Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

Charlie tests Emma's loyalty; Shafe passes Guapo's test; after his first acid trip, courtesy of Manson, Hodiak helps a fellow detective with a secret.

They sure made sure to address almost every issue possible on this show, huh?  This time, it's about the Hispanic community and how they struggle to be consider Americans (which, sadly, still seems to be a issue today.)  Interesting though: I had no idea that in some cases, lighter-skinned Latinos would just try and pass themselves as white.  In this case, it was the cop who was Cuban, pretending he was Irish, so he could marry who he wanted to, and be accepted by the other detectives.  And, of course, that being exposed, ended up destroying his life.  I wonder if he'll revisit him again.  At least Hodiak talked him down from killing himself.  I'm guessing that shot of the reporter and the cleaner together, was showing that she was the one who told the reporter.

Shafe meets Guapo, and he sends him and Roy to get a shipment.  The brass wants to go ahead and bust them, but Shafe wisely figures out it could be a set-up, so he prevents that from happening.  Now, he's in Guapo's good graces.

So, Emma only left in order to get Rick/her boyfriend from the pilot, and use his dad's credit card.  Yep, she's full Team Manson now.  And I'm guessing that was Grace she, Charlie, and the rest were stealing from at the end.  This is going to get worse, I think.

Hodiak told Charmain not to look into the dead prostitute, but it sounded like he was going it anyway.  Hmm...

(edited)

So, Emma only left in order to get Rick/her boyfriend from the pilot, and use his dad's credit card. Yep, she's full Team Manson now....

When she left Manson, it was after Manson went into a psycho rage because the music recording company executive left after hearing Emma's spiel about Manson's awesomeness, which happened after Manson ordered her to make sure the record exec stayed. So bringing Rick's money to Manson could have provided restitution in the form of enough money for another demo, but I doubt that will happen. We shall see.

Anyway, Manson doesn't accept restitution on any terms that he hasn't devised, so they burglarize Emma's mom while she sleeps, which seems like a dry run for the future Tate break-in and murders.

Emma, the Cuban American cop, and Shafe all have tasks assigned by prickish people who have a tenuous hold on power over a few--with completion of the tasks required to prove that Emma, Moran, and Shafe are good enough to serve these bosses who don't deserve to be followed by anyone. Pretty bleak. And it's all been done before and will be done again.

ETA: This episode shows Christmas decorations, indicating that the show was probably originally planned for fall 2014, which could have killed it, so I am glad it's airing now.

Edited by shapeshifter

And more questions about S01E10 of Aquarius.

http://previously.tv/aquarius/do-hispanic-people-who-are-trying-to-pass-as-white-really-go-all-enchiladas-when-saying-spanish-words/

Is an acid "trip" really like that?

No, seriously, I can't remember, it's been like eighteen years. Then again, when I did acid (the one time! For real) I knew I was doing it -- compare that to poor Hodiak, who didn't know Manson had slipped him a hallucinogenic mickey. I mean, can you imagine? What a nightmare.

But, and I'm not just indicting Aquarius here, doing acid always seems so cheesy on TV. Maybe it is cheesy? I dunno, when I did it I just went to Target, I didn't wander around outside some bar in the '60s. Does it really make you suddenly start quoting "Jabberwocky"?

Well, it's been close to 40 years ago for me, and I can't remember if I did it 3 times or 6. Do mushrooms count? But, no, my experiences were more like being at Target, even if I was wandering around outside of a bar or in a hammock in a hippy commune. I just chalk it up to varying impurities and poetic license on the part of the people making the show.

http://previously.tv/aquarius/do-hispanic-people-who-are-trying-to-pass-as-white-really-go-all-enchiladas-when-saying-spanish-words/

Do Hispanic people who are trying to pass as white really go all "enchiladas" when saying Spanish words?

My 1960s boyfriend could barely pass color-wise for brown (which he was, but he looked black), but no, he never rolled an R, and always hung out with white guys. His sister, who was into being Chicano, would never have used the word "Latino." Do we need an anachronism thread? Did I already ask that elsewhere? Sorry, too much acid in the 60s, no doubt.

Is Hodiak really Jewish?

We'll soon realize that Hodiak was lying about his dad's death, but was he lying about that?

Pretty sure dear old alive Pops did greet Samson with Yiddish. I thought it was pretty interesting (and hopefully not insidiously anti-Semetic) that they have Hodiak being the same ethnicity as Duchovny.

I thought it was pretty interesting (and hopefully not insidiously anti-Semetic) that they have Hodiak being the same ethnicity as Duchovny.

I figure that since Duchovny is one of TPTB on this show, he's probably the one that said, "Hey, I'm half-Jewish, I think it'd be interesting to make my character the same."

• Love 2
so they burglarize Emma's mom while she sleeps, which seems like a dry run for the future Tate break-in and murders.

More of an example of what the Family referred to as a "creepy crawl", where they would break into people's homes while they slept, rob them and do all other sorts of mischief, such as re-arranging furniture and other hijinks. No doubt the Family members stunk to high heaven, but they did this quite a bit and I don't believe they were ever caught in the act. So Emma's mom sleeping through it is believable.

But other than breaking in, there was no similarity between the Tate/Labianca murders and the creepy crawls. Upon entry, they made their presence known quickly to the murder victims.

• Love 2

I felt bad for Moran. First of all, for living in a world where he couldn't be himself, but then being forced to either out himself or be outed by someone who needs to keep their nose out of other people's business. I suppose this could be comparable to LGBT celebrities today who would prefer to remain in the closet but are then outed by a tabloid.

Oof, Emma, I was rooting for you when you ran away. But all you did was bring Rick and his credit card back before robbing your own mother. Get your shit together, girl.

• Love 2
(edited)

The Hispanic editor shows what "pride" is all about.

I cannot believe I didn't realize this before, but the reporter, Ruben Salazar, is another real life person from that time and place being portrayed on this show. Ruben Salazar was a reporter who was heavy into that era's Chicano movement. I don't know if he ever "outed" a cop as actually being Latino, but he certainly was a thorn in the LAPD's side.

In case you want to know more about Ruben Salazar.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 2
I figure that since Duchovny is one of TPTB on this show, he's probably the one that said, "Hey, I'm half-Jewish, I think it'd be interesting to make my character the same."

I've always wondered how someone can be "half" a religion.  It seems like you would either practice Judaism or you wouldn't.  Though, since it appeared only Hodiak's father was Jewish, some variations of Judaism would not recognize him as being Jewish at all.  

I also want to know what drugs Emma's mom must have been on to sleep through that group rummaging, not particularly quietly, through her things only a few feet away from her.  I'd say Secanol, but I didn't realize it made you dead to the world.   

Edited by txhorns79

I've always wondered how someone can be "half" a religion.  It seems like you would either practice Judaism or you wouldn't.  Though, since it appeared only Hodiak's father was Jewish, some variations of Judaism would not recognize him as being Jewish at all.  

Many people consider being Jewish an ethnic identity as well as a religious one. Sarah Silverman, for example, refers frequently to her Jewish heritage but was not raised with any type of religion (didn't have a bat mitzvah, etc.) and is very much atheist/agnostic.

• Love 1

All Jews consider themselves to be of the same ethnic group. You can be half Irish or half italian. Same thing as that.

• Love 2