Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Hustle and Flow

Hap, who no longer suspects Wick of involvement in the oil heist, extends an olive branch to his son via a new venture, but tensions boil over when Billy tries to join the deal. Sheriff Tip arrests a suspect in the robbery. AJ tries to use his relationship with Lacey to undermine Briggs Oil. Hap rekindles his relationship with his son's girlfriend.

Let me guess, the new writers must have taken over, yes?  Because this one worked in ways that the first two episodes didn't.  There was rampant scheming, intrigue, infidelity, and a sleazy newcomer named Finn.  What's his story?  Is he just a simple flirt or is he working an angle by being one?  I'm also curious about the extent of Hap's and Carla's marriage.  Does Carla know about her husband's relationship with Jules?  What is AJ up to with that mysterious woman he's scheming with?  This episode stepped it up, so consider me OFFICIALLY IN!

• Love 1

I was glad to see Billy get scammed by Hap, because it was just so unrealistic that some young kid could swoop in and start doing so well.  And he was really stupid to sign over his stake in that other land deal. I thought his wife would be more pissed at him for that.

I didn't realize Hap and Carla only married a few years ago.  So that means she isn't Wick's biological mother either, right?

I was glad to see Billy get scammed by Hap, because it was just so unrealistic that some young kid could swoop in and start doing so well.  And he was really stupid to sign over his stake in that other land deal. I thought his wife would be more pissed at him for that.

I didn't realize Hap and Carla only married a few years ago.  So that means she isn't Wick's biological mother either, right?

I'm going to reasonably assume that Carla isn't Wick's mother and that he and Lacey have different moms.  I'm actually hoping Wick's mother is introduced at some point since I envision her as a domineering queen bee.

I was glad to see Billy get scammed by Hap, because it was just so unrealistic that some young kid could swoop in and start doing so well.  And he was really stupid to sign over his stake in that other land deal. I thought his wife would be more pissed at him for that.

His wife must be used to his stupidity by now as evident since the pilot.

• Love 1

I like this as well as most Sunday night ABC shows- Redwidow or star crossed lovers  - Betryal - not as much as creepy hotel Park 666 or somesuch.

But I am totally squicked out at a chick that's screwing both father and son. Ewwwwwww. Nasty.

So, not sure I'll stay tuned in.  Plus there's just a disconnect between ruthless Hap and lover Hap and Daddy Hap I don't like.

Easy money...easy come, easy go.  Idiot boy....5% of a sure thing but he's obviously a complete gambler with a real optimistic streak.  Really idiot boy.  Should have gone to the landman for advice. And now it looks like he's going to blackmail Hap?  OMG complete idiot boy. 

Side plot of daughter's love interest is best thing going one for me.

• Love 3

Easy money...easy come, easy go.  Idiot boy....5% of a sure thing but he's obviously a complete gambler with a real optimistic streak.  Really idiot boy.  Should have gone to the landman for advice. And now it looks like he's going to blackmail Hap?  OMG complete idiot boy.

The dumbass never learns, just 1 dumb choice after another.

Let me guess, the new writers must have taken over, yes?  Because this one worked in ways that the first two episodes didn't.  There was rampant scheming, intrigue, infidelity, and a sleazy newcomer named Finn.  What's his story?  Is he just a simple flirt or is he working an angle by being one?  I'm also curious about the extent of Hap's and Carla's marriage.  Does Carla know about her husband's relationship with Jules?  What is AJ up to with that mysterious woman he's scheming with?  This episode stepped it up, so consider me OFFICIALLY IN!

As someone who's been quite critical of this show, this episode was a million times better. It flowed much smoother, we got more details on who these people actually are, and I actually felt suspense, instead of feeling nothing. I'm glad to have news characters to breathe some life in (especially Wilson Bethel). It's far from perfect, but I was actually able to sustain attention through the whole show.

• Love 1
But I am totally squicked out at a chick that's screwing both father and son. Ewwwwwww. Nasty.

That was a pure soap opera development. Now it's simply a matter of when the WTD problem will show up and who's going to be blackmailing who over the secret.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

Loved the increased soapiness this ep. I liked Hap playing the longish game with Billy, though it's definitely difficult to take Billy business scenes seriously. He spent all that energy getting the land parcel in ep 1.01, to throw it away just because that other oil field already had the machinery built? Gambler is right.

Also hilarious: every time they reference the oil boom. Wonder how long the pilot script was floating around.

I can't figure out what they think they're doing with Carla. She's pretty, but not really a trophy wife type. (And in one scene her bra didn't even fit properly, which was hella distracting.) But she and Hap don't particularly seem to be in love either. I can't imagine how much work it was to find an actress who has zero chemistry with Don Johnson, or why they would bother, but it seems like they did.

Edited by innocuouspuff
  • Love 1