Type keyword(s) to search

The Correspondents: Roy and Desi, Ronny and Michael, Dulcé and Jaboukie, OH MY!

• Start Topic

For quite a while, I really haven't liked the way the show has handled the "correspondents" and I didn't know why until today.

In Jon's era, they would adopt a persona to use to expose information or malfeasance. But now, a lot of the time they are just ranting on random riffs, based on one emotional note.

It's like Trevor is thoughtful and his correspondents are the ranty background noise.

Ronny is Angry. Desi is Crazy. Michael is Dopey. Dulce is Saucy.

Roy is slightly more nuanced, but not a lot.

Even Lewis Black, arguably the most ranty cast member of all time, was focused on analysis and not just venting his spleen about nothing. 

• Useful 1
On 11/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, Ailianna said:

Looking at the title of this topic, I suddenly realized I haven't seen Jaboukie in a long time. Has he left the show? Am I just hopelessly out of date?

He left over a year ago, November 2021. IIRC there was no "Goodbye moment", so it was really easy to miss that he left the show.

As mentioned in the episodes thread, I've recently watched two of Roy's three stand-up specials, and they're fabulous.  They're all available on Paramount+, but if you don't have that, two are available (legally) free on YouTube.  The third may be on the CC website, I haven't checked.

In his second one, he started to talk about the #metoo movement and I braced myself, because male comedians - even when otherwise progressive - have a long history of pissing me off when they talk about women in general and especially about that movement, but I should have had faith in him.  He also had great stuff in support of transgender people, and mocking those who refuse to call people by their preferred name -- but only when it comes to transgender people; they've got no problem calling Terry Bollea "Hulk Hogan", for example.

I think it's also that one in which he talks a lot about people getting the vapors over those, especially Black folks, who don't regard the national anthem the same way they do.  It's great stuff, and my favorite is the part in which he talks about what a shitty song it is, and not even an original American composition, but based on a British pub song.  "You want stolen people in a stolen country to sing a stolen song?" nearly rolled me right out of bed.

He's hilarious, intelligent, passionate, and quite a compassionate soul, who talks a lot about allies and points out the stupidity and danger of people who deny that people experience America differently based on their race, gender, etc.

He's my favorite of the current correspondents (Jessica and Samantha will probably forever tie for my all-time favorite) - with Dulce a close second - but I wasn't familiar with his stand-up until now.  He's good.  If you like him on the show, you'll like these specials, so check them out.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Dulce didn't get a whole week, but she got a GLAAD award for the one day she hosted. She was on "after Midnight" earlier this week, and they mentioned it, which is how I found out. Then I looked it up and found this article which confirms:

https://uproxx.com/tv/dulce-sloan-the-daily-show-memoir-interview/

Sounds like we won't get much of her on this show, if all her plans pan out now that she's relocated to L.A.  Bummer, but I'm happy for her success.  I love that she dedicated her book to herself:

I was joking with my manager. I was like, “What if I dedicated this to me?” He was like, “Yeah, do it.” I’m so glad I did that because it’s like I was the one in the car driving from college to college in the middle of the night in the snow, in the rain or whatever, going to auditions, writing stand-up, going to open mics, performing numerous times in Mobile, Alabama, just doing all of this work. It’s how I always think about the thing that I heard in church growing up when we went, “Faith without work is dead.” So I had all these things that I wanted for myself, but it was like, “Oh, I want to be a successful comic. I want to be a successful actress.” But there was a time I wasn’t going to auditions, I wasn’t going to shows.

And it’s like, “The Lord can’t bless you if you sit in your house.”

Now, we didn’t go every Sunday, but I thought about that. I was like, “Because it’s true. You could want so much for your life, but you have to put in the work so someone can give you the opportunity.” Now people will be beholden, will make sure to try to feel beholden to them because you got an opportunity, but I put gas in the car and came outside. So, thank you for the assistance, but you can’t get all the credit. But I think that’s what I have to say to myself.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1