Type keyword(s) to search

Alicia Clark: Your Typical Apathetic Teenager

• Start Topic

From the pilot episode thread:

I was pretty sure that boyfriend was dunzo after the marker tattoo. She's got a week or so to stare longingly at it as she remembers him and prepare for a dramatic scene when it is washed off in some rain storm they have to be out in or when she has to wash zombie guts off her arm, thereby signifying a break from her old life.

• Love 1

I know some people find her character annoying but I'm interested in seeing where her story goes. She seems like a straight A student who has plotted her life so that she can go to a good university, far away from her family. A zombie invasion is going to throw a huge spanner in the works for her.

I'm also rooting for her because the actress did a really good job in The 100 so I'd like that to translate to this show too :)

• Love 1

Spoilered for TWD Talk:

I have so found the character's writing to be extremely generic. The only moments with her that were kind of interesting were when she was griping about her brother... and Nick is not exactly hurting for screen time as it is. One third of the show is him, one third is people talking about him, and the other third is for development of the not-Nicks. At least the parents got a little bit of personality exposure. Alicia? Not so much.

All I really know is that she's pretty, she's in school, she has a family, and

hopefully she doesn't sing.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

I really feel for her. As someone who grew up with two alcoholic, druggie brothers who made my childhood miserable I can see how she would become resentful and detached. To be honest, she seemed more caring towards her brother than I would have been. I feel bad for her that she won't get to escape and will be stuck with a junkie brother who will most likely leave her to be eaten by zombies if there's a chance he could score a fix. People have been saying he has good survival instincts and yeah he'll probably survive because he'll sacrifice everyone around him to do so.

• Love 2

I haven't seen enough of her to have a firm opinion either way on the character so far. There is one thing I hate and it's nothing against her but rather a complaint about the other characters and how they infantilize her.  It's galling how much she is being left out of the loop, especially since she is assertive, intelligent, and has kind impulses, the sort that make her go out of her way for others. Those characteristics, all good things, all potentially advantageous in the zombie apocalypse are a recipe for disaster if the key facts regarding the type of danger that is around them are being withheld from her. Mom thinks she can go out and Alicia is not going to want to slip away to check on her ailing boyfriend? Has she met her daughter?

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 3

Okay, episode #2 and I'm ready for her to be a tasty treat and a distant memory.  Sullen, unpleasant, resentful for no apparent reason and doing her best to resemble an arrogant slug.

I would't mind the character so much if this exact type wasn't a go-to stereotype, generic as hell.  Nick has more personality, maybe only because he's an addict, but how often must we see the pretty, smart teenage girl, smart beyond her years in some ways yet such a total brat in others.  Travis' son may also be a stereotype but we haven't seen enough of him yet to know for sure.

I've seen enough of this one to last a lifetime - which in this show will hopefully be very short.

Her cluelessness about the overall situation, plus her willingness to help Nick out no matter how bad she thinks he is, fill me with hope.

And that hope is this: Nick will turn into a zombie, and Alicia will ignore everyone's warnings. Nick will turn Alicia into a zombie. Then, the two of them will kill everyone else. Except Tobias.

• Love 2

I finally rewatched episode 2 and I've changed my opinion of Alicia.  I mean, sure, her hair was in the way but she did get down in the floor and clean up her brother's vomit.  There are very few teenagers, let alone adults, who would do that sort of thing.  

Yeh, she might not be as bad as I first thought.

• Love 2

Okay, episode #2 and I'm ready for her to be a tasty treat and a distant memory.  Sullen, unpleasant, resentful for no apparent reason and doing her best to resemble an arrogant slug.

I think they've shown us reasons for her to be resentful.  It looks like she's been required to play second mom to her older brother plenty of times before this. She's the one who does what's expected of her and yet her brother gets all the attention. As for recently, nobody tells her squat but they expect her to leave her sick boyfriend to take care of her sick brother. I'd be sullen about that too.... actually, more than sullen, I'd probably just leave.

• Love 6

Plus side of Zombie Apocalypse...........no student loans!

Correction!  Not having to pay back student loans.

People have been saying he has good survival instincts and yeah he'll probably survive because he'll sacrifice everyone around him to do so.

I'm not sold on Nick's survival instincts.  The boy knows when to run but his observation skills could use some work.  First, he barrels into the middle of traffic and winds up getting hit by a car.  Second, he wasn't able to pick up on the menacing vibes Cal was giving off and gets in the car with him.  

I see Nick sobering up so I expect him to be the show's big hero.  I also expect his sobriety will be sorely tested when they come across a stash of oxycontin or whatever Nick's drug of choice is.

As for Alicia, no real opinions on her other than I'm not particularly fond of teenagers.

• Love 1

I'm disappointed with the way her character was written. It was like no effort was put into it aside from a few stereotypes: the A-plus student, who just wants to "get outta this town", the golden child of the family (compared to the older druggie brother), love-hate relationship with her brother but deep down she'll do anything for him, etc etc. It just seems like a waste of potential because ADC is a good actress and she did a pretty good job on The 100. Same can be said for Cliff Curtis.

Hopefully in S2 her characters fare better. Actually, I hope all the other characters fare better.

• Love 1

Aw! I'm only on season one, but Alicia is one of the only characters I like! (Along with Ofelia and her dad.) She seems like a pretty normal suburban kid to me...well, normal in abnormal circumstances. She's high achieving but ignored in favor of her druggie brother, whom she's probably had to take care of for years, her father's dead, her mother is totally useless and has brought in this clueless bossy guy who pretends like they're one big happy family. And now the world has turned to confusion and chaos, but no one will be straight with her. Yet she's still loving, compassionate, and smart.

It probably helps too that I think Alycia Debnam-Carey is a absolute doll, but that aside...I really like Alicia.

• Love 1

Alicia is liked because she is very pretty and conventionally nice. Nothing deeper than that.

That said, she really spooked me when she was writhing in the road at the end of the season opener. I could totally see her as a Manson chick.

• Love 1