Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Extreme Measures

PinkRibbons

NOTE: Reign airs on Thursdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Friday night to view the new episode.

When King Antoine unexpectedly returns to Court, Mary must help Francis hide his weakening condition long enough to secure his family's future. With the Throne in jeopardy and time running out, they must turn to an unlikely ally in need of redemption.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2HBx8OkKxY

Wow...talk about plot movement. I got whiplash following the Lola and Narcisse stuff. Jaw dropped when we were suddenly at their wedding. I know Catherine is totally going to ruin things by letting her know Narcisse put the rat in her tub, but this was just about a perfect hour, from Francis ailing, to Catherine coming back to power, even enjoying Claude and Leith. Just wish Bash would dump his stupid plot nobody cares about and join the rest of the show. Going to watch this one again. :)

• Love 2

Good episode. Lola annoyed me with her wishy washy flip flopping on Narcisse. Francis is dying, he shouldn't get to dictate who she loves. Get a backbone and stick by who you want. It makes me think Narcisse should just move on to someone else.

I did like Mary's support of Francis. But loved the smackdown she got from Conde's brother.

I wish Bash would be more in theFrancis dying plot with his family than his search for the witch lady. 

WTF with the costumes?  Did Queen Mary of Scotland really wear lace dresses?  And what was her BFF wearing, it looked like it was put on the actress to advertise a modern designer for the red carpet (the dress with the diagonal stripes).  I can't judge the men's costumes, but they look somewhat appropriate for the period.

How did the person who I didn't care to remember get the opium?  Was that really a thing in 16th Century France?

Megan Follows (Catherine) must need the $$ because she is way too good for this, as was Alan van Sprang (Henry II).

Heads Up Mary, it's going to be cut off.

FTW: Catherine.  What son puts their mother in a dungeon?  And yet she still forgives him.  Well, she outlived them all and died a natural death: "On 5 January 1589, Catherine died at the age of sixty-nine, probably from pleurisy" (Wikipedia reference).

What a  crap-tastick finish we're in store for, I really don't know how they'll wrap this up.

• Love 1

Megan Follows rocks my world.

Loved the teen drama with Charles -- very relatable to modern day, very, "okay, this here is why he needs a regent" for the modern viewer. I was thinking that Charles looked too old for a regency, but his stupid kid brain makes up for it. Narcisse and Lola have never interested me much but I did like the issue of him being John Philip's stepfather was addressed. I thought Lola was hideously callous about being told of Francis's impending death and immediately going to "oh cool, I can totally marry Narcisse now, just have to wait it out". Whatever happened to Francis being her family after her biological one dropped her? Glad to see Francis's concerns for his son finally got through into her head. If she had married Narcisse with no concern for John Philip I would have started actively hating the character.

It's funny how my esteem for Mary ping-pongs when she isn't pretending to be some mega-queen. She's barely a normal queen. I feel like the scenes with her and Francis worked because it was a return to those simple young lovers from the first episodes, when I liked her most. Her political machinations and posturing are so grating. Well anyway I hope she starts kissing up to Catherine before she leaves France -- threatening to seduce her younger son into having his mother killed is a nasty, nasty thing to overcome. Also, I don't know how I feel about her conveniently forgetting Catherine being there for her when she was raped -- on the one hand it's infuriating, Catherine was so kind to her, even tried to stop her from the idiocy with Conde without being too judgemental at first. On the other hand I can't blame the writers for wanting to avoid talking about the debacle that was the post-rape storyline. Though I LOVED Antoine telling Mary what he thought of her. I wonder if it will ever come out that he poisoned Henry?

(Actually, come to think of it, what exactly is Francis dying of? His bloody ear is obviously a nod to history, but it seemed to me that was he grasping his side a lot for some reason, or was that just me? I wouldn't be surprised if they did throw in a Reason Most Foul behind his death. As it is, by the way the show portrayed it, technically he seems to be dying from complications of a broken heart from last year. That does fulfill the prophecy of Mary leading to his death.)

Does anyone know what song Mary and Francis danced to? It sounded like an instrumental of a modern song, maybe one they used earlier on in the show? It's driving me crazy that I can't pinpoint it.

• Love 4
Does anyone know what song Mary and Francis danced to? It sounded like an instrumental of a modern song, maybe one they used earlier on in the show? It's driving me crazy that I can't pinpoint it.

Stay With Me by Sam Smith.

This might actually be my favorite episode from the series. The emotional beats are well done and everyone was rational. This show works best when Mary and Francis are a team and not working against each other like last season.

• Love 1

I agree with whoever said that Bash needs to quit screwing around with the witchy woman investigation and be with his brother that he claims to love. That's ridiculous, and Charles obviously has the maturity of a 12 year old. So, are we really going to be operating out of three countries here in a few episodes? I'm assuming that they will have Elizabeth in England, Mary in Scotland and Catherine in France. That's going to kind of suck, rather like watching your favorite band split up. I like these people all in the same vicinity.

• Love 1

Megan Follows (Catherine) must need the $$ because she is way too good for this, as was Alan van Sprang (Henry II).

Overall I think Megan Follows is probably having a grand time. It's a silly show, but Catherine is probably a really fun, scenery-chewing role to play.

I agree with whoever said that Bash needs to quit screwing around with the witchy woman investigation and be with his brother that he claims to love. That's ridiculous, and Charles obviously has the maturity of a 12 year old. So, are we really going to be operating out of three countries here in a few episodes? I'm assuming that they will have Elizabeth in England, Mary in Scotland and Catherine in France. That's going to kind of suck, rather like watching your favorite band split up. I like these people all in the same vicinity.

Do you think they're killing off Francis soon? I figured they'd wait until probably at least the 4th to the last episode. 

Megan Follows rocks my world.

Loved her greeting Narcisse and Lola and then sitting on the throne with tears in her eyes. She's grieving but already imagining the power she'll be able to wield as regent. Which, speaking of that, and the pointless Bash storyline, it would be more fun to see him freaking out that Catherine might become regent. He seems totally unaware of the possibility.

Edited by ulkikis
  • Love 1

Francis is dying from an ear infection (something that  abscessed  or something?) that freaks me out so much (only because  ear ailments freak me out).        

this  was a really good episode :)

WTF with the costumes?  Did Queen Mary of Scotland really wear lace dresses?  And what was her BFF wearing, it looked like it was put on the actress to advertise a modern designer for the red carpet (the dress with the diagonal stripes).  I can't judge the men's costumes, but they look somewhat appropriate for the period.

You just have to go with it, or you can't get through this show. Almost nothing in the costuming, especially the women's costumes, is accurate. They should not have short sleeves (never mind no sleeves), or most of the fabrics they use -- though they are pretty to look at.

I got hung up early on in the episode when Francis and Mary come to the party, and they say something insipid, like now's a chance to talk to the guy, there's a seat open next to him. THIS IS THE KING! Everyone there would have jumped to their feet and bowed, and the king could damn well have any effing chair in the place he should so want. He could demand an audience from anyone at any time. He would never open his own door, or carry his own wine, or even dress himself. The term privvy council (origin of the slang privvy) came from the privileged position for a lord in waiting who got to wipe the king's butt. And it was a privilege, because it was a very intimate place to be. Anyway, this is what I know of English rule -- maybe they were more chill and laid back in France, but I kinda doubt it, being as royalty was considered chosen personally by God.

Loved seeing Catherine on the throne. Figures, as soon as they hit a real road block, they go running straight to her. 

Did Mary and Francis wed at the Louvre? I remember it being right there in the main set (castle). Maybe they're wiggling around that with the remark one of them made about there being so many events surrounding their wedding. Then again, maybe they're pretending they're in the Louvre. I don't remember them ever saying exactly where they are, but I'm pretty sure they've referred to Paris as being elsewhere.

Looking forward to Lola finding out Narcisse is sneaky. Francis made a ridiculously dramatic and convenient 180 where he's concerned, but it was still a nice scene. Just 'cuz he's conniving and sneaky doesn't mean he isn't a good father...  I guess.

Francis is dying from an ear infection (something that  abscessed  or something?) that freaks me out so much (only because  ear ailments freak me out).        

this  was a really good episode :)

I think they said an abscess to the brain, though how the doctor would know that lacking an x-ray...eh, I guess I'll just go with it. But no, they never said anything about his side. I'm just glad he looked sickly this episode, since last episode he seemed the picture of health. I wonder if they're going to have him heal again, because we have a long time to go until the end of the season, and this show usually moves the plot along pretty fast (Catherine's already out of the klink.) Edited by Andromeda

Do you think they're killing off Francis soon? I figured they'd wait until probably at least the 4th to the last episode..

If I were to place a bet, I would say that he's gone by episode 6 at the earliest and winter break at the latest,but my gut tells me it's going to be soon.

• Love 1