Type keyword(s) to search

Jason Gideon: They Don't Call Them Nervous Breakdowns Anymore

• Start Topic

Saul Berenson is Mandy Patinkin's character on Homeland.

Also known as that really violent show about terrorists with the guy in it that quit Criminal Minds because he thought it was too violent. Or at least that is how the legend goes...

• Love 6

Also known as that really violent show about terrorists with the guy in it that quit Criminal Minds because he thought it was too violent. Or at least that is how the legend goes...

*snort*

Believe me, the irony does not escape me. Particularly when his character recruited Claire Danes' Carrie Mathison, who allowed her bipolar condition to go unmedicated because she thought it made her a better field operative. Like, way to get away from sending a bad message, Patinkin.

• Love 2

You nailed it. My husband wanted to watch it so I sat through the whole thing, but I hated every minute of it. At least the team on CM are honorable. Homeland made me feel dirty watching it. 

• Love 3

I love me some Homeland and Saul is my favorite character. But I do have to roll my eyes at him stating that Criminal Minds was too violent. I would have given him a pass before he started Homeland, but to make the same statement AFTER he had been on the show for a couple years is definitely worth some side eye.

• Love 2
On 7/11/2015 at 12:39 PM, Danielg342 said:

I always believed that in Season 1, Mandy Patinkin genuinely liked being on the show, only for it to turn sometime in Season 2, perhaps while filming the finale. Patinkin seems to be the type who really gets into his roles, so he had to dig deep and really feel the mourning of Sarah for that storyline to work. Perhaps he took it a bit too far and it caused him to have a change of heart going into Season 3.

I will also point out that depression doesn't hit when you're around people- it hits when you're alone, when you can truly think about it. So if the material was going to get to Patinkin, he wasn't going to show it on set.

Still, I think the turning point had to have been S2. I look at his performances in S1 and compare them to S2 and he looks more engaged in S1 than in S2. It coincides with a shift in the show's tone, since it got a bit more formulaic (and graphic, I think) in S2 (not that I think it got worse because I believe Edward Allen Bernero knew how to write a procedural, but his style was a bit more simplistic than Jeff Davis' was).

I think he liked it, and he does go deep into his characters.  

What I remember is him saying he couldn't keep doing the "rape and torture of the week.". That stayed with me, and I completely agree.  In several of the worst?  I just skip to the end, the resolve, because honestly?  I don't need that shit.  I can't imagine acting it over and over again.

Later they moved on to at least a few non rape and torture topics, which frankly remain my favorite episodes.

On 10/13/2015 at 2:16 AM, rapgodminho said:

A different kind of violence.  Not each week a new young guest star coming in to be violently raped and tortured and killed.

On 10/13/2015 at 4:03 PM, ForeverAlone said:

I love me some Homeland and Saul is my favorite character. But I do have to roll my eyes at him stating that Criminal Minds was too violent. I would have given him a pass before he started Homeland, but to make the same statement AFTER he had been on the show for a couple years is definitely worth some side eye.

Violence is much more diverse on Homeland, and not on every show.  The rapes were few and far between, and the motivations for any violence were based in wars, not this new psycho getting his jollies off.

• Love 1