Type keyword(s) to search

S14: Merline Labissiere

• Start Topic

I was shocked that she managed to get something done. While it wasn't my favorite, it was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. I'm totally on the side of the other designers though. Everyone is already stressed. It's one thing to hum a little. It's another to chirp along like an alarm clock. 

And how long has she been calling it "muslim"? Glad Tim nipped that in the bud.

I think she just made a mistake in cutting her hair recently. Check out the picture here (Dec 2014)

The article is good, too, and some of the things that she talks about doing (teaching, mentoring, etc), indicate that she's been a responsible adult teaching others for some time, so she's probably more mature than your average 32-year-old fashion contestant on this show, and may also have found it useful to at times adopt a style that says "take me seriously, I'm not a kid"  

image:  http://static1.squarespace.com/static/527d1194e4b0c0e55aa2cb1d/t/548fb773e4b057b61054348d/1418704766573/?format=750w (can't seem to cut and paste the actual image here, sorry - but it's cute and she looks much younger)

article: http://www.21stcenturysavannah.com/news/merline-

Edited by akr

[snip] so she's probably more mature than your average 32-year-old fashion contestant on this show, and may also have found it useful at times to adopt a style that says "take me seriously, I'm not a kid"

Are we talking in the past or is a 32 year old woman now considered a "kid?" I'm confused.

Ok, I guess I mean she's trying to convey I'm a seasoned professional, not some newbie two years into her career. And at 32, not trying to look like her only interests are those she had at 22 or 24. She needs, in some of her professional roles, to look and act like she's a professional generation (10 years) ahead of the 24-year-olds. (Not better or worse or trying to convey excess authority, but not looking to be taken for the new young thing anymore, like, say, Blake, but rather as one who was a new young thing and has since built on that and taken it further). 

She seems to have a nervous tic of being ebullient, which I guess must be annoying to work with, but I still wonder why most of her outburst was the same phrase repeated over and over other peoples' faces while the camera wasn't on her, and why Blake's tourettes-like behavior didn't get the same hammering from the edit monkeys.

I just think it must be awkward for someone outside her professional field and outside her usual environment to deal with Project Runway, where making other contestants into outsiders so everyone will stand aside or join in when you bully them is an encouraged success strategy and the judges don't even really pretend that their decisions are based on the rules of the competition or the quality of the work.

I don't know if I've seen enough of her work to have a clear view of it, since she was working as the seamstress for the spit bib on a housecoat last week, but I do think that if Blake had created the jacket Merline made this week the judges would have wet themselves. So I don't exactly blame her for being nervous that it's going to be harder for her to be taken seriously. Hell, the editors of this thing decided that it would be entertaining to show us marginally-talented bitchy human troll doll Joseph humiliating her. She's not wrong.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Perhaps she has Tourette's!!! Lol. Then she would at least have an excuse for her annoying behavior.

If it's any indication of a contestants design aesthetic, then look at how she dresses on each episode. Assuming she is wearing her own designs, I find her choice of material/fabric and clothing design to be so matronly. Whereas with Candice's outfits she has worn, I really like. She has great style. IMO