Type keyword(s) to search

The Forsyte Saga - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Actually, what you learn from literature is that people are pretty much alike, across continents and generations, the same concerns, jealousies and acts of kindness make themselves felt.

i completely agree.  Technology has changed but human nature hasn't. i keep telling people that if you want to learn about human nature, read!

• Love 1
George and Monty like the muppets in the balcony goofing on everyone.

Bwah! Like Statler & Waldorf!  You're totally right.  I'll never be able to watch them again without thinking of "I've seen detergents that leave a better film than this!"

Errol Flynn as Soames was a departure for the actor, who, even five years before filming, would've probably been cast as Bosinney.  ITA that Robert Young is not my idea of hot sex; most probably because I first knew him as Marcus Welby.

• Love 1

Irene always reminds me of Nancy Kulp, plain-janes-miss-jane1.jpg?w=450Miss Jane from "The Beverly Hillbillies."

I'm on team Soames all the way.  Yes he's possessive and controlling, but she married him for security and money and then didn't make the slightest effort to be a good wife to him. It just didn't seem like fair dealing to me.  I thought it was heartbreaking to see his face light up when she said the house plans had "beauty and proportion."  He thought he had finally managed to please her, while she really just meant to compliment  Phil.

We're just now getting this in WOSU area. It all came back to me tonight.  How angry the characters make me and yet how much I love this thing.

• Love 5

Trying to read Attica's mind -- I know, I know, Soames promised Irene that if the marriage didn't take she could be free, but I think she should have realized that at that point he would have promised to walk on his hands for the rest of his life if it would have made her say yes.  The poor idiot couldn't imagine Irene not being happy because he knew he would always give her anything she wanted.  I also wanted to say that I think the actress is beautiful in an unusual way, she just reminds me of Nancy Kulp -- who sometimes played the hot girl when she was young.

• Love 2

Loving this story and the actors, but can only find it every other Monday night on an obscure PBS station. Maybe my library would have the beginning few episodes...

The library is probably a good bet. It used to be streaming on Netflix, but I think it's moved to Amazon Prime.

On 10/27/2018 at 2:01 AM, ChelleGame said:

Just re-watched this all week when I came in from work. Love this series. This is the second time I've seen it and it holds up. Wonder if I should tackle the book.

Sorry for the late reply....  I read the book years ago and loved it. But I'm one of those folks who love long family sagas, like James Michener and Edward Rutherford.

• Love 2