ has always cared about QL from s1 and that is also what the show wants us to believe. TQ's overselling of the relationship aside, I think there has been a genuine bond between OQ & QL from s1.

So it really is no new information. Everybody "prominent" it still technically on the playing board.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

And I'm almost always cynical, so my response is that the show thinks Oliver cares about Quentin a great deal. Remember how he's always been there for the Queens, including after Moira died??? Remember how Oliver always looked up to him and wanted his approval??? No? Well, the show does. And since that episode, Oliver and Quentin have been pretty chummy with each other and I'm sure that will continue this season. We're supposed to see Quentin as a surrogate father figure to Oliver, now that they're back on good terms. We might not, but that's the line MG and the gang are selling, and they're the ones who would have given SA that direction, so I don't think we can rule Quentin out at all.

Legitimately every single character in the show has completely forgotten the manhunt.  And in 4.7 Oliver was all intense about QL being in danger.  I think Quentin is the exact perfect amount of care for what we saw at the grave.  Thea/Felicity/kid/Digg would devastate him.  Baby Mama would mean major guilt.  Roy would be guilt and I think more sadness, plus the audience probably barely remembers Roy.  Even Lyla would cause more guilt.  

It's totally Quentin.  Again, which real deaths have actually been surprising?

But, if it's Laurel, party's at my house.

• Love 10

I remember the manhunt. Pretty sure the show does too. I also think the Queens are just a very forgiving breed of person. Plus I feel like there are extenuating circumstances that pushed QL to start the manhunt in the first place. And a lot of that blame falls on Ras & LL. So if other people can be forgiven for extenuating circumstances, then I can't see why OQ or even TQ would forgive him for the manhunt. Plus for all the bad that OQ has done, he probably has to believe that people can be forgiven for mistakes made under duress circumstances.

I do wonder what Roy's return will mean and how that will play out with QL.

ugh all of you just killed my dreams.

And honestly I don't know why Oliver's so chummy with Quentin. He's been TERRIBLE to Oliver AND the team. HE is a huge reason why Roy had to flee, leave his loved ones, stop doing something that gives his life meaning. WHY would he care deeply about Quentin after all that???? Oliver has ZERO ties with Quentin now. So what is the deal???? It's just so forced

• Love 6

I think the show believes Oliver cares about Quentin even though all they do is show he should just cut both him and Laurel out of his life for good.But I think they're building their relationship up so Quentin can be that police connection that is close to Oliver and the team and probably a kind of a father figure to Oliver in the future.It also works if they're setting him up to die but I don't think thats what they're doing so far.

• Love 1

I remember the manhunt. Pretty sure the show does too. I also think the Queens are just a very forgiving breed of person. Plus I feel like there are extenuating circumstances that pushed QL to start the manhunt in the first place. And a lot of that blame falls on Ras & LL. So if other people can be forgiven for extenuating circumstances, then I can't see why OQ or even TQ would forgive him for the manhunt. Plus for all the bad that OQ has done, he probably has to believe that people can be forgiven for mistakes made under duress circumstances.

I totally disagree.  No one has so much as mentioned it or snarked at Quentin about it once.  NO ONE.  And Digg, for example, took months and Oliver taking a knife-like throwing card to the chest to forgive Oliver, and wrote off his own actual bio brother in two seconds...but he forgives Quentin for trying to send his whole team/quasi-family to prison without so much as a "My bad!" from Quentin?

The only Lance that Oliver has any connection to is Sara. The other two he can walk away from without a second glance. 

That is how YOU feel, and for the record, I totally agree.  But the show does not.  For whatever reason, the show believes Oliver cares deeply about Quentin and Laurel.

Oh, and I  believe Laurel's late 4B story, at least, will be reacting to Quentin's death.  It would even sort of fit with what KC is saying about having a storyline delayed from S3, because I'm pretty sure Quentin has been on the list of death possibilities for awhile.  In nearly every father/son dramatic story, either the father figure or the son figure dies.  Yes, it is repetitive; yes, it is uninteresting.  But when has that stopped this show from doing it?  (Plus, maybe they'll add a twist somehow, have her actually go temp dark or something.)

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1