Type keyword(s) to search

Kim's Marathon Diary: Pained Expressions And Pencil Skirts

I agree with the Kalinda statements, but as she becomes Save-the-Day Kalinda people really love her. The show was surprisingly good from the beginning. They decided to get really great actors for guest stars and continued through the whole series. They add so much to the show, it is surprising that they can do it and you wonder why other shows don't do the same thing.

I actually bought the S1 DVDs a few years ago and only got about 7-8 episodes in before drifting away. I've recently restarted the series through Amazon, and am really enjoying it in general, though I totally agree that the political/Peter/Childs stuff is not terribly interesting.

"They decided to get really great actors for guest stars and continued through the whole series. They add so much to the show, it is surprising that they can do it and you wonder why other shows don't do the same thing."

That's because most other shows don't film in New York. #Amirite

Thankfully, the show figured out pretty quickly exactly the points you are making and course corrected. "The Good Wife" premise becomes less and less important over the course of the show, as they realized that the audience enjoyed the case of the week and law firm stories much more. And that they were criminally underusing Christine Baranski, in another one note character, and started giving her an actual role. Also, I believe in some of the middle seasons, Noth started making a pain in the ass of himself regarding availability so his role got dialed back big time, all to the betterment of the show. Noth plays him brilliantly, but the writers are not Aaron Sorkin (thank God for other reasons) and not nearly as skilled at writing believeable/interesting political stories as they think they are. It does help when Alan Cumming shows up but that's not for a while. Kalinda does get rounded out, as they figured out that they had a star in the making in Archie Punjabi (much to Julianna Margulies dismay).

Yeah, unfortunately Kalinda has no other notes. She was always my least favorite part of the show, and not just because of her extremely wavering "American" accent. Her wardrobe, however, was the bomb.

• Love 1