Type keyword(s) to search

Ricki and the Flash (2015): Meryl and Mamie

Athena
  • Start Topic

Directed by Jonathan Demme and written by Diablo Cody. The film stars Meryl Streep, Mamie Gummer, Kevin Kline, Sebastian Stan, Rick Springfield, Audra McDonald, and Ben Platt.

• Love 1

Hubby and I enjoyed it. The interactions felt real, sometimes making you cringe but you could understand everyone's perspective. The music is great, and Meryl has a good voice. Every actor was good. The only thing I wished for was an explanation of how Ricki and Pete got together to begin with because when you see Kevin Kline, you think there is no way his character and Meryl's would ever have gotten married to begin with.

• Love 5

Really enjoyed this movie. Thought the relationships portrayed seemed very believable. Great cast!!

Love Meryl & Rick S. together....they were really great in the music end of things.

Will have to get the soundtrack. Fun to sing along with the tunes....reminded me of the "good ol' days" when we were all (quite) a bit younger!

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this movie too. I went in with low expectations given the mixed reviews but am very happy I paid to see it. I don't think Meryl was miscast, which seems to be a common theme in many of the critic reviews. As that interview with Diablo Cody mentions, it's often the people we don't expect to do certain things that end up surprising us the most. I don't think we were supposed to think she fits into the world of rock and roll (especially since she never achieves anything close to mainstream success), just that she was a mother of 3 who left her family to pursue her dream, is now a lead singer in a cover band playing bars, and clearly regrets what that decision had on her family. I thought Meryl did a great job with it.

I also though the supporting actors were very effective too, including Mamie. The nepotism issue has been brought up on these boards but I didn't see weakness in Mamie's portrayal and there was no denying the natural bond came through onscreen between the Ricki and her daughter. The person who surprised me the most was Rick Springfield. The one and only time I came close to tears was because of him so great acting there, Rick.

There has been criticism that there was no real resolution to the plot, but really I thought the way it ended was probably the most realistic way to end the movie. Ricki was never going to go back to her old life or even improve her lot. The best she could hope for was to try to repair at least some of the emotional damage she had done to her kids and forgive herself enough to be worthy of love again, both of which she did.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 4

I liked it too.   Pretty realistic except for the staring and double takes at Ricki's appearance.  I live in a big, Midwestern city, and her hairstyle and dress is not nearly enough to cause all that gawking.  She didn't even have a nose ring.

The one and only time I came close to tears was because of him so great acting there, Rick.

I second that.

• Love 2

I also though the supporting actors were very effective too, including Mamie. The nepotism issue has been brought up on these boards but I didn't see weakness in Mamie's portrayal and there was no denying the natural bond came through onscreen between the Ricki and her daughter.

Mamie is a decent actor.  I certainly don't see the problem with casting her.  She's not her mother, but... nobody is. Anywhere.

• Love 3

I saw it with my mom and we liked it. You could definitely tell Mamie is Meryl's daughter. We were both wondering how she was able to fly the band to the wedding when Rick Springfield had to sell his guitar for the ticket money for the two of them. Whatever, it's a movie.

Meryl will probably get nominated for this movie since these days she just has to blink to get nominated. But I wonder if Rick will get nominated too?

• Love 1

I loved this movie and so did my friends who saw it with me.  We were all impressed with the fact that Meryl learned how to play the guitar for this role (she is so dedicated to her craft) and we all agreed that we forgot Ricki was really Meryl after a few minutes but then, that's the amazing talent of MS who can disappear into any character she plays.  Loved that the band members backing up Rick Springfield and Meryl were not youngsters--they looked so authentic in that crazy roadhouse (as did the audience, especially when they got out on the dance floor - loved that).  And no lip syncing...they were filmed playing/singing for real.

• Love 2