Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

Oh, and what is with John's DR voice?!  Good Lord.

I think he sounds exactly like that character from The Simpsons, Homer's friend who is always sloshed at Moe's bar. (I think his name is Barney?)

(edited)

Two episodes later I am still confused as to what the beef is between Da, Clay, and Shelli. Da went into another room and Clay and Shelli saw her go in there. Then the other guy (can't remember his name) comes in and asks them what Da'Vonne is doing in there and they don't know. So he asks her. And then Da gets pissed at Clay and Shelli because if they wanted to know why she was in there they could have asked her. Huh?

They didn't want to know (or at least didn't care enough to ask), the other guy wanted to know. So he asked.  Maybe they didn't ask because they didn't give a shit. Maybe I'm projecting because I am putting myself in that position and if I saw one of my housemates randomly go into another room I really wouldn't think twice about it.

I guess being around poker players who lie for a living might make a person a bit paranoid.

As far as Clay saying Da'Vonne was "coming after them" being code for "angry black woman".....I don't see this either in this particular situation, since Da actually IS coming after them, black or not.

I don't even care much for Clay or Shelli and her unnaturally white enormous teeth, but I don't see any racism at play here.  I think they just don't trust her (legitimate) and she doesn't trust them (also legitimate).

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 2

Day's aggressive attitude is what angered Clay; there was no reason for it.  It irritated me too.  The details are a not important.   It was the way Day handled herself with Clay that did it.  

• Love 1

I guess being around poker players who lie for a living might make a person a bit paranoid.

Not if that had given her some skills in telling when someone is lying, which she claimed to have at the beginning. Realizing that she actually can't tell might make her paranoid.

Not if that had given her some skills in telling when someone is lying, which she claimed to have at the beginning. Realizing that she actually can't tell might make her paranoid.

So in that sense - Da bluffed her way onto BB, and is now feeling the strain of realizing her bluff has been called...?

V could probably help Da deal with that. ;>

I concur, Da has proved herself horrible at reading people. I didn't think it was absurd that a poker dealer may have developed some great people-reading skills over the years, but she definitely isn't one of them. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Two episodes later I am still confused as to what the beef is between Da, Clay, and Shelli. Da went into another room and Clay and Shelli saw her go in there. Then the other guy (can't remember his name) comes in and asks them what Da'Vonne is doing in there and they don't know. So he asks her. And then Da gets pissed at Clay and Shelli because if they wanted to know why she was in there they could have asked her. Huh?

They didn't want to know (or at least didn't care enough to ask), the other guy wanted to know. So he asked.  Maybe they didn't ask because they didn't give a shit. Maybe I'm projecting because I am putting myself in that position and if I saw one of my housemates randomly go into another room I really wouldn't think twice about it.

No, Clay/Shelli were clearly the impetus for Jeff's investigations.  From Episode 17.04:

Da'Vonne enters the central room, where Clay and Shelli are in separate beds, then goes into the other bedroom (across from where C/S are).  Clay makes an expression on his face, furrowing his brows as he turns away from looking at Shelli to watching Da'Vonne go into the other room.

Jeff comes out of the room that will soon become the Have-Not room (in the back).

SHELLI:  What?

JEFF (annoyed): You can hear every word [from the central room] through that wall!  

Jeff gestures at the "wall" that divides the central room and the (future) Have-Not Room, which is really more of a partition, since there are cameras which rotate above it (these are the cameras that Chima joked about obstructing in Season 11, for example) which is why sound travels well between those two rooms.  (See Shelly overhearing Porsche complaining about her in S13.)

CLAY: Yeah, I know.

SHELLI: Yeah.

Clay gives Jeff a "come closer" gesture with his hand (holding his drinking glass).  Jeff comes over.

CLAY (quietly):  Da' just walked in there.  Momma Da'.

JEFF (quiet, but surprised expression, his eyebrows shooting up):  Our room? 

CLAY (quiet): Yeah, I don't know why.

SHELLI (a little louder, but not quite normal voice): Go in there, get some gel.

JEFF (similar): Yeah.

Jeff goes over, opens the door just as Da' is coming out.  (Da' later said she was listening at the door, so she probably knew he was coming.)

DA'VONNE: Hmm.

JEFF: 'Scuse me.

They pass each other, her heading up the corridor to the living room while he checks out the room.

JEFF:  Who's in here?

CLAY (quiet):  No one.

JEFF (spinning around and calling after Da'Vonne):  Who's in here? (gestures to room with thumb)

DA'VONNE (almost to the living room by now): Nobody.

JEFF:  Well, what are you doing in there?  (IMO, there's a slight emphasis on "you" here, albeit not full-on "What are you doing in there?"

Clay giggles.

DA'VONNE (incredulous, a little loud): I live here! I cain't just walk around the house? (scoffs)

JEFF: Well, you're just creeping in our room?

DA'VONNE (calmer): I was in all the rooms.  (gestures)

Clay shakes his head.  Da'Vonne can't see this, as he's out of her line of sight, but Jeff can.

JEFF: Ohhhh.

DA'VONNE:  Whoever told you could have just come and asked me, themselves.

Da'Vonne leaves.  Jeff gives Clay a dubious, somewhat nauseous look.  Clay looks at Shelli.  Shelli smirks.

So Da'Vonne did bury herself with the group a little bit, not merely with her investigation, but with her listening at the door, which she gave away by popping out before Jeff even got to the door and also by the "whoever told you", which indicates she knew a conversation had gone on.  And also her "I was in all the rooms" excuse/lie made her look shady, as Jeff damn well knew she hadn't been in the (not yet) Have-Not room.  (Apparently Da'Vonne thought he'd come from the living room.  I guess she missed what he said about the way sound travels between the central room and the back room; probably his volume was enough to alert her that there was a conversation going on in the central bedroom, at which point she stopped counting and went to listen, but she didn't hear clearly enough what he originally said.)

But…that's still no reason for the "our room" territorial crap they gave her, IMO.  Especially if you consider:  what was Jeff doing in the Have-Not room, exactly?  He wasn't sleeping there, as he specifies the other bedroom is "our room".  He presumably wasn't talking to anyone, given that he was able to hear what Clay and Shelli were saying in the other room.  (And no one else came out to join/observe this situation.)  No, it looks like he was doing exactly what he promptly discusses on emerging…he was observing how sound travels from the central room to the Have-Not room.  In other words, he was investigating the physical properties of the house.  In other words, he was doing the exact same thing Da'Vonne was doing.  And yet, he gets all offended about her?  What a flaming hypocrite.

Yeah, better watch out, Jeffy; that black girl is looking to swipe your hair gel so she can sell it on eBay when she gets evicted next week, why else would she be in "your" room?  Stinking hypocrites.  And I'm not even particularly fond of Da', who is IMO the second-biggest over-player in the house, after Audrey.  But rewatching to produce the detailed transcription above just made the BS all that more clear, to my mind.

Edited to remove complaints about Jeff criticizing Da' for being in "his" room when he was in the Have-Not and that's where Da'Vonne sleeps, since (at least according to the episode) the Have-Nots hadn't been decided as yet, then.  But…I went back and watched 17.01 and the bed Da'Vonne claims as her own (she was the first person in the house, remember), where she put her bag?  That's the very bed Clay is laying on throughout all of this.  So Clay is encouraging Jeff's suspicions of Da', because she went into his room, while he (Clay) is actually on Da'Vonne's bed.  Sheesh.

Edited by DAngelus

I think the reason Audrey may make it farther is because no one trusts a word she says, so they can just ignore her for the most part.  She'll always be an 'easy' vote off if/when they need to do so.  But in the mean time, take care of others they want out that are more dangerous because sometimes they tell the truth and sometimes they don't.

Yes, Audrey is a known quantity at this point. No one is going to trust her enough to ally with her for more than one vote, and she would make a great target at any time.

It amuses me that Austin, who seemed to have a target on his back because of his annoying bromance with Jace, escaped that for now. Ditto Jeff and Jackie, who were obvious targets because they were a team on TAR. Instead, Da'vonne is the one, and she has no one to blame but herself. She chose not to make Shelli part of the Fast Forward. She chose not to come up with a reason to go into that inner bedroom. She chose to dial her outrage up to eleven when questioned about her behavior, instead of staying calm and carrying the situation off. She was offended that Audrey was trying to patch up their alliance on her behalf, when it was the only sensible thing to do. She called Audrey out as a liar when most of the house knew that anyway (except Vanessa, maybe).

Yes, other people's behavior was dumb and annoying, but you've got to be prepared to suck that crap up in the BB house if you want to move forward, instead of trying to prove yourself in the right each and every time. No one can control what others say or do, but you can control how you react to them. That's why I see Day as more like Amanda than Audrey is. Neither one of them was capable of standing outside herself and admitting that she could have handled a situation better. Instead, they instantly demonized anyone who crossed them, wrote them off, and went on their merry way exactly as before. The difference I see between them is that Day doesn't have a McCrae puppet to help her, and I don't see Day as being mean in any way. Amanda, on the other hand, bleeds mean. I liked them both in early episodes, and I still like Day, so it pains me to see her play so badly and go home so early. I loathed Amanda and still do, and couldn't wait for her to go home.

I realized that I remembered each player's name after only a couple of episodes. That might have been a result of the two-stage entry and HoH competition. However, had I not known Jackie from TAR, she probably would have been my, "Wait, there's a Jackie?" houseguest.