Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E04: Auditions #4: New York

• Start Topic

(edited)

I swear the Kenya and Connor routine was pulled from SYTYCD routines.  I don't really watch anything else that showcases contemporary dance, and there were sequences that looked HIGHLY familiar.

Pallida, Robert and Amy did a routine to "Say Something," and Kenya andConnor's rather impressive one-handed lift was lifted (haha!) straight from that routine. The rest of it was pretty different. In the Robert/Amy number, there was some dangling off the stage and a lot more angsty hugging.

Edited by AkitaLex

......... The stage side are just going to do contemporary and jazz during the regular shows (I forgot what the street side is doing)? .....

My understanding (from reading Tweets and interviews from Nigel) is that once the regular shows begin with the Top 20, all dancers will be doing all styles.....even ballroom.

• Love 1
(edited)

My understanding (from reading Tweets and interviews from Nigel) is that once the regular shows begin with the Top 20, all dancers will be doing all styles.....even ballroom.

Yes, that's what I read too.  I also read that the street and stage people did not meet in Vegas at the same time.  Maybe, that's why they were able to take more people to Vegas.  I'm guessing that the stage people will do Broadway, Jazz, and Contemporary in Vegas.  The street side will do three different hip-hop routines.  Once the live shows start, then everyone will get a chance to do all styles.  Travis also mentioned that even though there will be one stage and one street eliminated per show, the dances will not necessarily be partner dances.  There can be group dances.  In his blog, he also said that only five of his ten stage contestants were shown in the audition shows.  I think that's unfair to those that were not shown.  Sometimes, it doesn't matter because Tiffany and Jacque made it pretty far.  But we could have done without Mr. Hollywood, Ballet Breaker, and other auditions so that we could have seen all the contestants. 

I swear the Kenya and Connor routine was pulled from SYTYCD routines.  I don't really watch anything else that showcases contemporary dance, and there were sequences that looked HIGHLY familiar. 

They probably took pieces from different SYTYCD dances.  That's what it looked like to me.  They were mediocre dancers and I think they were just different because they partnered together.  I also didn't see a lot of connection between the two of them.  I saw more connection with the two girl street dancers especially from the one that made it through.

Edited by realdancemom

Travis also mentioned that even though there will be one stage and one street eliminated per show, the dances will not necessarily be partner dances.  There can be group dances.

:( I'm probably in the minority on this, but I really like partner dances so I'm kind of bummed to hear that there may be less partnering this season. The partnerships are probably one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, I still tune into the show. I like watching partnering and seeing whether dancers of different styles and ability levels will click or not. In fact, I'm kind of irritated they started the All-Stars thing at all, I get much more bored with the show once the All-Stars show up -- especially since they tend to use the same ones over and over. Those people have had their moments in the sun, I just want to see and focus on the current crop of contestants.

• Love 3

:( I'm probably in the minority on this, but I really like partner dances so I'm kind of bummed to hear that there may be less partnering this season. The partnerships are probably one of the main reasons, if not the main reason, I still tune into the show. I like watching partnering and seeing whether dancers of different styles and ability levels will click or not.

I like them too, and was (well, still am) hoping that the less gender focused division might involve more same-sex partnering, because that brings in a whole different dynamic from the usual heteronormative setup. There has been some in the last few seasons (one of the reasons I'm OK with the all-stars - more flexibility in pairings), but I'd love to see more. As for the groups, I just hope they're not too big. Some of the early-episode huge group numbers have been kind of cool, but it's impossible to keep track of everyone. I'd rather stick with three, or five, max.

It does open the possibility of 2 rather than 1 group numbers, 1 each for stage and 1 each for street.  I always loved when they did all girl and all guy group numbers to fill up time later in the season, but then I'm one of those who wish they'd give less time to the judges' putative stardom and the idiotic narrative arcs and more time to the dancing.

• Love 2

My main wish for the group dances is that they keep them relatively small. I agree that in the opening group dances during the first few weeks when they have 20 people, it's hard to figure out who is who. Five is about the max I would want to see but I would prefer only three or four. I just hope that we see a lot more side by side dancing in the group dances, as opposed to multiple bicycle in the air lifts all willy nilly.

One reason I really began to dislike the partner dances is that when the dancers are teamed together for most of the season, it really puts the new partnerships (formed by the partners of whoever was eliminated) at a huge disadvantage. I preferred S1 when they changed partners every week for multiple reasons. It seemed more fair since everyone had a new partner. I also hated that from S2 on, it was obvious that there were certain dancers who were only sticking around because people at home were voting for their partner.

• Love 1