Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: St. Luke's

So are we supposed to assume that Carolyn hallucinated that whole meeting with the priest? If hallucinating is the right word.

Always nice to see Jessica Harper again. I didn't think there was enough of an age gap between her and Jennifer Beals to be mother and daughter, so looked it up, and there's a 14-year difference. Not a whole lot, but more rational than some of the parent/child pairings I've seen on TV over the years. Also a nice touch giving Carolyn mixed race parents, like JB in real life. 

So are we supposed to assume that Carolyn hallucinated that whole meeting with the priest? If hallucinating is the right word.

I was planning to ask a similar question, since I turned the channel during that particular scene.   Was the priest a "ghost" or was he really there.  Carolyn did not see him as a child, so it is possible he may have recognized her even though she did not recognize him.  Did he say something close to what he said in the confessional about "having a little chat"?

(edited)

Also a nice touch giving Carolyn mixed race parents, like JB in real life.

I thought so too. I also liked the part when she was coming up with reasons why the other

doctors wouldn't be good for her dad's surgery, it sounded so normal and realistic.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1

I also liked the fact that she did not operate on her father, which is how it would happen in real life. On every other medical show she'd probably be in the operating room dramatically saving his life or something.

• Love 2

I must’ve been really tired when watching the episode because, while I realize the priest was the same from when she was a little girl, I didn’t think he was a ghost. Makes sense, I guess. Does Carolyn suspect he was a ghost?
I’m really enjoying this show and hope more people will discover it.

It was her father, I'm pretty sure.  My take on the confession scene was that she was remembering when she went to confession as a child and just sort of superimposed the priest's face onto the memory, maybe because she didn't remember what the old priest looked like or maybe this priest reminded her of him, said the same kinds of things.

OK.  Is it only me or does anyone else think it's highly unlikely that Carolyn's parents would produce a child that looks like Carolyn?  I have nothing against inter-racial marriages (both my children are in them) but REALLY?  This same thing happened in Royal Pains.  Divya, an Indian (not Native American) woman has a child by a Brazilian soccer player.  He's definitely a white man.The child they  hired to play the little one is obviously African American.  I guess it is politically incorrect to point this out.

I, too, was pleased to see the Show give a nod toward JB's heritage, because she's made it a point for her characters to be bi-racial whenever possible. And whether it was a planned choice in casting or chemistry/luck, the actors playing her parents happen to resemble her real life Mother and Father very much! So to answer the previous poster, yes! not only is it possible, it's most fortuitous!

• Love 1

OK.  Is it only me or does anyone else think it's highly unlikely that Carolyn's parents would produce a child that looks like Carolyn?

Except it already did. The actress who plays Carolyn, Jennifer Beals, her father

is African-American and her mother is Irish-American.

Edited by andromeda331

I, too, was pleased to see the Show give a nod toward JB's heritage, because she's made it a point for her characters to be bi-racial whenever possible. And whether it was a planned choice in casting or chemistry/luck, the actors playing her parents happen to resemble her real life Mother and Father very much! So to answer the previous poster, yes! not only is it possible, it's most fortuitous!

OK.  Thanks for that info.  I stand corrected.

I didn't know anything about JB's heritage and I kept thinking they would tell us she was adopted.  I'm glad to know her parents were depicted realistically in the show.  But if I had not read it here, I agree with ilovemylabs, I wouldn't have believed that she was the product of those parents.  

The show is going downhill for me.  It's basically about her personal drama.  I'm not sure what this last episode had to do with proof of afterlife.  They keep throwing some premise out there (spiritual, supernatural, whatever) and then finding a way to debunk it (to keep everyone happy, I guess).  Oh, some hobo with glasses was living there and we mistook him for a ghost. I think this just isn't the show for me. 

I didn't know anything about JB's heritage and I kept thinking they would tell us she was adopted.  I'm glad to know her parents were depicted realistically in the show.  But if I had not read it here, I agree with ilovemylabs, I wouldn't have believed that she was the product of those parents.  

The show is going downhill for me.  It's basically about her personal drama.  I'm not sure what this last episode had to do with proof of afterlife.  They keep throwing some premise out there (spiritual, supernatural, whatever) and then finding a way to debunk it (to keep everyone happy, I guess).  Oh, some hobo with glasses was living there and we mistook him for a ghost. I think this just isn't the show for me. 

I was disappointed in the last episode too but the next one looks promising.  She talks with the woman with the green scarf.

JB's two Brothers resemble their Father a bit more than she does, but in pictures of the three you can see strong sibling links as well as a wonderful blending of the parents' attributes. Yeah this wasn't a favorite episode for me in terms of story line.  It's almost as if they're tilting too much in thawing Carolyn in the audience's eyes from the (perceived) cold, fractious machine to an empathetic/vulnerable person.

In "The L Word" world, we had an expression called, "JB's Cry-Smile" ( a real heart tugger ) I'm half expecting to see that next!

• Love 1

Its definitely one of the fun parts of genetics, you never really know who kids will end up

looking like their mom, their dad, both, or neither. Or even skip a generation end up

looking like a grandparent. My brother is a dead ringer for our grandfather. One of my

friend's got her grandpa's red hair, her parents and sister both have brown hair, she's 

been asked many times if she's adopted.

I liked the father-daughter parts, as well as when her dad finds out about JB's ex-husband and what he did and demands he leave the hospital room. I felt bad for Len, because it seems they had a great relationship (father and son-in-law), but it was good for the truth to come out, especially because the father seemed to be placing all the blame on Caroline and that's not fair.

I was disappointed in the last episode too but the next one looks promising.  She talks with the woman with the green scarf.

Yes, I saw that in the promo.  I'm  looking forward to the story behind her.  I just hope they don't start with this great premise (again) and then she ends up being an escapee from a mental hospital.  OK, I'm being really cynical here.  Sorry.

I think this show would have been better as a limited episode series.  Her billionaire sponsor is getting sicker.  How long can they make him last?  I think they will eventually run out of good story plots.  Just my opinion.

Except it already did. The actress who plays Carolyn, Jennifer Beals, her father

is African-American and her mother is Irish-American.

And in fact every role she's had a say in things with, she's made sure she's playing multiracial.

• Love 2