Type keyword(s) to search

Shannen Doherty: Brawling brat or misunderstood innocent?

• Start Topic

If you're willing to take about 40 minutes, Shannen clears everything up in this Howard Stern interview from 2003. (NSFW)

I'm kind of bummed that she apparently didn't actually stalk Eddie Vedder. I remember a rather hilarious comment someone made when she had her show called Breaking Up with Shannen Doherty, about how she should break Eddie up with his stalker. LOL.

Edited by methodwriter85

I haven't listened to that interview yet, but I'll be honest, I've always had a real soft spot for not only the character of Brenda, but for Shannen Dorherty as well.  I have absolutely no idea why, but I have always liked her as an actress, and I found that for both 90210 and Charmed, I liked them much more when she was on them.  Hell, I even watched her on that god awful show North Shore, because I just find her extremely watchable.  Plus, I always liked that she was able to make fun of herself in not one, but two Kevin Smith movies.  

I am guessing she's probably a bit prickly in real life, but if Jennie Garth was willing to work with her again, she can't be all bad.  That could be my soft spot her her talking though.  

• Love 12

What was North Shore?  I too share your feelings but can't explain them.

North Shore was this show on Fox about a hotel in Hawaii; it was another prime-time soap they were trying to push.  I believe they ended up bringing in Shannen because the ratings were terrible, but even she couldn't save it.  She was the best thing in that show, and that was a show that included a shirtless Jason Momoa.

• Love 3

Love her. I guess it was a "you had to be there type of thing" because from the moment I discovered BH90210...Brenda/SD was my fave. Never knew she was disliked plus Charmed was on and I loved Prue.

Brenda had her moments but she wasn't a bitch.

• Love 5

Yes, she was close to Brian. He said he missed her on the show after SD left.

From what I read the cast had their own bts drama outside of Shannen. Other actresses talked about the vibe on set being off. Brian supposedly didn't do the reunion special because the way Vanessa Marcil was treated.

• Love 2
(edited)

Seemed like she was more liked by her male co-stars than female

I think at the time, Brian was the only one who genuinely missed her. Ian definitely did not miss her.

Granted, she pretty much has made up again with most of the original cast, Tori not included.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2

Yes, she was close to Brian. He said he missed her on the show after SD left.

From what I read the cast had their own bts drama outside of Shannen. Other actresses talked about the vibe on set being off. Brian supposedly didn't do the reunion special because the way Vanessa Marcil was treated.

Really?

I think Brian was like tight with every cast member. He and Kathleen never said anything. Everyone else is a lot easier to get dirt from. Which does say a lot about their professionalism. 

I think at the time, Brian was the only one who genuinely missed her. Ian definitely did not miss her.

Granted, she pretty much has made up again with most of the original cast, Tori not included.

Like not saying you're wrong but proof? Just want to see. 

• Love 2

I definantly think Shannon was probably a huge pain in the ass. But a very talented pain in the ass.

It's too bad 90210 is the show she's most famous for.

I have always felt Shannon had the goods to remain a huge TV star. I really do think she's a much better actress then what we saw on 90210. She should still be getting high profile work.

As for Brenda, I liked her quite a bit in season 1 and 2. Once she and Dylan got together it was all downhill for her character. That and her increasing popularity at West Beverly because of being the girlfriend of the "hottest guy in school".

I just thought Brenda had this smugness about her that I hated. Plus she became so boring and I got tired of the name Dylan coming out of her mouth every 5 seconds.

Add to that the way she treated Jim and Cindy when they dared threaten her relationship with Dylan. Brenda got away with a lot. So many times I wanted jim or Cindy to smack her. Even as a kid I thought Brenda was always way out of line.

But once she and Dylan broke up for good it was wonderful. It changed her for the better.

I adored Brenda in her final season on the show.

She really changed and matured. Her final season was physically the best she ever looked. She was STUNNING .

She became the shows punching bag in a lot of ways. But that made me love her even more.

By the time Brenda left she just didn't fit in anymore. And they were NOT her BFF's anymore.

The way they treated her when they thought she slept with the director to get her part in the school play. And when she got arrested for breaking into the lab. Was just awful. But further proof these were not her friends anymore.

She outgrew The Gang.

I just don't see Brenda wanting to be apart of all the drama and bed hopping that went on after she left.

Edited by kathy42977
  • Love 3

As for Brenda, I liked her quite a bit in season 1 and 2. Once she and Dylan got together it was all downhill for her character

But...she and Dylan start dating in season 1...and quite early.

By the time Brenda left she just didn't fit in anymore. And they were NOT her BFF's anymore.

The way they treated her when they thought she slept with the director to get her part in the school play. And when she got arrested for breaking into the lab. Was just awful. But further proof these were not her friends anymore.

Well, quite a bit of that she brought on herself...especially that whole debacle with the director.

Maybe...but so was Brenda.

I thought the storyline was that Brenda went back for a second audition and got the part?  I remember the show leaving it vague as to what happened between she and Roy Randolph, but why would it be Brenda's fault for her friends presuming she slept her way into a part? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Her friends had a right to think the way they did because 1) the director was known for not giving people a second chance and 2) the director was known for sleeping around with his leading ladies and with co-eds when he directed plays on college campuses and 3) Brenda had spectacularly bombed her first audition and 4) after bombing that same day in her audition, she was announced to have the part the next day...

Put all that together, and a person can't be wrong for at least raising an eyebrow or 2 as to how Brenda got the part.

Her friends had a right to think the way they did because 1) the director was known for not giving people a second chance and 2) the director was known for sleeping around with his leading ladies and with co-eds when he directed plays on college campuses and 3) Brenda had spectacularly bombed her first audition and 4) after bombing that same day in her audition, she was announced to have the part the next day...

Wouldn't all that really be meaningless since they were supposed to know Brenda wouldn't do something like that?  It's not like she had a history of using sex to get what she wanted.  I can't imagine anyone calling themselves my "friend" ever having a "right" to think I slept my way into a part, unless I told them I did so.   

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Not really. You can't do stupid things like that, especially in that circumstance, and not expect people to wonder.

It's not like she had a history of using sex to get what she wanted

True. But she was never involved in anything this shady before.

Edited by AndySmith
Not really. You can't do stupid things like that, especially in that circumstance, and not expect people to wonder.

What "stupid" thing did she do?  Literally nothing untoward happened.  I just don't understand the idea that you should expect that your friends are allowed to think the worst of you simply because the circumstances present themselves.  Those would be pretty terrible friends.    

But she was never involved in anything this shady before.

What did she do that was shady?  She asked for a second audition and got one.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Going to the private home of a director in the middle of the night to audition for him when you had already spectacularly failed your first audition earlier that day and the director is known for being a womanizer and not giving people a second chance? And then wondering why people would assume you got the part via the casting couch?

Yeah, nothing shady or stupid about that at all.

Yeah, nothing shady or stupid about that at all.

As far as I remember, nothing actually happened.  I suppose in hindsight, she wouldn't do it again knowing that her friends are going to think the worst. I think that is actually the real issue.  Those would be some pretty terrible friends if they honestly tried to argue for their right to presume the worst of me, regardless of what actually happened.  Poor Brenda. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

The issue isn't whether or not Brenda did anything or not. The issue is whether she knowingly put herself in a situation where people would assume the worst, then act all hurt when it turns out they do. If she really felt she deserved the part, she could have gone back the next day to the auditorium and demanded another audition right there in front of everyone, instead of sneaking all shady to Roy's house in the middle of the night.

We know nothing happened. And Brenda was terrible for doing stuff like that and not expecting to people to think the worst, then chewing them out for it. If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck...

Edited by AndySmith
The issue is whether she knowingly put herself in a situation where people would assume the worst, then act all hurt when it turns out they do. If she really felt she deserved the part, she could have gone back the next day to the auditorium and demanded another audition right there in front of everyone, instead of sneaking all shady to Roy's house in the middle of the night.

Yikes.  She did nothing wrong, and that is just victim blaming.  If Brenda's "friends" want to blame Brenda for them presuming the worst, that's on them, not Brenda.     

Edited by txhorns79
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

It isn't victim blaming (and kind of insulting to real victims to make that comparison). Unlike real victims, Brenda brought this all on herself. Brenda's asinine actions is why they presumed the worst in her.

I like Brenda, really, I do, but there were times, like this storyline, where she was just exasperating.

It isn't victim blaming (and kind of insulting to real victims to make that comparison). Unlike real victims, Brenda brought this all on herself.

Real victims of what?  Petty gossip?  Brenda is a victim of that.  I'm not sure how it could be suggested otherwise in this situation.  From what I remember of the storyline, the other girl who wanted the part used Steve to spread the rumor that Brenda got the part because she slept with the director.  Her friends presumed the worst and acted like asses at the behest of someone who turned out to be a nut job.  I didn't know there was another side to that.          

• Love 2

Brenda was a victim of a situation she created. The other girl, Laura, actually got the part through a valid audition. Again, given the circumstances, it isn't that hard to imagine most people assuming Brenda had done that, because I'm sure most people trying out for plays do not audition for the directors at their homes in the middle of night after failing in their auditions that same day...especially as the director is such a known womanizer that he had to sign a contract with the university not to sleep with any of the co-eds (which we as the audience weren't privy to until much later in the storyline).

Anyway, we seem to be going around in circles. Lets just agree to disagree, since I doubt either of us will convince the other. If you feel the need to have the last word on the subject, knock yourself out.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

Late to the party, but make room for me on the table of ShanDo love.  I think she intimidated her cast mates, especially Garth.  Shannen was a child actress and while she wasn't a HUGE star, she had been on a few shows (Little House and that One with Willford Brimley) and Heathers.  My husband went to HS with Garth and said how the drama teacher had publically said Garth had no talent and shouldn't drop out of school to go to Hollywood.  They made him retract that in the school paper.  I'm sure Garth was extremely insecure and I bet Shannen never let her feel ok about it.

It sounded like Shannen expected everyone to be professional and wasn't very sweet about it.  I liken it to a gifted child who gets mad when classmates don't get a lesson. 

I never understood how Brenda and Shannen were melded into one in the minds of viewers.  I don't assume anyone was like their character. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

Late to the party, but make room for me on the table of ShanDo love.  I think she intimidated her cast mates, especially Garth.  Shannen was a child actress and while she wasn't a HUGE star, she had been on a few shows (Little House and that One with Willford Brimley) and Heathers.  My husband went to HS with Garth and said how the drama teacher had publically said Garth had no talent and shouldn't drop out of school to go to Hollywood.  They made him retract that in the school paper.  I'm sure Garth was extremely insecure and I bet Shannen never let her feel ok about it.

It sounded like Shannen expected everyone to be professional and wasn't very sweet about it.  I liken it to a gifted child who gets mad when classmates don't get a lesson. 

I never understood how Brenda and Shannen were melded into one in the minds of viewers.  I don't assume anyone was like their character. 

I think you may be on to something with this.  One of the few things I think the Lifetime movie actually got right is that Shannen does have a photographic memory, which as we saw in the movie - and what did actually happen on the set of Charmed - would mean that Shannen would either skip rehearsals or just read the script at rehearsal, because she could learn her lines immediately, and that frustrated her coworkers.  However, the flip side of that is that Shannen in turn would get frustrated when the others wouldn't know their lines, because she could get her scenes done with a minimal amount of takes.  So to your point, I think Shannen just liked to show up and get it done, and would get annoyed when her co-stars (who were newer to tv) couldn't get everything as quickly as she could.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

Yeah, that's the part of the book excerpts I don't understand, that they compared Shannen Doherty's real life behavior to Brenda's actions on the show and seemed to think she was a hypocrite when they differed.  But...the character is a creation of the show, she's acting out a script.  So weird.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Spreading to the lymph nodes doesn't mean terminal (I have a dear friend who had breast cancer that spread to her lymph nodes, and she has now been cancer free for 6 years!), but it does mean that you have to attack it aggressively.  What's a bit scarier is that she also said that her cancer has spread outside of her lymph nodes, and if that is indeed the case, that means it probably has spread to other organs, which puts her at Stage IV and that's scary to say the least.  If it is true that her management company didn't pay her insurance premiums and let it lapse, which delayed her ability to get treatment and let the cancer spread, I hope she or (god forbid) her family sues the shit out of them, because that is terrible.  And she's only 45 - she's far too young for all this.  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1
On 7/25/2016 at 1:58 PM, CurlyATX said:

I don't think she intimdated her cast mates.. she got kicked off not 1, but 2 shows for her nasty behavior. Also, I couldn't stand kelly as a character, but I have to say I think she was one of the best actors on the show. She showed a range of emotions throughout the 10 seasons, and I believed every one of them.

Doherty wasn't fired from Charmed. She and Milano obviously had big problems with each other but Holly Marie Combs is one of her best friends and Combs strongly considered leaving the show when Doherty did because she didn't really want to do it without her. Which is very likely the reason why the season 3 cliffhanger ended with both Prue and Piper dying. As well as that at the time she left the show, Doherty was involved with Julian McMahon, Cole. She most likely left the show because of her relationship with Milano (who was the bigger star and favoured by the producers) and her unhappiness with the direction the show was taking, as she wanted it to be darker. Constance M Burges (the show's creator) left the show at the end of season 3 and the storylines got progressively sillier without her.

I think that a lot of the bad press surrounding Doherty's departure from Charmed had a lot to do with her departure from BH 90210. Leaving two shows meant she was painted as this bitch that people couldn't work with yet her closest co-workers included a woman who was and is her best friend and the man who was her boyfriend.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3