Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Down by the River

thewhiteowl

The opening plot line stunned me, even to the point of suspecting TPTB of some hand-waving and ignoring the cliff-hanger from last season.  Well played! And I loved the way Henry tackled Walt to try to stop him from killing Nighthorse.

• Love 3

Poor Branch. After all he went through investigating Cady's accident and persuing David Ridges. He was right about everything and when he finally solved the case got betrayed. I hope Barlow fries in Hell forever for that. What a cold-blooded killer! Shoots his only child in the face with a shotgun, stages a fake suicide, and has the nerve to play the perfect grieving father to Walt when he hears the news.

So now we have a bunch of ongoing threads this season: exposing Barlow for Branch's murder, getting Malachi out of the Red Pony (because that bastard is insufferable and also needs to fry ASAP), Henry taking over for Hector to give his people justice they can't get by conventional means, and Walt's digging into Jacob Nighthorse's shit. That last one has the most potential since it ties into the Barlow Connally and Malachi Strand threads.

I'm interested in all of these but I hope it doesn't mean the case of the week stories get totally shoved aside. It might be that any solving of day-to-day problems and mysteries are going to be more for Henry the New Hector, with minor assists from the Absaroka Sheriff but I hope not. I love how the combination of solid police work, common sense and being long-standing members of the community factored into solving crimes, and to me that took all of them: Walt, Vic, Ferg, Ruby, Henry, Cady, and Branch (RIP) mainly, with assists from Lucian, Omar and Mathias (hope he's back).

But I'm not complaining because I know it's going to be good. My biggest problem is pacing myself. I'm going to try to watch one a week. Let's see how long that lasts!

ETA: I'm finding Vic's new-found interest in Walt a bad move. Their relationship made sense in the books but that was very definitely a different Vic.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 3

The opening plot line stunned me, even to the point of suspecting TPTB of some hand-waving and ignoring the cliff-hanger from last season.  Well played! And I loved the way Henry tackled Walt to try to stop him from killing Nighthorse.

Yes, I thought it a jarring shift - especially since I had just finished watching the last season's finale. But they managed to power through.

I'm sad about Branch being gone - his character was interesting, complex, and right about it all. And on the shallow side - nice to look at.

• Love 4

I really miss Branch and spent the first half of the show in denial that he was really dead. I watch this with my husband and he will only watch 2 episodes a week and this restraint is killing me. Love the show, it looks beautiful, and I'm just very happy to be able to spend time with the wonderful characters.

• Love 1

I too will miss the Branch character.

But I am glad they brought back 99% of the characters & reoccurring characters.

The longer episodes are nice - they give the actors and the stories a chance to breathe.  (The cinematography is beautiful)

It also feels like they are creating more of ensemble feel for the stories...and giving the actors some really "meaty" stuff to do.

Very much enjoying Season 4. 

• Love 4

It also feels like they are creating more of ensemble feel for the stories...and giving the actors some really "meaty" stuff to do.

Very much enjoying Season 4.

I am blown away with Branch being killed off--still in shock over that one! Nonetheless, I agree that this new season is really focusing more on the characters, both as individuals and in their relationships with each other. And the flow of the story is so much nicer with no commercial breaks!

• Love 2

But I am glad they brought back 99% of the characters & reoccurring characters.

Same here! I miss Branch a lot, but I am thrilled they brought pretty much everyone back. The supporting and reoccurring characters are a big part of what gives this show so much of its unique flavor. 

• Love 1

Ha, Walt's face when Cady held out her phone so he could reach Branch's texts was hilarious. First of all, he doesn't want to read texts, just on principle  Secondly, he doesn't want to read texts between Branch and his daughter. I knew he would say something like, "Why don't you just call him?"

To be honest, I had forgotten what happened in the season finale so at the beginning of this episode I was like wait, what the hell? It all started coming back to me as the episode went on though.

On a shallow note, I still have a hard time buying Jacob Whitehorse as a bad guy, only because I still remember him as Cruz on Santa Barbara.

• Love 4

But I'm not complaining because I know it's going to be good. My biggest problem is pacing myself. I'm going to try to watch one a week. Let's see how long that lasts!

I finally got around to watching the first episode today and loved it but like you will have a hard time pacing myself.

I feel awful about Branch but I am so happy Netflix picked up this show,

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2

Walt placing Branch's hat next to the urn at the funeral was significant.   As the superstition goes, a hat should be stored with the opening facing up, so as to “catch luck” inside of it. Alternatively, laying a hat with the opening down allows all the luck to fall out.  Walt first put it brim up and then, knowing the circumstances, turned it brim down.